Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 28th, 2010, 10:46 AM

GSD training needed

hi all. im new to this wonderful place. i have a 7 month old gsd. his name is chase. im looking for a trainer in the cambridge ontario area. hes a great dog but really dosent want to listen. hes very stubborn like me.

i got my last dog from pet select in geulph 5 years ago. he was a mix of... well to be honest with you not even the vets were sure. he was the best friend a person could have. he was the love of mine and my wifes lives. very intelligent. everyone loved him. his name was russell. in april we had to put him down due to linphoma.

he was easy to train. tell him once and he understood. not like my new boy chase. i guess i had it easy with russell.

anyways any help would be great. thanks

zoli
Old November 28th, 2010, 12:03 PM

Hi, I am not sure what a GSD is (I am allergic to acronyms), but I sure know of a really good trainer south of you. If you want to drive a bit it is in Flamborough township on Brock Rd. just north of 5th Concession Rd. You will find McCann's Dog Trainers on 929 Brock Rd. They aren't cheap but they are very good. I took my late lamented Golden Retriever there for two semesters when she was a bit less than a year old and she learned to become a model citizen. Like most professional trainers, they try to train the humans to work with their dogs and it is a skill that stays with you whatever dog you acquire through your lifetime.

You can check them out here:

http://www.mccanndogs.com/main.htm
Old November 28th, 2010, 12:13 PM

thank you. i just contacted the place i got my last puppy from. and it just so happens he now trians GSD(germen sheperd dog) for the police and military. i told him i just need some obedience training. hes happy to help me.

thanks again for your suggestion.
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:59 AM

I haev a a 3 year old GSD and just wanted to offer words of encouragement!! a GSD, especially a male one, is a very smart dog but one that also will not just accept anyone as authority and will gladly try to become the 'man' of the house -- we learned that quickly and with some consistent training and some rules it is amazing how smart and eager they are to please its a serious dog that needs serious training/consistency and all should be well -- good luck!!

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM

training

i am going thru the same thing with my very stubborn german short haired pointer...he is almost 6 months old, and is extremely stubborn, and dominant. he starts obediance classes in a couple weeks, thank goodness,lol....he is very smart, and quick to learn, however, he is extremely difficult because he is so strong, fast, and tries to become the alpha male. it is so important to teach them that they are not the leader of the pack. they have to know that you are the leader, otherwise they can become a danger in my opionion. good luck to u.