Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 14th, 2007, 01:40 PM

at a loss

i am a lurker here) enjoy reading all the info you provide. i was wondering if anyone is familiar with renal disease and or pancreatitis. i currently have my cat on k/d, which i dont like and her coat doesnt look that well. Have researched a ton of foods, and unsure what a good substitute would be. She needs to have low fat, sodium, and most important lower phosphorus. While innova and many are good, the phosphorus levels are way way too high for her. she does still need to lose a pound or two, and is currently on wet food, seems to agree with her the most.

any suggestions would be helpful,

Thanks
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:45 AM

hmm did i post this in the wrong threat? or no one here has any experience with renal failure? anyway, thanks for looking at least.
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, loopoo. You might want to repost it in the health forum... Not sure why you didn't get any replies...

I have dogs, and no experience with either renal failure or pancreatitis so I'm afraid I have no advice for you--but I see you're fairly new and wanted to welcome you to the forum. Sorry about your cat's health, though. I hope you get some advice soon.
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Doggie Wench

Hello Loopoo! How does this food sound? It's Solid Gold Blended Tuna Canned Cat Food.

"Product Description Made with Tuna, Tapioca and Canola Oil with vitamins and Minerals. Perfect for adult cats and growing kittens. Ideal as an accompaniment to dry food, to feed alone, or
as a treat.

Protein, Min 13.84%
Fat, Min 2.01%
Fiber, Max 0.01%
Moisture, Max 79.57%
Ash, Max 0.99%
Magnesium, Max 0.011%

Ingredients Tuna | Water Sufficient for Processing | Tapioca | Canola Oil | Cellulose Gum | Calcium Iodate | Biotin | Calcium Sulfate | Tricalcium Phosphate | Potassium Chloride | Choline Chloride | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Oxide | Nicotinamide | Vitamin E Supplement | Taurine | Thiamine Mononitrate | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Vitamin A Acetate | Manganous Oxide | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Calcium Panthothenate | Folic Acid | Riboflavin | Vitamin D3 Supplement | Copper Sulfate | Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex |"

I'll keep looking for others.
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:36 PM

I didn't reply because I didn't see it... The title was a little too close to a "Rainbow Bridge" title, I guess and those are sad... Ok, 'nuff excuses.

I know what you mean about alternatives being difficult for renal failure kitties.. A couple of people here have dogs with kidney issues and it's not easy to figure out a good solution...

With cats it's even harder because they're obligate carnivores, and for some reason the cat food industry lags really far behind the dog food industry as far as options and quality go... Like for dogs with renal failure, Avoderm is an option, but their cat version is terrible.

I don't know what the sodium is in this food, but maybe it's worth look... We'd have to email them for more details..
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/cat...as/VenCat.html
I'll try to find something better...
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Ok, so far, in my quest...

Wellness Healthy Weight and Innova Reduced fat have the lowest fat, sodium and phosphorus content of the dry foods...

Wellness Healthy Weight
Their analysis shows:
Fat: 10%
Phosphorus: 0.73%
Sodium: 0.23%

Innova Reduced Fat
Fat: 10%
Phosphorus: 0.95%
Sodium: 0.25%

For the wet... Still looking... The phosphorus contents in wet are significantly higher than in the dry.
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:30 PM

The hill's k/d you're feeding, according to their website, has 6% fat, 0.09% sodium and 0.08% phorsphorus... and I just can't find any canned with that low phosphorus.

The lowest I've found so far is Felidae Platinum canned at 5% fat and 0.20% phosphorus (sodium's not listed)...
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM

thanks for your replies

Yes it is tough trying to find the right one with lower phosphorus, i will look at some of the brands suggested. I have heard that ultimately too little protein will cause muscle waste and is not a good way to go with cats with renal, and is an outdated mode of treatment. There is something called a phosphorus binder as well, that helps control those levels that i will check into. i am going to the pet depot, I live in Arizona here and do some comparisons they carry many of the foods mentioned. I just want to get her on a healthier food.

Since she has had bouts of pancreatitis i also have to watch her fat levels in food, they cant be too high. Otherwise her appetite is great and her energy level good for an 11 year old cat. I just want to get her off K/D as i hate all the by products and junk and her coat has become a bit dandruffy on it.
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Good luck!