Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old February 15th, 2010, 01:19 PM

tacogirl it is easy to say you don't have to hide it but that is a very naive attitude. my daughter who is now only 25 has friends who were afraid to tell their parents because they didnt want to lose family and be kicked out of the house. there is still plenty of prejudice out there
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:19 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

i think you mean wouldn't don't you.
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Tacogirl, I see where you are coming from. I know you are not out to bash anyone.

For people that are already gay positive, there are other very important issues that affect our lives and our country.
For some gay people, it does seem to be the main topic of their conversations (NOT talking about anyone in this thread). That's cool, being gay is a huge part of who they are. That said...like anyone that only talks about 1 thing, it gets old even if it IS an important topic. Did I put my foot in my mouth?
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by marko; February 15th, 2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by free View Post
tacogirl it is easy to say you don't have to hide it but that is a very naive attitude. my daughter who is now only 25 has friends who were afraid to tell their parents because they didnt want to lose family and be kicked out of the house. there is still plenty of prejudice out there
Absolutely 100% true statement. We as a society have not evolved. I also have a daughter that is dating a somewhat more feminine young man. He is absolutely delightful, but just by his demenour he is labelled. She has a 'need' to defend him...now how sad is that?
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
The day my youngest son,in tears,told me he was not like his brothers,he would never marry,never give me grand-children,I'll never forget..
I hugged him and cried with him,not because I was surprised,but because I knew the hard-ship he would suffer,as a Trans-Gender person.
However,a huge weight was lifted off his shoulders from that day on,a new self-confidence emerged and I am very proud of her/him,as is her father.
After having been bullied and often hurt through the school-years,she now lives the life she was born to live,up until now a lonely life,but I am sure there is someone out there for her too..
I have lived longer than most of you,have met people in many different countries,the only thing that matters is love,compassion and respect for others and yourself.
Awwww, chico, you are the best mom ever . Wouldn't the world be wonderful if everybody allowed his/her neighbour to live in peace, without needless violence and ridicule.

Aslan and Bendyfoot: I can't imagine the pain you have to live through just because of your sexual orientation, I am sorry Every time I hear of Matthew Sheppard, I cry, it is just so upsetting that humans have done this to another human .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:24 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Tacogirl, I see where you are coming from. I know you are not out to bash anyone.
nope i don't see bashing either. just hopefully educating some people whether posting in the thread or just lurking. I guess its harder to understand something if you don't have to live it everyday.
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Papa D

its 2010,why is this even an issue?is this not a pet site,a place where we ALL have a common interest?......aslan your gay?i never knew
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:29 PM

not to thread jack but we are jewish and her bf family is from india originally so we know what prejudice is. the younger goes to school in windsor and always hears you dont look jewish. i always reminded them everyone is equal when they were growing up. heads would have rolled if i heard hurtful remarks about others from their mouths, but that is not the case in many homes.
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdawson View Post
its 2010,why is this even an issue?is this not a pet site,a place where we ALL have a common interest?......aslan your gay?i never knew
yes it is a pet site and as a member i created this thread BECAUSE it is an issue..only straight for you WD.

Love4 this is a song performed by melissa ethridge about mathew sheppard.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQmDlQO61pk
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by free View Post
not to thread jack but we are jewish and her bf family is from india originally so we know what prejudice is. the younger goes to school in windsor and always hears you dont look jewish. i always reminded them everyone is equal when they were growing up. heads would have rolled if i heard hurtful remarks about others from their mouths, but that is not the case in many homes.
not a threadjack at all free prejudice is prejudice plain and simple.
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:57 PM
-

Wowzer...terrific thread all!

As for "sexual preference"...yes, I do...prefer it that is

As for "sexual orientation"... the only time I'm interested in what you do with what is between your legs is if I am interested in what is between your legs.
Old February 15th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Aslan and Bendyfoot: I can't imagine the pain you have to live through just because of your sexual orientation, I am sorry
You know the funny thing, L4? Any hurt I've ever experienced has NOT been because of my sexual orientation...it's been because of peoples' response to it. I'm perfectly happy being gay. For ME, it's a non-issue. It's just one small part of who/what I am. The issue lies with other people, plain and simple. If the rest of the world was more accepting, there would be no "closet", no young people killing themselves, no awkward coming out to parents...none of it. We would all just be. (Wouldn't that be nice?)
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old February 15th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
As for "sexual orientation"... the only time I'm interested in what you do with what is between your legs is if I am interested in what is between your legs.
Well said, well put!
Old February 15th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, great thread, I've read thru it twice.

