Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 6th, 2011, 08:00 AM

Dog abuse question

Hello,

There's a woman who lives near my mother's house who has a dog that she is seriously neglecting. This woman lives alone and doesn't talk to anyone. She has her dog chained up outside 24/7, rain or shine. He doesn't get any exercise at all, he seems depressed and either sleeps all day on the lawn or walks around in circles. The woman seems to feed him but I find him quite skinny. He gets no human contact because nobody ever goes to the house. I think she bought him just so he could bark if someone approaches the house. What can I do about this? Is this a case of dog abuse?
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

swetvanilla,what I did a few years back,about a very neglected old Beagle..outside 24/7 winter and summer(not tied)....I took several pictures of the dog,e-mailed them to Humane Society and they were there within days.

To me and others,I am sure,tying a dog outside 24/7 IS animal-abuse,but I believe,as long as the dog has shelter,food and water,it is not illegal

If you feel this dog is not getting what he needs,I would report it,the poor guy only has people like you to speak for him.
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

does he have shelter? access to shade, water, food? if so, I'm afraid there is not much that can be done, can you offer to walk the dog for her? Do you know what the by law is in your town/city for chained dog?
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvanilla View Post
Hello,

There's a woman who lives near my mother's house who has a dog that she is seriously neglecting. This woman lives alone and doesn't talk to anyone. She has her dog chained up outside 24/7, rain or shine. He doesn't get any exercise at all, he seems depressed and either sleeps all day on the lawn or walks around in circles. The woman seems to feed him but I find him quite skinny. He gets no human contact because nobody ever goes to the house. I think she bought him just so he could bark if someone approaches the house. What can I do about this? Is this a case of dog abuse?
It would help if you told us where you live....if you are in Canada it would depend in which Province as their laws differ.
Old May 10th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Senior Contributor

continue calling, check the by-law in your area, call the spca or humaine society and report it, keep at it until you see results
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG AC,that would bother the heck out of me,those poor dog,some people are just heartless jerks
Like Melinda says,keep at it,hopefully someone will listen

Is it possible they are 'fighting-dogs',kept out of sight so nobody will know???