Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 21st, 2007, 01:43 PM
Performance Spaniels

Wellness and NV using Menufoods?

Anyone's thoughts on this? Old Mother Hubbard's site says their food isn't effected by the recall, but they don't say they don't use menu.. This news article claims both NV and wellness use menufoods.. Sketches me out a touch. That along with TO refusing to disclose who makes their food...

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmate...ews/ci_5477581
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:15 PM
Senior Contributor

might be time to strat home-cooking for awhile....

Even though SG isn't in the recall...all this stuff is making me nervous....
You're carefull to feed your dog in two meals to avoid bloat, you take him in for his shots so he doesn't catch some horrible disease, you treat him like he's one of your kids, and he dies from the food you put in his bowl. You think you're doing the best for them, you know? It's all so sad :sad:

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:24 PM
-

Wellness is made at the same place by the same company as those <insert your own description here> lesser quality foods ???
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM
-

Very interesting....thanks for posting MP. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. And, also interesting to read that Menu Foods will not return any of the calls.

I just emailed Wellness (Old Mother Hubbard) and Nature's Variety asking them whether they do use product from Menu Foods even though none of their foods have been recalled. Will post my replies....if I get them.
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:33 PM

Thaaaaaat's why!!!

Solid Gold's statement was one of the ONLY ones I found that said "Menu foods does not produce any of our foods". Most of the other ones said, "None of our foods are affected by the recall". Biggggg difference.

Of course Wellness and NV won't be recalled- they don't have wheat.
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:40 PM
-

That's right....it is a BIG difference. If the statement in the article MP posted is true, I wonder how many other "premium/holistic" companies are using product from Menu Foods. And, I wonder what exactly they are purchasing from them. Obviously, not any wheat product but I wonder WHAT???
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:41 PM

Who knows!? It's so aggravating. When Solid Gold comes out looking like the most honest and upfront, we know we have a serious problem. :sad:
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:43 PM
-

Well, hopefully I get an answer from Wellness and Nature's Variety.
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:50 PM
-

Timberwolf has the same "our foods are not affected by the Menu Foods recall". I've emailed them asking if they are manufactured by Menu or in the same plant ~ I should have asked if they sourced any of their ingredients from Menu.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:39 PM
Performance Spaniels

I think I may cry.. I thought all those menu foods statements were written in an icky funny way..
And then when I was shown this article I was like please don't be true.. And even with these foods not being recalled, I have a huge ick factor going on..
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:41 PM
-

I hear ya MP ~ I simply do not know what I will do if I can't use Timberwolf .:sad:
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM

I'm fairly certain Natura foods also gets Menu foods to make some of their canned foods (the Nebraska plant apparently). Natura makes Innova and California naturals. I'm still not sure how I feel about this. I disagree with Menu Foods experimenting on animals with foods they knew likely were harmful, but I also understand the need for pet food companies to out source some of their production, especially for canned stuff (which requires more rigorous processing and such). And just because every pet food from low to high quality is produced in the same plant does not mean it uses the same ingredients- I would hope that companies like Wellness and Innova have separate suppliers for their ingredients, especially because they are advertised as being natural and human grade. That said, I'm hoping to start using a grain free kibble produced locally once Helix is old enough and it becomes available (or possibly Orijen,as that's also a "local" food). It makes you think though!

On another note, Canidae said that their foods are not processed in the "same production facility" but they do not specify by the same company (Menu Foods) indicating they could be produced in another Menu Foods plant not in Canada.

Last edited by Cram; March 21st, 2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:59 PM
Kitty Consort

This is all so distressing, it boggles the mind.
The fallout is absolutely overwhelming in scope....:sad:
Talk about shattered trust..

I feed Innova tinned to my cats. Their website states this.
SPECIAL NOTIFICATION: Natura pet foods are NOT affected by the recent Menu Foods recall.
But... is that good enough?
Do they use any product?

I have pet food paranoia.. cant help it.:sad:

I think I'm going to feed them my own cooked food for a while.
Like all of us, I opened the tins, filled the dishes and offered their meals with loving confidence I was doing right by them.
Now.. I look at it with fear..
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cram View Post
I'm fairly certain Natura foods also gets Menu foods to make some of their canned foods (the Nebraska plant apparently). Natura makes Innova and California naturals. I'm still not sure how I feel about this. I disagree with Menu Foods experimenting on animals with foods they knew likely were harmful, but I also understand the need for pet food companies to out source some of their production, especially for canned stuff (which requires more rigorous processing and such). And just because every pet food from low to high quality is produced in the same plant does not mean it uses the same ingredients- I would hope that companies like Wellness and Innova have separate suppliers for their ingredients, especially because they are advertised as being natural and human grade. That said, I'm hoping to start using a grain free kibble produced locally once Helix is old enough and it becomes available (or possibly Orijen,as that's also a "local" food). It makes you think though!

