Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old May 29th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Sawdust for Brains RANT

Well I am totally peeved right now. This woman at work got a female beagle last year as a puppy. Today she is all proud that her girl is in heat. She wants to breed it with a pug because "Do you know how much money you can make from Puggles?" I damn near puked right there. I called her a backyard breeder which she took as a compliment. That was until I told her what kind of low life scum backyard breeders are. She did not take that very well. Now everyone at work knows how much I love my critters and everyone who has a problem with their animals seem to show up at my counter for talk, thoughts or sympathy. I walked away from her loudly calling out BACKYARD BREEDER and pointing at her. I put up a huge poster at work in our lunchroom about this nasty practice along with pictures. Perhaps she will come to her senses...I can only hope. Oh yes I forgot to add, she placed an ad for a male Pug for stud. Some twit from Thunder Bay is willing to fly here to have her dog breed the beagle. And I really do not care if I looked like an idiot. I was flaming mad.
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Live well, laugh often

BMD just posted this video in the TJT. I suggest you make that stupid woman sit down and watch it.
http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Now I am crying...again:sad:
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I feel your anger, I dont know why I bother buying the "bargain hunter" anymore... I used to like to "look" but now I just want to call EVERYONE in there and tear a strip out of them...
the only breeding that seems to be going on in our area is BYBing.
Good for you for standing up and voicing your opinion. maybe... just maybe someone heard you and is now thinking long and hard about it.
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Live well, laugh often

Sorry, wasn't meant to make you cry, just sometimes these people need to be hit over the head to get it throught to them. Unfortunately there are still those who could watch that and say it doesn't apply to them cause they always find "good homes" :sad: .
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:49 AM

Stupid woman, but come on, how mature was your reaction? Does that kind of behaviour actually get through to people?

You'll be lucky if you don't lose your job or at least any respect that your co-workers had for you. Why not educate people politely instead of attacking them and making them look stupid?
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:07 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I just saw the ad that she put out.... looking for a stud.
People pimping their dogs out really frustrates me.
I see it as people pimping out their kids. I know thats far fetched but considering I may never have actual children, the dogs and cats are my version of it.
I despise how people assume they have some god given right to breed animals for money.
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Since my boss is my husband I would hardly loose my job...and stupid people bring out the worse in me. This woman is a twit whose only ambition in life is the almighty $. Her dog is not vetted and is that poor beagle only going to be a cash cow for her.
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Copied this off your locked thread. Have your dogs made champion status yet? If not it is called backyard breeding.

Hi my screen name is mmurlock, heres me in a nutshell Im a 22 year old who lives in Southern California. Im a jobless fulltime college student, lol. Most importantly the owner of the two best lil maltese in the world. A female and male, betsy and arnold. I have been studding my male for two years now and plan on breeding my female. I am actually currently in the process of getting my breeding liscense. I love maltese and would love to become a full time breeder of happy puppies who can begin their lives in a nonpuppy mill as unfortunately so many do! I orignally came to this site when my male had a cold, which he is now fully recovered! I guess that covers it!
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:48 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I just watched the video. How sad!!! Everybody should watch this before deciding the breed their animals and take time out to visit their local shelters. I cry everytime I go into one and then I get angry at the irresponsible people that have allowed this to happen.
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:20 PM
-

Shaykeija, good for you for telling her off
Old June 1st, 2007, 12:33 AM

Shaykeija, I totally understand where you are coming from. It is incredibly frustrating sometimes when we encounter BYB in real life when they expect us to be happy about their "business endeavors" and then they just look at us like a dear in headlights when we tell them the truth - they're idiots. Or when they post on here, like we are actually going to give them advice when their dog obviously needs to see a vet, especially when they enforce the BYB name by saying they can't afford vet care or some other pathetic excuse. Then play upset when we call them for what they are.

These people do serious damage to animals and people... I totally understand that politeness isnt the first reaction. And personally, I think a good shaking by someone passionate about the subject, whatever it is, is what is really needed sometimes when people need to change their behavior. Usually more

Last edited by sissani; June 1st, 2007 at 12:35 AM.
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for being so kind. It just upsets me so much to see what damage these BYB's can do. My husband bought Shayker from a BYB for a gift for me. (He didn't know, he just thought it was a neighbour who had some pups) I loved her so much. She was dying from the day she was born. Acute kidney dysplasia. I couldn't save her. She died at 14 months of age and her death still haunts me. Yes I have a strong hate on for BYB's, I am very vocal about it. I would not want anyone else to have their heart ripped out like I had, when Shaykher died. :sad:
And when you read about or see pictures of all these poor animals dirty and in cages a part of you dies. I look into my girls eyes every night and thank god that I have them and that they are safe. My dogs are my joy.
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:33 AM

This board is beyond ridiculous. I cannot believe that the mods are allowing these personal attacks to go on. You guys honestly disgust me. I don't know what is wrong with you and what is going on in your minds. It scares me to think that you are responsible for living beings when you do not even have the social skills to handle online conversations.
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:55 AM

What gives any of you the right to tell people what they can and cannot do with their animals?

