Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 13th, 2015, 06:22 PM

My cat is mean and i cant make him listen

So me and my wife adopted a cat off Craigslist in late july early august. he was 6 weeks old and was very fond of biting. fast forward to now in december he is about 5 months old and has been nurterd but he continues to not listen and bite alot. we have tried everything from a squirt bottle to playing with him for extended periods of time every day but nothing stops him from doing as he pleases. he has taken a liking to playing with the blinds and now climbing up our christmas tree. we snap at him and point and tell him no but nothing is working and im worried about him becoming full grown cat and being just as violent. what are we doing wrong and what can i do to stop this kind of behavior.
Old December 13th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat...ing-rough-play

Your cat is not being mean animals don't think like people . Does he have any toys to play with and if he was found outside he may had to learn how to defend himself by biting other cats. I would him give time out when he does try to bite you . Go do something else and try playing with when his is relax . There a lot of info on line on how to stop a cat from biting or being aggressive .
Old December 14th, 2015, 09:47 AM

It sounds to me that your kitty is just like mine........a bit on the wild side
He's probably just playing although those bites may not feel that way to you. I would make sure he has a good solid cat tree to "attack" so he can get out all his aggressive playfulness on that instead of you. You can still interact with him when he's in the cat tree but protect yourself by using a long cat toy stick with something furry on the end that he can bite.
When he's tired from all that play (they're playing is to mimic attack and kill) then pet him gently and calmly on the couch away from the cat tree and at the first scratch or bite firmly say no and walk away. No more petting or cuddling. Your kitty will learn. The cat tree is for biting and you his human are for cuddling.
My cat is now 11yrs and has calmed down significantly in the past 3 yrs Cuddling is still on his terms though and we respect that otherwise we get bit
Just like people, cats come with all kinds of personalities. I've had three cats in my lifetime and all of them have been a handful over the years. My good friend however has had two cats and both have been cuddly lap cats that have never bitten. Go figure
Old December 14th, 2015, 12:47 PM

Hello Xanark:
Welcome to the forum.
Hope fully you are getting some information that will help you. Here is some more.

We've been cat people for a couple of decades. Fortunately we haven't had this type of problem, perhaps due to the fact that we are a multi cat household and they have all got along quite well. This may explain why we haven't had the problems that many single cat households have with your type of issues. The cats have always played with each other and maybe took their frustrations out on each other rather than us. As Lynne has already said, some cats are cuddle cats and some are "4 on the floor". The art is in trying to read them.

I have picked up a couple of web sites that might be of interest to you. "How Stuff Works" is about 12 pages which gives you a good cross section on feline behaviour that is well worth the browse. The other is on cat aggression off Pets.ca

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pet...-problems1.htm

http://www.pets.ca/cats/articles/aggressive-cats/

Can you send along some pics of your kitty and what do you call him?
Old December 15th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I wanted to chime in...but the advice you are getting is already fab.

Thanks everyone!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter