Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old February 4th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Goodness Gracious DD...You and your family have been through alot lately. I hope everyone comes through and everything goes back to normal for you. Hope your hubby recovers as quick as possible and you can bring him home soon. Some good Italian food should raise his spirits
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you all again for your support and wishes. I so appreciate it. It gives me strength to read this at the end of a long day.

My sister and her daughter are doing okay. I assume they have good medical coverage over there, they would have bought insurance for sure. I know my sister will be getting an MRI next week and then will decide if she'll stay there for treatment or come home to Canada. Her daughter is doing fine also.

DH had a bad day today as the Unit he is in was short staffed and he didn't have someone at his beck and call all day. He was in a foul mood because they put him on the commode then didn't come back - he says for hours - but I doubt that. He told me I had better be there all day tomorrow. Which was my plan anyhow. But he had cooled off bytonight. Tomorrow he'll get his prosciutto and cheese. Wish me luck, he's still not eating enough. He had a bit of soup today and some fruit, but not much. The dogs don't seem to mind the hospital food! I make sure to tell the nurse what he's eaten and what I've taken to the dogs out in the car so they don't think he's eating his full meals or something.

Anyhow, they're talking about moving him to a regular ward soon. They don't seem too concerned about the blood clot at this time. They said it is small and they'll check it again on Monday with another ultra sound. It's still his blood pressure they're fighting with. They'd like to have that under control before they move him.

So it's 10 pm now, we've all just got home and had a bite of dinner and now we're off for a walk. Hope you all have a great weekend!
Old February 5th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Wow DD, you certainly have a lot going on. to you and please remember to take care of yourself. You need lots of rest.

Glad to hear that things are at least on the upswing But it looks like it will take quite a while to get back to normal.

being sent your way.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Well, I guess being well enough to be growly is a good thing . Poor guy, I wouldn't want to be stuck in a hospital bed either, much rather be home.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 5th, 2011, 02:53 PM
-

Glad that you at least don't have to worry about your sister and her daughter being so far away right now.

Poor hubby though .....I hope he has a better day today.
Old February 5th, 2011, 02:59 PM

sooo sorry

i am sooo sorry to hear. i don't get on hear as often as i like, so i just heard today what happened to your husband. what a horrible thing! thank goodness the injuries arent worse, however, i just feel terrible for you and your family. i wish i could be there to assist u in any way u need. i am praying for your husbands speedy recovery, and i hope that u have all the help around u during this difficult time. please continue to keep all of us posted. may your husband be held in gods healing light. your husband is so lucky to have u at his side during this terrible time....sending u warm hugs....
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Holy catz, DD!!! When it rains it really pours for you! Hope your sis and niece are on the mend!

Glad to hear that hubby maybe won't need surgery. Sending more your way, and you're in my prayers, as well.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 6th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel perhaps I should move from the "Wet Coast". When you live in the rain forest you gotta expect to get rained on - apparently alot!

DH had a much better day today. He ate his bocconcini and he ate his prosciutto, then he had some icecream and tonight a friend brought him some home made pasta with meat and he ate a bit of that. The nurses are happy and would like to have the leftovers! So while he's not eating their food, he is at least eating a bit now. I really hope this jump starts his appetite.

He got out of bed to sit in a chair for an hour then had a little walk part way through the ward. Very tiring for him.

His blood pressure is still too high, and the blood clot is still there, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens with all of that. For now no surgery and that's a very good thing.

Very tiring for me. My son met me at the hospital first thing this morning and picked up the dogs (after a visit) and I have been there for 13 hours today. Maybe not so long tomorrow... So I have to go make my bed now and then collapse into it. I'm so ready for bed!
Old February 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yay that he's eating!!! Love how the staff all wanted his leftovers!

I hope today went as well as yesterday did!! And that the rain stopped. The only problem with moving away from the wet coast this winter is that just east of the Rockies you end up in the arctic...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 6th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

So glad he's eating DD! i'll take some of the left overs too . not that i would eat them. not eating much myself but thats because its hard to eat and breath at the same time from my mouth. lol. Hope his bleed pressure comes down soon. are they watching that blood clot? those things are scary. many and love to you. get some rest!

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:26 PM
You can call me DOG!

I'm feeling a sense from myself and others suggesting that you must take care of yourself too DD.

You'd be no good to anyone if you're drained and exhausted. Take a few "me hours" and get some rest--K?

Great to hear hubby is doing better and make sure you hide all them there ladders!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:48 PM
-

LOL ....he knew that if he held out he'd get some good Italian food.

