Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 23rd, 2007, 05:18 PM

Nerve damage in cat

About 8 weeks ago my 13 year old cat (Howard) was hit by a van. He sustained a broken pelvis, a large gash on his tail and one of his front legs was paralysed.

The tail has healed and his pelvis is healing but the front leg is still pretty useless. He's able to move it from the "shoulder" but from the "elbow" down he seems to have no use of it. He holds it up as he's walking.

He does clean it and clean himself with it. Sometimes he shakes the leg. When he's on his side, stretching, that leg only moves about 50% of the other one and it's never straight out like his other leg.

The vet says that accupuncture will not help in this case as it will not regenerate the nerve damage. Is this correct? Is there anything I can do that might stimulate the nerves and help regeneration?

Any help would be gratefully received.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have never experienced one of my cats being hit by a car. Do you know an accupuncturist that will work with a cat? If so and you can afford it, I would definitely give it a try. Bodies work in amazing ways and are always surprising doctors who have vast experience!
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:18 PM

My cat came home dragging/doubling over her hind leg last spring which turned out to be nerve damage (we still don't know how she did it, nothing else was damaged ). The options my vet gave us were wait to see if the nerves regenerated, see if she learned to walk with the leg like that, or amputate the leg. He said there was no need to rush into amputation and that we should wait a few weeks. It was amazing how quickly she learned to walk with the leg not working properly (with a day or so) and within 2 weeks, the nerves had started working again and she seemed to be okay. She still has good days and bad days but for the most part runs around like normal.

Unfortunately, you say it's been 8 weeks which I would think is past the point that the nerves might regenerate but you never know. My vet said even if the nerves hadn't come back or had only come back partly, as long as she kept the leg clean and wasn't in pain, she would be able to keep the leg. Animals are so good at adapting!

I don't think accupuncture would hurt (but I'm not a vet or an accupuncturist! ) so why not try?

Best wishes to your kitty and good luck!
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Poor Howard

With my baby Rocco it has been 15 days and he still isn't using his front leg I can't tell if his shoulder is working or not he sure gets around though he still has his cone on from his lip surgery and I think that hampers him Our vet perscribed steroids for him. He is cleaning his leg not biting it We go back Saturday to see what they say . Hope your baby heals well sounds like we have twins I will be following this thread to see what happens ((((((hugs))) to you
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:04 AM
~Cat Servent~

Best wishes for both of you and your kitties!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:15 PM

What a wonderful response I'm new to this forum and I really want to thank you all so much for your kind wishes and advice.

I spoke to the vet who does accupuncture and we're going for our first session on friday. He maintains it won't help regenerate the nerve, but it might improve muscle tone - and to be honest, I'm willing to try anything to help my wee pet.

Here he is by the way.

P.S. I really hope Rocco does ok, please keep us updated.
Old September 27th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Handsome boy you have I chuckled because it seems we have a salt and pepper thing going on here You will have to let me know if the accupuncture helps. I took Rocco's cone off last night he has healed well on his lip and he is in heaven with the freedom, one happy fellow! Watching him closely he seems to be able to use his shoulder which is good. I massage daily and that seems to help.I am not going to rush with amputation as long as he is not in pain or its hurting his general health I guess time will tell with that. Anyway its nice to not feel alone with this. I am so glad I found this site Continued healing prayers, good thoughts and hugs for Howard

Old September 29th, 2007, 04:41 AM

Well, Howard managed to sit still for about 20 minutes yesterday, whilst the vet did his accupuncture. It could have gone horribly with flying claws and needles, but he was as good as gold (probably terrified to move!).

The vet said the accupuncture should help the blood flow to the area and the muscle tone, but it's unlikely to regenerate the damaged nerve. Still, any improvement will be good. We'll probably have about 4 sessions, by which time we'll know if it's helping.

I've been trying some amateur physiotherapy, using a ping pong ball! When he's lying down I just roll the ball towards his bad leg and he takes a swipe at it. It gets him using the leg if nothing else.

Rocca and Asia are beautiful by the way I think Howard is probably Rocco's evil twin. I'm really pleased he's a bit happier with his new freedom. How's the leg now? Is he getting about ok?
Old September 29th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Beautiful kitties
I have not commented on your posts,I've only read them.
Usually if a cat gets hit by a car,that's it for them:sad:
It's wonderful to read you did not just give up on your wounded kitties,like many would,and that they are doing so well
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Good for Howard

luskentyre

What a good boy sitting still for the doctor. Rocco is getting around great. He gets a little miffed not being aloud outside but he will get over it lol Asia on the other hand has taken a dislike to Rocco and he's her son? She hisses and even swiped at him yesterday It was better this morning I think she is jealous of all the attention he is getting will have to remember to give her extra TLC too. I also do play therapy with Rocco he pounces and its like he doesn't even know his leg isn't working I definitely see that his shoulder is working now. We take him for his vet check up today
chico2 I really feel blessed that I didn't lose him
Old September 29th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Beautiful kitties
It's wonderful to read you did not just give up on your wounded kitties,like many would,and that they are doing so well
I must admit, things looked pretty bleak for Howard when I saw him after the accident. He was in shock and didn't recognise me, and they thought he was blind as well. The vet had doubts he would last the night...

