Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Best organ meats?

Okay, so I think I've put together a fairly solid recipe for making the patties I mentioned in my other thread for my mom's 7-month-old poodle.

1 lb ground lamb
1 can of Solid Gold Beef Tripe diet
1 whole egg
2 leaves of kale
handful of blueberries

The kale, egg and blueberries I'm going to puree together and mix in with the meats. I want to add liver and heart to the recipe, but I'm unsure of how much. I was just going to eyeball it.

In my research, I found that kale and blueberries are high in antioxidants and other nutrients, so I decided to throw those in there since mom said Baxter wouldn't touch the veggies she'd offered him. Of course, it's my mom, so she just tried giving him whole carrots and broccoli instead of pulverizing them and mixing them with meat.

Also, I found some products by Free Range Dog Treats. They have dehydrated lamb lung, trachea, etc. I was wondering which choices would be best to use as a treat. I'm leaning toward the trachea at the moment, because the patties will already have liver, heart and tripe in them. But their "trail mix" has a good mix of muscle, liver, lung and tripe so he wouldn't be getting the same thing all the time. I'd get both, but the stuff is pretty pricey. What do you think? The trachea or the trail mix?

Last edited by JulesMichy; February 14th, 2008 at 11:11 AM.