Because you rescue animals? Well, hey, so do I. I have had many cats go through my home on their way to a better life. Does that upset me when I see new kittens being born left and right? You're goddamn right that it does! But do I come on here and preach about it? Do I act like a fool to my co-workers? Do I let this control my life and upset me to the point of a nervous breakdown? No. Of course not. I have SELF CONTROL!!!

I have CRIED my eyes out after seeing neglected animals. Each time I see a new case, I am always shocked that there is such evil in the world that can allow a person to let an animal suffer. When I get going, I can definitely get quite upset, but for what feels like the hundredth time: BEING RUDE AND IMMATURE DOES NOT HELP!!! If anything it makes things worse.

You guys all have the upperhand right now; you are educated, you are passionate, and you have a voice. Instead of acting like lunatics, get out there and do something about it. I know that you have your hands full with rescuing, but instead of coming on here and crying to us, or hanging posters of your staff in the office, try holding a conference somewhere. Create a group of like-minded individuals who will promote these ideas locally. Visit a school and talk to the kids about responsible pet ownership. Educate people who don't keep their animals properly. The list is endless.

Rescuing is a necessity and you are all godsends. However, rescuing these animals is simply putting a band-aid on the problem. The only way to do that is through education. Maybe I'm naive, but I believe that people are inherently good. I believe that most people would agree with us if they could see things the way we do. I bet that many of us here have held a dying animal and watched it take its last breath. It's one thing when it's your pet of 15 years, but it's another when it's a young animal that could have had a long life if it had been cared for. These things change people. Share your stories and try to make a difference. Our great grandchildren will still be rescuing cats and dogs and I'm sure that theirs will too if there is a world left by then. But it doesn't have to be that way.
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

To be fair to the OP - they titled their post rant and they are entitled to their rant. It's in a forum titled On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

As an Admin, I'd much rather see these strong sentiments in a rant then directed toward another member.

We're trying hard, again in this period of transition to find the balance. We are trying to Mod less especially when members are not being rude to one another and are just venting.

Thanks!

Marko
ADMIN
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:32 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterless View Post
You guys honestly disgust me.
Then why do you still come back ?
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:17 PM
-

Quote:
This board is beyond ridiculous. I cannot believe that the mods are allowing these personal attacks to go on. You guys honestly disgust me. I don't know what is wrong with you and what is going on in your minds. It scares me to think that you are responsible for living beings when you do not even have the social skills to handle online conversations.
Glitterless... if this is an example of polite, fair and open-minded on-line social skills I respectfully suggest perhaps you need to look within.
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my, I am sorry but I wish people did not use swear words to make a point - it changes nothing and only makes - as my mother, an English educator - as in educator of English tho she would not ID herself as English, lol - people see how low in their vocabulary people are sometimes willing to go, sigh!

I like to debate but I think it needs to be done with respect and integrity! Thanks Marko and others for pointing that out. Just because one does not agree is absolutely no excuse to swear at anyone or to be nasty imho!

Actually I do think you have some good points Glitterless but you do not need to insult me or anyone else to make them. A conference I am not sure of since that again is usually speaking to the converted but do you not think we do the things you are mentioning - of course we do!! Speaking for myself anyway!! I do it every day - for both animals and people - even if it means getting physically attacked for it so please, don;'t make assumptions about anyone. It is unfaur and just unkind!

And I forgot to say wjhat I intended to- that for some reason, I cannot see the video. I may need to upgrade the video player that format is in on this computer.

Last edited by CyberKitten; June 1st, 2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:33 PM
-

Sometimes we don't see ourselves as clearly as others see us.

Quote:
... but come on, how mature was your reaction? Does that kind of behaviour actually get through to people?

... Why not educate people politely instead of attacking them and making them look stupid?
And in a later response, you seem to have forgotten your own advice...

Quote:
What gives any of you the right to tell people what they can and cannot do with their animals?