I have many gay/lesbian friends, infact one of my best friends is a lesbian.
I also have many hetero friends, some who are totally accepting of gays/lesbians, and some who unfortunately are not.

I don't normally categorize my friends based on sexuality, my friends are my friends and I love them all.

My own mother was bisexual. I didn't find out until I was 12 or 13 that she was, and I remember how fearful she was in anticipation of my reaction.
I disliked my mother for many reasons, however, I didn't dislike her because of her sexuality. I wasn't surprised to learn she was bisexual, after two seriously abusive marriages, where she was almost killed, she took refuge in the arms of a woman, and she was never happier nor did she ever feel so safe.
Martha and my mother had a relationship that spanned a course of 5+ years, and I'm sure had my mother not started drinking again, their relationship would've lasted even longer. I loved Martha, she made my mother happy and that was all that mattered.

Someone brought up Pride Parades, some of my gay/lesbian friends, don't approve of them either, some do. The one's that don't, feel the parades do nothing but to marginalize their community even more. They also feel they are hypocritical, because if there were to be a Hetero Pride Parade, they are convinced that there would be an uproar in the gay community, accussing it of being bigoted and such. Maybe their right, maybe their not.
My gay/lesbian friends that do like the parades, and have contributed and participated in them. For them it's the one time a year they can truly be themselves, let their hair down so to speak and have fun.
My personal opinion of the parades, I don't think they are neccesary, but I certainly wouldn't deny the right to host such an event. I've been to a couple to support my friends who were participating, for the most part it was enjoyable, unfortunately, there were also parts that weren't appropriate for children, and since I had my children with me I was a tad annoyed. Now before getting angry with me for that comment, just let me say, that if I seen two Hetero ppl doing the same thing in a public venue, I would be equally annoyed.
I have no issue with showing affection in public, holding hands, a brief kiss, a loving embrace, but for people in general, there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.
I have faced descrimination over the past 20 years, for being married to an unorthodox Jew. A relative of ours recently had a racial bigotry spray painted on her garage door and fence. It's a human condition, and if I were a betting person, I'd wage that altho things have and will change, there will always be descrimination, hate, bigotry and fear.
It's unfortunate that we can't embrace our differences, it's unfortunate that some people refuse to accept others simply because it conflicts with their religious upbringing. It's most unfortunate, that some people have to inflict their children with their own insecurities and bigotry, therefore keeping descrimination and hate alive.

That's just my 2cents......

btw....when I found out I pregnant when I was 17, my mother threw me out in the street, no support, no nothing, gotta say that was probably the worst day of my life.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)

Last edited by Luvmypitgirls; February 15th, 2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
yes it is a pet site and as a member i created this thread BECAUSE it is an issue..only straight for you WD.

Love4 this is a song performed by melissa ethridge about mathew sheppard.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQmDlQO61pk
Thank you aslan, of course the tears flowed again . I just can't imagine living with such hate and anger as these murderers do.

Quote:
Wowzer...terrific thread all!

As for "sexual preference"...yes, I do...prefer it that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
You know the funny thing, L4? Any hurt I've ever experienced has NOT been because of my sexual orientation...it's been because of peoples' response to it. I'm perfectly happy being gay. For ME, it's a non-issue. It's just one small part of who/what I am. The issue lies with other people, plain and simple. If the rest of the world was more accepting, there would be no "closet", no young people killing themselves, no awkward coming out to parents...none of it. We would all just be. (Wouldn't that be nice?)
I am glad you live your life to please yourself, not others . You only have one life to live!

My daughter works with a young gay man, he was kicked out of the house by his parents when he told them he was gay . I can't imagine parents having such conditional love for their children . He is the sweetest young man.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:01 PM
-

well said LMPG,,,, yup there are things that happen durring the parade that are just uncalled for, such as public nudity. I also don't think it's neccessary to grope each other in public, jeez get a room..

Unfortunately you're right there probably will always be hate and discrimination in the world.
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:02 PM
-

Quote:

My daughter works with a young gay man, he was kicked out of the house by his parents when he told them he was gay . I can't imagine parents having such conditional love for their children . He is the sweetest young man.
omg wow !
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:02 PM
-

Quote:
sadly i don't have to imagine it, i lived it..you've met me, do you get the impression i care what people think of me. Either you like me or you don't not going to be something i'm not for anyone.
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
A relative of ours recently had a racial bigotry spray painted on her garage door and fence.
wow again .... I can't believe people !