The vet asked what I wanted to do and I just said "I want to give him every chance". He's my baby, what else could I say? When I got him home 3 days later, he could only move by dragging himself along the ground by his one good front leg. I did wonder if I was doing the right thing, but was prepared to persevere and give him that chance.

Today we went for a walk around the garden (with a harness, so he wouldn't stray), so I guess it's a good thing I gave him that chance.

Roccoisus - It could well be that Asia is slightly jealous, so best to give them both plenty of fusses. How did Rocco get on at the vet?
Old September 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Kitty pimp

amazing you still going to the acupucture?
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:36 AM

luskentyre
Rocco did well at the vet his lip is all better they are still hopeful that time may heal him and as long as his leg is warm and he isn;t hurting it or hurting from it we will just hold off on the amputation I need to get a harness he would love a walk in the garden Hope Howard continues to heal I know with Rocco when he dragged himself home he looked at me like FIX me there was no way I was going to let him down my blued eyed baby boy lol Let us know how the accupuncture is coming along ((((((hugs)))))
Old September 30th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

PLEASE keep cats strickly INDOORS!!!!! I am happy to hear that your cat is doing well.

ACO22
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:19 AM

ACO22
No fresh air what so ever? We are planning to build a cat run for next spring so that the cats can bask in the sun like they like to do Thay will have access to it threw a basement window......not a good idea?

luskentyre
Hows Howard doing today?
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:53 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I walk my kitties in my backyard, one is on a harness because he is a runner and the other just follows me, they are so happy when they are outside, I just couldn't keep them as indoor only.
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Same with me,today we were outside for 4 hours(we're retired)raking leaves etc and the cats love it.
But of course I would NEVER let them out on their own.
Old October 1st, 2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
amazing you still going to the acupucture?
Hi Jim - yup we have another 3 or so sessions to go. Next one is on friday.

Roccoisus - I'm so glad to hear that Rocco is doing well. I hope Asia is being a bit kinder to him now!

Howard is doing well thanks, although his bad paw is still limp. He does use that paw to bat the ping pong ball with, so we play with that to keep him using it.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Glad to hear Howard is doing well. Are you seeing any improvements from the acupuncture yet?
Old October 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM

Nothing yet, although he does seem to be able to stretch his bad leg a bit more when he's lying down. That could be the ping pong practice though!

He managed to catch a mouse that got into the house this morning - so I'd definately say he was improving!
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:22 AM

wow Howard sounds like he is doing better I am so glad Asia and Rocco are getting along now were even sleeping on the same bed
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I think Asia just did not like the way he smelled coming from the vet,the same thing happens with my three,whenever one has been to the vet.
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM

luskentyre
Hows Howard ? Rocco is doing good I am sure he will never be 100% but he is happy and content and getting used to be a inside only kitty

chico2
I am sure you are right dh was home yesterday all day because of rain and they got along wonderfully
Old October 9th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Hi Roccoisus - Howard is doing "ok" - he zooms around the living room after his ping pong ball, but there's no real improvement with his front leg

He's desperate to get out, and isn't really taking to the harness. He was a feral kitten and I'm not sure he'll ever adapt to being an indoor puss. His second acupunture session was fine - two more to go. The vet says that, if there's no improvement and he has to have the leg off then he'll probably cope better than he's doing now.

I just really, really wish there was something I could do to save his leg...
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:41 AM

Hi luskentyre Glad Howard is doing ok sorry there isn't any impovement in his leg yet though Rocco is about the same as Howard except he seems to be able to use his leg from the elbow up now elbow down nothing. He is really very good about the indoor thing haven't tried a harness yet maybe next spring. He zooms around too. My vet said I wouldn't have to have his leg off unless it got cold to the touch or he was hurting it or was in pain from it. So I just keep a close eye and hope for the best.I still massage daily he uses me as a hammock lol I gave him lots of window seats . I'll that the acupunture does help (((((((((hugs)))))))))
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by luskentyre View Post
He's desperate to get out, and isn't really taking to the harness. He was a feral kitten and I'm not sure he'll ever adapt to being an indoor puss.