Because you rescue animals? ... But do I come on here and preach about it? Do I act like a fool to my co-workers? Do I let this control my life and upset me to the point of a nervous breakdown? No. Of course not. I have SELF CONTROL!!! ... for what feels like the hundredth time: BEING RUDE AND IMMATURE DOES NOT HELP!!! If anything it makes things worse. ... Instead of acting like lunatics... instead of coming on here and crying to us, or hanging posters of your staff in the office...
Not to be "preachy" here,... but that old golden rule "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" seems appropriate advice.
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Mum....
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:55 PM
-

Calls it as I sees it kiddo
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:09 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurlock View Post
....but from those that were kind I have learned so much about what and ethic breeder is and am going to strive to learn more before I ever consider breeding
So are we to assume that you have stopped "pimping" out your male Maltese??? Until you at the very least have him genetically tested?
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote/What gives any of you the right to tell people what they can and cannot do with their animals?Quote/

I have to object to this comment,if we know of any animal suffering at the hands of his owner,we have an obligation to help this animal.
I have run in to several incidents,where I have had to interfer.
Nobody has the right to do whatever they want with their animals,they are living beeings and cannot speak for themselves,whether it's a dirty BYB or a miserable dog tied up out in the cold,I just could never ignore the suffering and go on with my day.
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:06 PM
Doggie Wench

Glitterless, I have read many of your posts and I am often impressed and in agreement with your ability to be so objective. However....

Quote:
...You guys all have the upperhand right now; you are educated, you are passionate, and you have a voice. Instead of acting like lunatics, get out there and do something about it. I know that you have your hands full with rescuing, but instead of coming on here and crying to us, or hanging posters of your staff in the office, try holding a conference somewhere. Create a group of like-minded individuals who will promote these ideas locally. Visit a school and talk to the kids about responsible pet ownership. Educate people who don't keep their animals properly. The list is endless.

...Rescuing is a necessity and you are all godsends. However, rescuing these animals is simply putting a band-aid on the problem. The only way to do that is through education.
...I don't know what makes you believe that many rescuers don't already involve themselves in all these activities .

And as for putting a band-aid on the problem, although you may have a point, I think many members here see it rather as 'cleaning up after the fact.' I don't know about your personal experiences, but the majority of rescuers I've had the opportunity to work with do just that. It is they who take in unwanted, elderly, sick, abused, neglected animals. It is they who make the emotional, financial, time consuming sacrifices. It is they who take the time to retrain and recondition animals so that they may find better homes. It is they who shed tears as they hold a suffering and/or dying animal in their arms. Finally, I have to agree, many rescuers do in fact clean up after irresponsible breeders, puppy mill operators, irresponsible pet owners, and the irresponsible practices of some shelters and pounds as well as the inadequate laws governing animal protection.

These members come here to cry and vent because they know they will find other empathizing rescuers who will offer them comfort, support, and strength to continue their work.

And mmurlock, can you not see how your posts and comments can be viewed as antagonistic by many members, especially rescuers? Can you not at least try to understand where they are coming from and attempt to sympathize with them. Yes, many comments directed to you have been what can be considered as extremely rude. But can't you understand why some people just can't help but lose it when they're faced with comments such as some of yours? Just as you see it as an attack, so do they. An attack on everything they bravely work for. They love your animals as much as you do only they know the possible outcomes which they're are desperately trying to make you see.

I was so relieved to read, "...and am going to strive to learn more before I ever consider breeding....." . I'm glad that some members have been able to reach you, and to have done it so kindly. I so admire their patience with what is such a sensitive issue.

I can't recall if you've been properly welcomed to the board yet, but lucky you , you managed to get to the heart of it right from the beginning. Please consider any valuable information offered to you and as you seek patience, wisdom, and respect, please offer it in kind.
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:57 PM

It is too bad, but I bet that video would never be played to a widespread audience. Would be great to get it played during the Superbowl halftime for instance, or even just now and then in a primetime spot.
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:13 PM
Doggie Wench

I never thought of that but what an awesome idea. Who'd pay the advertising spot though? So much money is made through ads during these half times and such. Still would be great to get corporate sponsorship for this sort of thing. Imagine the message getting across to millions of viewers!
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:35 PM

I don't know, that is the problem isn't it? No one would pay that much if there is no money to be made in turn... I'm sure it would require lots of $$$$$$$$ to get that on the air.
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:36 PM
-

I think it's about one million $$$ to air a commercial on Superbowl
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:39 PM

Yeah, would be more realistic to start small. I wonder what a primetime spot would cost. Or even daytime tv, just play it over and over again.