Glad that he ate and was able to get out of bed for a bit. Sure hope that they can get his blood pressure under control and that blood clot dissolved.

Hope he had a good day today and please take care of yourself.
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey all, today was, well crappy! I woke up with a migrane. Wonderful. Got to the hospital to find out that DH had a terrible reaction last night to a sleeping pill they gave him. He hadn't been sleeping so he asked the Dr. for something to help him sleep maybe. I told the Dr. that he had reacted strongly to the sedative earlier in the week for the echo cardiogram, but the Dr. said not to worry it's a very mild sleeping pill. Hah!! They won't be giving him another one of those any time soon! He pulled his bed apart, took his robe off, pulled his IV out, and all day he was hallucinating like crazy. He kept asking me why the roof was leaking water, who was standing in the corner, how come his bed was upside down. It was so horrible to watch him like that. I had myself a good little breakdown - but not in front of him.

I wasn't worried about his health, it was just so sad to see him like that. When he would fall asleep he'd have the saddest look on his face. Then all of a sudden at about 4pm he looked at me and said, I need to get out of bed and go for a walk. We called the nurse and immediately he started telling us how to walk him. She'd guide him with the IV pole and I was to follow with the big rolling chair so that if he got tired he could sit down for a bit. We did two laps of the ward and then he sat in his chair for a while and he ate a huge dinner (well for him anyhow). He had some grilled chicken, veggies and rice that a friend brough us (enough for me too ) and then some minnestrone soup that another friend brought (again for both of us). Then he had a candy and watched some football. About an hour later he said to me okay, I'm tired and want to go to bed. He was right back to his normal self. It was so bizzare! So we got him back into bed and he immediately fell asleep. I immediately went home!

I fed the dogs, cleaned up the garage and driveway from when he was working and fell, and then walked the dogs. Then I came in and am sitting here with a good drink. In 10 minutes I'll be in bed also. I pray that he has a better night tonight. I'll be back there tomorrow morning to check on him though.

And thank you all for your thoughts about me. I am trying to take care of me too. The migrane is gone (thank goodness for drugs), and I'm getting an early night tonight. I hope tomorrow is a good day all around.

MWW, I had to think about what you said, breathing and eating at the same time. Then I remembered you have an awful cold. I hope you're feeling better soon sweetie. Hugs from your internet mom.
Old February 7th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Senior Contributor

DD, maybe you should make sure you find out exactly what it was they gave him so that in future you can alert his Dr's about it, if ever he needs another hospital stay I mean. Poor man, and how bizarre and scary the reaction was. Had a dog once that hallucinated on a certain brand of dog food, the preservative in it no doubt, she'd hide under the table acting like she saw pink elephants out in the hall, wanting to bite me if I tried to get her out, but I know if my husband started acting like that I'd be much more upset. Poor guy. Fingers crossed that things start to look up for him now. You really didn't need that drama in the midst of a migraine, so hugs for you both.
Old February 7th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Senior Contributor

DD,I know from experience how terrifying a reaction like that can be..
Goldfield is right,it's very important to find out the ingredients that gave him such a severe reaction.

My husband years ago had a very similar reaction,as if he was hallucinating,absolutely crazy and scary,he could have died if not treated..
The pills he had been given had Sulfa(sp?)
Now in his medical records,it says he's allergic to it..

I am very,very cautious about meds,whether it's for my husband or my sons,always check ingredients and side-effects.
We kind of have to be our families advocates, the doctors just don't know how the patient will react.

It's been a harrowing experience for both of you and I hope when hubby comes back home,he won't be going on any more roofs any time soon Take care
Old February 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Wow that must have been pretty scare for everyone!! Although, it must have done something positive for him to wake up and want to walk and eat etc?!? Strange how things happen! Glad to hear that he's making improvements
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:18 PM

hopefully today was a better day for you and your hubbie.
please dont take this the wrong way but the doctors monitoring his blood pressure are they gp or internists. my niece who is an internist find gps for some reason are not great when it comes to this. one of her colleagues called long distance to ask what to tell the doctors at the hospital what to do for his mom because they were screwing up.
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:28 PM
owned by Tucker

DD sorry to hear all this going on with you, I shall keep you and your family in my prayers, hope they all get better soon. Its not nice to see your DH who should be the strong one sick and to have a reaction that how awful for you have to watch it. My hubby had depression about 10 years ago and it was very hard on the whole family, like I said they are suppose to be the strong ones. But then god did make us to have the babies, he must of known what he was doing.
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

DD... you poor, sweet little thing
I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry to hear about sister and her daughter, how awful!! How are they doing now?
And how is the blood clot? Is it getting smaller? You sure need a break (and a whole bunch of flowers, chocolate and a good bottle of wine!)