I just really, really wish there was something I could do to save his leg...
He will eventually get used to the harness, persistance and patience is key. Cats do like the stimulation of the outside world and fresh air, I think he will appreciate being outside for bits of time even on the harness.

accupunture will help.
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Cat Paw Nerve Damage

Hi Guys,

I was very interested to find your posts as I am going through a similar thing with my little Siamese Thai. She broke her femur(thigh bone) in her back leg last May and it was a pretty bad fracture which was repaired with a pin and a wire wrap. Everything as far as the fracture is concerned healed just fine and the pin was removed about 6 weeks after the fracture. We then found that the paw had no feeling and was knuckled under when she walked. The vet thought that the pin had caused some irritation or damage to the sciatic nerve. They thought that within a time frame of about 8 weeks that it should resolve. However, after 8 weeks there was no change and her paw had frozen so that it would not bend for the toes to be placed on the ground in a normal position (they only bent under). We then decided that maybe the wire which is usually left in place should come out, as that may be the cause of the irrritation problem. So Thai had another surgery to take out the wire. We are about 5 weeks out from that surgery and she is doing just fine as far as running around and playing (she runs as fast as ever). Unfortunately, the paw is still bent under when she walks. She originally had feeling down as far as her hock. Now I have the idea that the feeling is starting to creep down towards the paw. I hope so. I pinch her toes every so often to see if she pulls away and sometime she does and sometimes not. We are still doing stretching and bicycling exercises with her leg and trying to force those frozen toes to bend up. She has worn off all her fur from walking on the back of her paw, but the skin has thickened and calloused so there is no damage to the skin and flesh. She is not self mutilating either.I do believe that she is starting to regain feeling and that the nerves can regrow as long as the nerve sheath is intact so that the nerves can grow back together. I think that it will be a long, long process as they grow very slowly. I hope that your kitties are doing well, and don't give up hope that they will recover. Please post again and let me know how things are progressing. I think that the main thing that helps is doing therapy with the leg and paw so that the muscles and tendons do not atrophy to the point of no return.

Best wishes to you both.
Thai's Mom
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:08 AM

tycats
Hi and welcome to our little group of gimpy cats lol I will never give up hope and even if Rocco must have his leg removed and after reading many heart warming stories of kitties who have, he will be just fine. The back leg must be very tough! Rocco drags his paw a bit and it gets dirty but still has all his furr It seems if he is tired he drags it more when he wants something like his treats or out the door ( which is a no no and he is getting used to the idea) he keeps it off the floor.I work with him daily massage, movement, play ect and I think its helping if anything he's getting his TLC Not a lot in here to intertain him like the outside world did. I've made numerous window seats for him and that seems to help at least he can watch birds ect. I also leave the TV on when I have to go to work He doesn't seem to go so stir crazy that way. You'll have to keep us updated on your babyThai. I feel a kinship here. Its just nice to talk to someone who is going through some of the same things

luskentyre:
How are you holding up ?Hows Howard holding up? Sending contiued for him
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:53 PM

Thanks everyone - for your continued support and hope.

Tycats - I really hope that Thai continues to improve. I think you're right when you say it's important to keep the limb exercised. I can't imagine doing bicycling exercise with Howard though!

Roccoisus - Sounds like Rocco is getting some wonderful care and attention there! Have you asked about acupuncture?

Love4himies - Aye, I'll persist with the harness. I had him out the other night and he keeps heading underneath the car - you'd have thought he'd steer clear of the underside of vehicles now!

Howard has his third acupunture session tomorrow. I've noticed that there's a thin pin-like object moving under the fur on the shoulder of his bad leg. Will ask the vet about it tomorrow. Forgot to mention that the x-rays showed some arthitis in the damaged leg as well - I'm not sure if that is making matters worse at all.

Thanks everyone, for making this Scottish interloper welcome on your forum, and for the moral support.
Old October 11th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Still Bicycling

Hi Everyone,

It's great to have this site where we can compare notes on how our "babies" are progressing. I must say that Thai's problems don't seem too bad compared to some of you. My vet said that she won't need to have her leg amputated unless she starts to self-mutilate or her paw gets too abraded and the skin gets constantly infected. When she walks she doesn't drag her foot she walks normally on it but it is just folded under when she puts her foot down. When we do our excercises I find that the best way is to sit with her held like a baby on her back, and then pull her back leg out straight and push up her toes. It sounds like she would be resistant but she actually seem to take it OK she seems to have accepted it now. Her main problem seems to be the atrophy of the tendons especially in her toes. I really do think that feeling is starting to return. She will quite often pick up her leg and shake it as though she is having a weird feeling in it. Is anyone else noticing their cats doing a similar thing. I think that the acupuncture idea is very good and even though vet's will tell you that it won't regenerate nerves, I think that there is more to acupunture than most people realise. So I think that it is well worth trying and I hope that Howard gets some good results from it.

If I can figure out how to post a photo on this page of Thai I will do that. If not maybe some of you computer whiz people can tell me how you did it.

I will be checking back soon to hear how everybody is doing. The Attached photo is of Thai after her last surgery complete with "lampshade"

Best wishes to you all,
Thai's Mom
Attached Images

Last edited by tycats; October 11th, 2007 at 07:45 PM.