Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 14th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

12 hours to go......soooooo nervous

I am a mess, Olivia gets picked up in 12 hours for her travel to her spay. I have a zillion things running through my mind......what to do, what not to do, what I think I shouldn't do.....how will Dexter be without his girlie for a day, will I sleep (going on 15 hours no sleep now)
bahhhhh.......I am a basket case right now!
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM
chronically insane.

lol calm down! were you able to get an appointment at one of the vets that were giving you a hard time?

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:53 PM
-

Kiddo. Nerves + insomnia are the worst. Then comes the paranoia. It's hard to think logically. Re-assurances are great but I've always got a "Yabbut, what if..." .

I usually try some major-knock-the-lungs-right-out-of-you exercise, do lots of abdominal/ yoga breathing (yoga if you do it) then watch an intense or hilarious movie. My fave relax -me-please tea is peppermint.

It'll be over before you know it. Hang in there.
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:28 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

DCH. I know hon. I know. Every single one of mine I'm a basket case. 'Course some would call me a basket case anyway. We'll be thinking of you and Livvy tomorrow sweetie. everything goes according to plan. Just think afterward - no nasties any more.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 14th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Thanks, but I am still so nervous. I wanted to scrub the cat room down, wash out the boxes, put all the beds in the laundry......all I keep thinking is infection. This is my first "spay" for a kitty. Phoebe's was already done when I got her, and little peanut didn't live long enough to get spayed. All I have had are the boys, and after the dope wears off, they are good to go. I am scared she won't be able to get in the litter box, or get on the bed, or climb the stairs.......or OHHHH goodness there is sooooo many questions.......
Old April 14th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

oh and Kathryn, they are driving four hours to a low cost spay neuter clinic, Olivia is going with a car full of little ones that need to be fixed, one group went today, and another bus load goes tomorrow.
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:02 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatharmony View Post
oh and Kathryn, they are driving four hours to a low cost spay neuter clinic, Olivia is going with a car full of little ones that need to be fixed, one group went today, and another bus load goes tomorrow.
oh dang that stinks you all have to travel so far!

i've take in over a hundred cats and kittens to be altered and have taken care of them afterwards (ferals, fosters etc) and I've only had one major problem surgically related, and it was several years ago when a newbie vet neutered one of my foster kittens at the time and messed something up that caused him to bleed out pretty bad, but an overnight stay at the shelter & he was fine my aunt ended up adopting him anyways and now a few years later he is totally fine. otherwise the only other problem I had was a minor one was with Socks because she had kittens right after I found her... she developed mastitis and had to be on antibiotics for a week or two.

otherwise.. i've teched on 10,000+ spays and neuters for cats at this point now when I factor in the other clinics i volunteer for still and when I worked at the shelter... I'd say complications happen in maybe 1-2% of cats (the majority of which have NEVER been to a vet and are usually random strays)... of those maybe 1/4 of the complications are actually serious.

Do pets die from surgeries? Sure.. but do people die in car crashes? Yes.. and much more often.... complications are rare.. Even vets with minimal experience still rarely have any major problems.

Amira goes to get spayed on Tuesday, so we can recover our kitties together

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Senior Contributor

dch...try and calm down, I know it hard but try. Cause Olivia will know your upset and that will effect her. Did u get some of thatNewspaper News litter? That is so the little won't stick to her stitches.

When Mirabelle was going to get spayed I was nervous too as I had only had willie done before. I kept Mirabelle in a room by herself for the first few days after surgery , so no stairs for her and no kitties to play with, I wanted her to be kept quiet. Her brother O'Shawnnessey was done at the same time, but he was ok in a day. After a few days I let O'Shawnnessey in for a visit but when he started getting too rough he had to leave. I was told just to keep an eye on the incison to make sure it didn't look infected.

Maybe for Olivia's long trip u could give her something with your scent on it to take with her?

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sending lots and lots and lots of for Olivia and for mom one huge !

She'll be fine (I know easy for me to say, not so easy to do).

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:30 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good luck to Olivia, dch! More s for you!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