I've tried to watch the movie "Mississipi burning" the other day and I was sick to my stomach. I was well aware about this but still , things like this makes my blood boil.
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Sorry for the sadness in your thread LMPG

As far as overly sexual displays in public parades are concerned, I agree, NOT appropriate at all. I can easily see how it happens in a festive parade....but inappropriate.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
sadly i don't have to imagine it, i lived it..you've met me, do you get the impression i care what people think of me. Either you like me or you don't not going to be something i'm not for anyone.
aslan....I haven't met you, and I get the impression you don't care what people think, and that you are not going to be something you aren't for anyone. Nothin' wrong with that, I'm the same way.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old February 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
aslan....I haven't met you, and I get the impression you don't care what people think, and that you are not going to be something you aren't for anyone. Nothin' wrong with that, I'm the same way.
lol, not from lack of trying on my part FG was just working me sooo hard..this is why we get along mf.
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
lol, not from lack of trying on my part FG was just working me sooo hard..this is why we get along mf.
Yessssss it was all FG's fault, therefore from this day forward I will refer to her as "Theonewhohoggedaslanthewholetimeshewasouthere"... ..
If you are ever out this way again, I would love to take you out for dinner or something, ya can come over and meet the pitties and the rotti, meet the hubby and the brats.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old February 15th, 2010, 03:22 PM
-

well last i heard i'm supposed to be there in sept to gut FG's bathroom so i would be there longer, and i would loooove to meet your puppers and family,,i was trying to meet up with SCM while i was there, nope didn't happen. i did get to see FG's bare bum tho.
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
well last i heard i'm supposed to be there in sept to gut FG's bathroom so i would be there longer, and i would loooove to meet your puppers and family,,i was trying to meet up with SCM while i was there, nope didn't happen. i did get to see FG's bare bum tho.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old February 15th, 2010, 03:28 PM
-

actually i have a picture of it too.
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:33 PM
One dog at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
..'if you find love, regardless of which sex it comes from, then you are that much richer than those that are closed to it. If you are loved once in your life...then who cares where it comes from, or what form.'
OK, I'm going to jump in here. First of all, I completely agree with the quote above. I have always said that if you are lucky enough to find true love, take it.
That being said, my oldest brother is gay and I have nothing to do with him. Before you get all excited here, my decision to not have a relationship with him has nothing to do with his sexual preference. He is an alcoholic who treated my mother like crap, he is a self-centered, arrogant, condescending, full-blown a$$hole. He also sexually abused me when I was five years old and has the nerve to say that my memory of that was "planted" there by my counselor. Get over yourself. Just thinking of him makes my stomach hurt.
He will announce to anyone he meets, literally within the first few minutes, that he is gay. Who the hell cares? He has actually gone into job interviews and when they ask if there is anything else they need to know about him, he offers them this information. Again, who cares?
I have had several gay friends in my life and have loved all of them dearly. I don't care what their sexual preference is (just as I don't care about their color/heritage/religion/political affiliation), I care about how they treat me and their general attitude in life. I have had friends who I "suspected" were gay but it never was a big deal to me. They always "come out" to me and the only reason I can think of is that people can feel (or just know somehow) whether someone else will accept them as they are.
I also firmly believe that people are born with a determined sexual preference. As was said earlier, why in the world would anyone CHOOSE the discrimination that comes with being gay? I believe that ALL people should have the right to marry who they want. I also don't believe that any one group should get special privileges, meaning that if gay people just living together and not married get the same benefits as married people (insurance, etc.) then EVERY committed couple just living together and not married should get it also. The main group completely against gay marriage are usually the "bible-thumpers". I really, really don't intend to offend anyone with that term and I apologize if I do, BUT this group is always quick to quote the Bible as the determination that homosexuality is wrong. First of all, and this is my opinion only, the bible has been re-written by man (as a species) so many times, who is to say what, if any, of the original text remains? I don't believe that any "superior being" would allow a person to be born with a preference that would automatically condemn them.
My outlook on life is to "live and let live". As long as what you do does not affect me or my loved ones in negative manner, I will accept you as a friend.
*off my soapbox now*

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:39 PM
-

my Lodi girl,, very well said thank you..i'm sorry for what happened to you as a child. And i believe people who discriminate use the bible to hide behind..it doesn't say in the bible that we'll burn in hell, it says' we'll never rule in his kingdom,,,jeez the fags don't want to rule they just want to decorate. rotfl...

MMM you're going to learn a whole new meaning of gay bashing..
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:50 PM
-

Quote:
MMM you're going to learn a whole new meaning of gay bashing..
Frick you did see that didn't you

By gay bashing you mean as in "we'll have a gay ole time?"
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM
-

Quote:
Frick you did see that didn't you

By gay bashing you mean as in "we'll have a gay ole time?"

wasn't quite what i had in mind, but if you pick me up on the way to hazels we'll talk about it.