On another note, Canidae said that their foods are not processed in the "same production facility" but they do not specify by the same company (Menu Foods) indicating they could be produced in another Menu Foods plant not in Canada.

I just sent emails to both Natura and Canidae. Will post if I get replies.
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:13 PM
-

I received confirmation from Wellness (OMH) that they received my email and would reply within one business day.
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:15 PM
Kitty Consort

Thank you Rainbow for doing this. I hope they respond to you.
My cats dry food is Felidae - very interested in the replies from both of these companies.
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM

I just called Natura. Their foods are made at the Menu South Dakota plant.
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalou View Post
Just the canned (wet) food?
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I just posted about one of my vets saying Wellness did not use that ingredient but I don't think even he is aware of this asnd he was interviewed on the local news yesterday! Grrrrrrrrr!!!!

I think I am going to learn how to home cook for cats - lots of protein tho he did argue against raw and with all the bacteria at al, I a,m not sold on raw!! So I will doing lots of research and making my own food I think. This is too scary!!!!!

The laws are going to have to change and be treated the same way human food is. (and even it could be better but it does work for the most part).

There is a class action law suit against that company I hear. I don't want to get to that part tho.....
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:44 PM
Owned by goldens

Wellness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalou View Post
Are you serious? I was worried that we weren't getting the whole truth but never thought that Natura or any of the other holistic foods would associate themselves with Menu foods? This is very bad, in my opinion.

I e-mailed Canidae and will hopefully get a response.
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:46 PM

That's what makes this recall so bad compared to others, IMO. It really could have been any of the foods and any of our animals.
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:47 PM
Owned by goldens

Wellness

I just read a report on Yahoo news and it says the company is not sure that wheat gluten is responsible. So here we are all thinking that we are okay because there is no wheat gluten in our foods and it could be something else that is in our food.
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:50 PM
Boss-lady!

Here's the announcement from Canidae's website:

Quote:
Industry Can Recall

In light of the unfortunate current can recall by other respectable pet food manufacturers, our phone lines and emails are tied up with concerned customers. We want you, our valued customer, to feel secure with the continued use of our canned products. CANIDAEŽ canned foods in no way is affected by the recall, nor are any of our products produced in the recalled production facility.

CANIDAE Pet Foods also does not produce cuts and gravies, pouches, and does not contain corn, wheat or soybeans in any of our products or formulations.

Our heartfelt concerns go out to all those affected by the recall.

CANIDAE Pet Foods
While it is reassuring, note that it does not say that their products aren't produced by Menu, only that their canned food isn't affected, and not produced in the same facility. That's a bit dodgy.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah and I just verified that Wellness is made at that plant. OK, that;s it for me!! I need to find a new food. (Other than search for recipes!!) Any suggestions?
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:54 PM
Boss-lady!

And here's Petcurean's press release:

Quote:
PETCUREAN PRODUCTS NOT AFFECTED IN MENU FOODS RECALL

Petcurean Pet Nutrition advises that no Petcurean products are involved in the recent Menu Foods recall of canned pet foods.
Then they direct you to Menu's site.

Arrrghhhhh! And Dancer has been doing so well on a combo of Felidae dry and Go! Natural Canned food. Now I don't know what to think!

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:16 PM

I was under the impression that only canned foods were affected. (scared) Is it possible something will happen to my boy from eating Wellness kibble?
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:32 PM

My thought is, if these "good" companies are using crap companies to produce their foods, who the heck knows WHAT is going into the foods...

Thank God I went back to raw. Now my only concern is my cats.
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:01 PM

Natura has their own dry food plant and I believe Menu only produces canned food. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:11 PM
Mom to a Hairy Little Son

I can't take it anymore

I find all of this distressing. And I work in a pet food store. I can't even in good conscience recommend ANY foods!!

I supplement P's Innova Evo kibble with Wellness cans. Not only that, but he was having itchy problems on the Evo so I just started switching him to TO.

I going back to raw. Thank you for letting me vent!

Last edited by One Beagle Girl; March 21st, 2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: edited to add i feed wellness cans
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

But I am scared of raw too - I see too much of it as a physician I guess, too much bacteria, salmonella - with raw, one does not need to be concerned about recalls because there is always the possibility of problems. Tho I did for a while give my cats chicken hearts and then thought OMG, what am I doing? At least tho you know what kind of illness you might get tho - that is something.

This whole thing is scary and frustrating!!! I am serious - I am going to get recipes,. Remember that show Providence where one of the characters had a Barkery- she baked stuff for dogs (don't think she served cats) and the father was a vet? Not that I thinkj it's real and I am going to write for recipes, lol but there must be recipes for cats on line somewhere!!!!