Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 20th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Prednisone,side-affects???

Does anyone know if there is any side-effects to Pred,like loss of appetite or such,I forgot to ask the vet.
I'm having a hard time giving him the 1 pill a day,since I already disguise,his Tapazol in a spoon with food.
I decided to give him half a Pred morning and night instead,but Rocky does not eat as heartily as he used to anymore and he has to eat,cannot lose any more weight..
He seems fine,was outside most of the day with us today.
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Chico my experience with pred indicated some animals drink lots of water and urinate frequently. Some I know it also causes some agression and hunger issues....probably depends on the cat.

I have crushed pred between 2 spoons....super easy and sprinkle it on the food and stir it around.....they never notice!

Good Luck MF...cats are so darn hard to pill.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Hi Chico! Our Mal pup is on pred. He was on a 50mg dose but 4 days ago he dropped to a 10mg dose. Our vet said excess drinking/urination and excessive hunger are the main symptoms, which of course, he has lol. He cannot get enough to eat or drink. It may be different for cats though, not sure.
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Our Vet said the side effects on dogs are significant but cats seem to tolerate it quite well. We have seen no side effects at all in our Sadie-cat who has been on 5 mg every other day for years. I don't remember how many years, maybe 5. Sadie will eat it crushed in her wet food or in chunks if we arrange the chunk in a wet food containing blob on top of her food. Good luck.
Old June 20th, 2010, 07:32 PM

Also there is a link between Pred and diabetes.
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:07 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What amount of Pred is he on chico? When Brownie was taking it it helped with his appetite. For the first while he ate like gang busters. Is Rocky on a certain amount for a few days then dropping to say, half that? Cats can not tolerate Pred for a long time. I kept Brownie on it because his prognosis was not good and it kept him eating.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 21st, 2010, 06:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's everyone
Rocky having HyperT,has been eating and drinking like gang-busters before,which is one of the effects of HyperT.
I can really not see why he needs Pred to increase his drinking..
14+he takes 1 5mg pill/day,I have 90 pills,I've had to split them up to 1/2 morning and 1/2 at night,since I also have to give him the Tapazole 2 1/2 daily.

Winston,I crush a Tapazole pill in a soup-spoon,add a bit of food and he licks it up,but the Pred is a bigger pill,I add it(also crushed) to his food in the bowl and hope he'll eat it.
Old June 21st, 2010, 06:47 AM
Senior Contributor

like everyone else said, Daisy was on it for 9 months and she drank like crazy!
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:23 PM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

Hey Chico2, Oscar was on Pred for quite a while. Usually they have increased as opposed to decreased appetite according to the vet, and that was certainly true with Oscar - he almost doubled his food!

As mentioned by others, most cats don't really register the side effects but they certainly can. Oscar became very aggressive - mostly just toward one of my other cats but there were hunks of fur and drops of blood everywhere if I didn't keep them apart. I was very pleased to take him off it!!

I was never very successful at tricking Oscar into eating the pred - the pill was big enough that he had to eat too much food in order to get it all down. The best success I ever had was in giving him McFriskies. They never get that kind of flavor-enhanced yummy fast-food-like food anymore, so when I offered it up to him (all prednisone laced), he lapped it up!
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:26 PM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

Oh, and the vet's almost certain that the use of pred over such a long period with him contributed to Oscar's urinary tract and bladder problems. Male cats are susceptible to them anyway and Pred can contribute to it. Remember that if/when you take him off it, you have to taper it down. The vet probably told you that, but just in case... I had a friend who hadn't been paying attention and her cat got very, very ill because she just stopped the dose.