Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Question GOOD Cat food for weight loss?

Hi all!
I'm new here, and have a question please... I'm writing on behalf of my almost-5-year-old cat (who sucks at typing, grin). We need some advice from other cat owners!

I was told by the vet that Luna isn't toooo big, but should lose about 1.5-2 pounds (she's 14 pounds now). She has always eaten Nutro's Natural Choice brand of food, either indoor or weight management varieties, and she gets a 1/2 cup of kibble once a day... canned food twice a month as a treat only. Sadly weight is food-related, she doesn't get much exercise in my 650 sq. ft. apartment.

What do you think / know of the Nutro NC brand?
What other quality foods can I try for her to get her to lose a little weight?

I'd like educated information on good healthy cat foods please - and I know everyone will have an opinion... my vet suggested Hills Prescription Diet - cause that's what he sells... and its pricy, For me cost doesn't matter much, but health does.

ANY thoughts / advice is appreciated, thanks! In mutual cat-loving respect,
~Scary
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Diet foods are usually loaded with fillers. Just feed less imo.

Two food I highly recommend are Felidae & Innova Evo.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

is there any way you can get her out on a leash for a walk? i found a great way for Roland (my kitten) to exercise (although he runs around like a looney most of the time) is to sit outside the bathroom and throw his springs (plastic ones from the pet store) into the bath. he runs back and forth fetching and bringing for as long as i will sit there and throw them. of course if your kitty is not terribly playful or you dont have a bath tub, this advice is of no use. . sorry i cant be more helpful, i dont know much about food for overweight cats.
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

well, if it helps at all, my own 2 cats are a bit pudgy... or as they like me to say "big boned"....

Mine like Wellness Super5Mix Lite, and I think the Wellness brand is a good food. (I do think it's a bit pricey though - then again, I'm feeding 2 cats)

now, if I could get them to join a gym I'm sure they'd drop a few pounds... Maybe I should let them out in the dog pen this spring w/ a milkbone strapped to them....I'm just kidding! but Tucker (my dog) would get them to run.....
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:23 AM

Original Poster again :)

Thanks for the suggestions so far... more are welcome!

RolandsMom - I tried that when she was little, but she was terrified and hates the harness... I had to give it away. I do play with her, as much as she's interested... but its usually only 2-3 minutes and she's done.

Scott B - I haven't heard of those brands, do you know where I can get them to read the bag and maybe try? Any idea of cost (not that it matters, just curious).

Jessi76 - That was funny! I've seen Wellness brand, can't recall where though...?

Thanks everyone! Anything further is appreciated.
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

You should be able to find these at Global Pet foods.

Check the websites

Innova Evo - http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...D%271255%27%5D

Felidae - http://www.felidae.com/cats/cat_and_kitten/dry.html

Cost wise the Felidae will be cheaper. The Evo a bit better though.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:31 PM

EVO it is...

Thanks again Scott - what a great website that Natura one is... I think I'll try the EVO.

By the way, have you seen this site? Its dog food only, but I was told it was an independant ingrediant-only study done, non-biased... and each manufacturer's cat food brands would rank similarly...

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:52 PM

hi Scary.
thats a great choice. just do it SLOWLY! i realise each cat is different but i just tried to change Roland (6 month old kitten) to EVO from Neutro natural choice and it was too hard on his little tummy so ive had to stop. might try again when he gets a little older. also maybe get some digestive enzymes to help out too. i think i did this too late. and yogurt apparently is very usefull too. it helps keep their digestive tract in gear.
good luck! just take it really slowly first and see how it goes. they (and by they i mean the people at my pet food store) say start out with a 7-1 ratio and work it up from there for a week.
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Cool

Thanks RolandsMom, I'll do that... I have just about four days worth of her old food left, so once I'm cutting it with the new it should last that week.

What was your tip-off that your kitten's tummy was upset - litter box findings or other? My 'Luna' doesn't act that differently unless she's VERY sick (only once so far in 5 years) so I want to know what to watch for... thanks!

Actually as I'll be out of town for three days and she'll have to be boarded :sad:, at least she'll be boarded at my vet's so he can keep an eye on how she transitions too.
Cheers, Scary
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:23 AM

It wasnt chronic diarrhea (yes litter box findings) just his usual times but it was pretty watery ( i know). his behaviour didnt change in the least (well maybe he lost a tiny bit of weight) so at least there was no worry there. just the diarrhea. all back to normal in one day with yogurt and white rice. maybe give her some of that (the yogurt) with the change just for good measure. let me know how it goes, id be interested to see how another kitty does on it from Neutro!
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Mom to a Hairy Little Son

Many vets are now recommending feeding only canned food for weight loss with much success. Dry food is usually higher in calories than canned, often contains unnecessary carbs, and the 'diet' varieties often don't seem to satisfy the cat's appetite. I'd also try and stay away from Science Diet, it's just not very nutritious.

As for exercise, you could try a laser light .

Good luck .

Last edited by One Beagle Girl; March 14th, 2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: oopsie
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Hi RolandsMom - yes good to know, thanks. I'll definately post back once she's done the switch, or during if I can... it would be interesting to see how another cat reacts doing the same transition between brands... though Luna is a bit older - five next month. Where does the time go?

Hello One Beagle Girl - I may give her some more wet food than her normal 1 can every 2 weeks as a treat, though I had heard the opposite before (that wet food doesn't have much nutritional value, its more like candy to them). She'll still get good kibble mostly, as its best for her teeth (which are great for her age my vet tells us, and we don't want that to change!)
On the laser, great idea! I do have one and it drives her crazy that she can't catch the red spot... I haven't used that in a while so will dig it out of her 'toybox'.

Thanks again all!