well she is off and on her journey. I gave her my jammies in the kitty cage with her. She was NOT happy being in the cage, she was freaking. I kept her out of the cage till the last possible few minutes so she didn't over stress. Which got the boys all upset, Amos had a fight with the dog. I had to put him in a room upstairs to cool off. Thank goodness Zoe just took the beating, and trying walking away, he was some miffed. He is very protective with the little one. I had to ban squeeky toys to outside only now, because if he hears on do a long squeek he comes hunting for the dog thinking it is the baby squealing. But hopefully now, with no more heats, the wailing and squeek noises won't tick him off.
So I was told she will be home around 5-6 o'clock this evening. I am going to make her a little recovery place, not too sure I like her coming home so soon, but i will keep an eye on her. Is there anything I should watch for? When they drop her off I will get instructions, but I want to be prepared.
Thanks for the good vibes and hugs, I sure need them.
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:16 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It's ok my friend.
I always find keeping my females in a large dog crate for a couple of days after surgery really helps. They can't jump on furniture, get into trouble roaming, and I can see what they are doing. Sometimes all they want to do for the first day or two is sleep.
You can check her incision for redness and oozing. If there is none of that she is fine. If she insists on cleaning it too much you could try an Ecollar but I have never had to use one on any of my girls. Or boys come to think of it. A little cleaning is ok.
Make yourself a calming cup o' tea and find a good book. Or take Zoe out for a long walk. That might help. Did you ask them to call you after she is out of surgery?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Yes I did ask them to call, but I understand they could be busy. There was quite a few heading out to get done. They said they would definitley call when they were getting ready to head home.
Dexter won't eat, he is looking for her. Giving him some extra cuddles. Amos has his eye on the dog. I must make a mental note to keep Zoe gentle, I remember how much she mothered Dex when he came home from his neuter, she will be all over Livvy.
One of my main questions is should I offer her food? I know with the boys they stayed for 24 hours, so they were hungry. But she is only gone for the day, so I don't know?
Thanks so much,
I am off to scrub the bathroom with a toothbrush, I find that busy detailed things keep my mind pre-occupied......so off I go.
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:44 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Yes I did ask them to call, but I understand they could be busy. There was quite a few heading out to get done. They said they would definitley call when they were getting ready to head home.
Dexter won't eat, he is looking for her. Giving him some extra cuddles. Amos has his eye on the dog. I must make a mental note to keep Zoe gentle, I remember how much she mothered Dex when he came home from his neuter, she will be all over Livvy.
One of my main questions is should I offer her food? I know with the boys they stayed for 24 hours, so they were hungry. But she is only gone for the day, so I don't know?
Thanks so much,
I am off to scrub the bathroom with a toothbrush, I find that busy detailed things keep my mind pre-occupied......so off I go.
You can put food down for her. If she wants it she'll eat. If not she won't. I never pushed it on any of mine.
LOL When you finish yours you can come do mine.

Old April 15th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Willing cat servant

Little Olivia must be spayed by now I think. I wonder how is she doing...
Best for the little furry angel
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

she still is not home yet........I am getting really really nervous. Was suppost to be home between 5 and 6.........haven't heard anything either......mannnnnn I am a basket case
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

dcm...Maybe some of the s/n took longer than expected. Or maybe the vets are just making sure everyone is ok before they start their way back home.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

No news is usually good news, dch There's likely just a delay somewhere...maybe some of them were still a bit loopy or they got in an emergency case and everything got bumped a little later? Is there anyone you can call for info?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

I hope it is just something simple, like traffic on the bridge. Small hold up at customs, something like that........but I am really starting to freak out a bit. And Dexter isn't helping, he started off just cooing looking for her, now he is all out wailing and pacing.......the dog is wound up...........
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sure it's just traffic, don't u worry.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

she just got home........ohhhhh my poor kitty, all wonky.ohhhh .........poor little livvy.....they said she was a trooper. oh geezzz.....
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:25 PM
150% PRO S/N

What a tough day for her and for her mom. I am so glad she is home now. Maybe her and mommy can both get a good night's sleep. NO MORE HEATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In a few days she will be back to normal.

Old April 15th, 2011, 06:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Whew! Glad to hear she's home safe, if a little wonky! Now for a quick recovery!! Is Dex happy she's home?

Old April 15th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

she wanted out of the cage, started struggling, so I let her out, she kinda wobbled to the hidey hole under the stairs, fell down, wobbled again and went under. Dexter was right under there with her in no time. I can see her little head and dexter's big head, he is curled right around her. I would take a pic, but Zoe's gigantic head is blocking the rest of the hole.
Should I move her litter box for her, closer to the hidey hole? I broke down the sides so it is back to a kitten litter box and I put just a tiny bit of litter in it. If I ask questions, then I wont go into full blown panic mode.......
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad. The hardest part is over

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

whaaaa??? the hardest part is over.........really? Can you tell my brain that?? Just reading the paperwork, they took her to Boyne City Michigan. Never heard of it.....
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:40 PM
150% PRO S/N

Aww Dexter. He's protecting the baby. How sweet is he?
What she is doing is normal DCH. Really. She will be a lot different after a good night's sleep. Just leave her to rest. Momma's a bit of a worrywart, huh? It's ok my friend.
I'd just let her rest and check her every once in a while. She's home. That's the important part.

Old April 15th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
whaaaa??? the hardest part is over.........really? Can you tell my brain that?? Just reading the paperwork, they took her to Boyne City Michigan. Never heard of it.....
Oh yes, just keep an eye on her incision. I would offer her some food, but don't be surprised if she doesn't eat it. I found with my fosters, some eat, some just want to sleep.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 15th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yep the hardest part is over! she will likely sleep like the others mentioned...I just wanted to say I am glad she is home and now you can relax...well sort of
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Worrywart......who me??? NO, never. Cool as a cucumber.....
I really would like to thank you all for your support, and well wishes. Means a lot to me. And +14, you are one heck of a special lady, thankyou so much crazycatlady!