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:14 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You know where my thoughts are my friend. If I ever get to talk to you I could tell you that myself!!
I'm glad A is starting to come around. I can imagine how frightening the reaction would have been to you. At least he is eating now. He will get stronger gradually. I had a good laugh over his telling you how to walk him. Such an Italian thing to do. Bossy ol' buggers. You'll have to remember to tell him when he is better he owes you a ride in that "big rolling chair".
Take care of you mf. That's very important. The hospital and doctors are taking care of A. You are the only one to take care of you.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 7th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

You are still in my thoughts and prayers. You've certainly had your share of "crappy stuff" lately.
Like klm said, make sure to take time for yourself, it's important otherwise you will burn out.
Keepin' that everything starts to improve for you and your hubby.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old February 7th, 2011, 07:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Scary things, hallucinations. Glad he's over that! And that he seems to be feeling better! Sending more and healing thoughts your way, DD. For both of you.

Old February 7th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post

MWW, I had to think about what you said, breathing and eating at the same time. Then I remembered you have an awful cold. I hope you're feeling better soon sweetie. Hugs from your internet mom.
Hugs back to you mom! wish i could hug you for real. I'm not sure if I'm getting better or not. its moving down to my chest now. Tom ended up with bronchitis. i was surprised i didn't even know he wasn't feeling well. then again I've been so out of it I'm mainly sleeping and working. so now i wonder if thats what i have.

I'm so sorry and was scared to hear A had that reaction to the meds. That is scary! Glad he ate and got back to his normal self by the time you left. i'm sure that gave you a bit of a breather. Yes please make sure you are taking care of yourself. Still thinking of you all the time. When my brain isn't fuzzy from whatever lol. so lots of and for A and for you. how are the puppies do you have them back or does your son still have them. Lots of love!

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you all again for today's moral support! DH had a better day today but it would be hard for it to have been worse than yesterday! Tomorrow he wants chicken noodle soup for breakfast please. Then he wants pasta for supper. I try to sneak in some carrots and fruits too! free I will have to check about the Dr., but I think it's an internist, although I could be wrong. Tonight they put him on a patch for his blood pressure because it seems to be at night they have the hardest time controlling it because during the day they give him pills. Anyhow, time will tell with that. They cancelled his ultrasound today to check the blood clot, but I don't know why, and maybe they'll do it tomorrow. Gotta love healthcare, but I can't really complain. Leaving that to DH.

The dogs are being such troopers I have to say I'm amazed. They came home Sunday mid-afternoon. They spend about an hour and a half in the car in the morning, then four hours or so at the office, then a good five hours or more sometimes at night in the car again before we get home. I do go out and walk them at least once though, it's good for all of us. They're getting extra helpings of chicken on their dinner at night because they're so patient waiting so late to eat. I'm surprised it hasn't bothered their tummies really. They must be wondering where dad went though.

Anyhow, have a bit of office work to get done tonight and then off to bed. I did manage to come home for two hours this afternoon and caught two half hour naps (had a phone call in the middle of a one hour nap). The girls got a real nice walk then too. I really needed that nap today as I still felt like crap after yesterday's disaster. Night all thanks for your caring. I know I said it already, but it really does mean so much.
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Senior Contributor

DD...sorry to hear about hubs reaction to the sleeping pills. That sounds very scary, glad he is doing better now. About the ultrasound being cancelled I would of asked why?

I hope hubs has a better day today and eats more.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

TQ, I asked his nurse this morning why they would have cancelled his ultrasound and she said "there's no treatment for the bloodclot so why bother him with it". Um, okay! I'd kinda like to know where it is and what it's doing. So while I was there this morning, the new Dr. in charge (they do 7 day cycles) and she started yesterday, came in to do rounds. I waited around so I could talk to her when she came in to his room, I waited, and waited, and waited. Meanwhile DH is coughing so hard trying to bring up phlegm that he's bringing up blood, so I called the nurse to make sure they knew this. I asked her when the Dr. would be coming in, "Oh, she doesn't come in to talk to people unless you've made an appointment to see her." So I told the nurse to let her know that I want to talk to her tomorrow when she does her "rounds" that apparently don't include going around to actually talk to the patients. The other Dr. came in every morning and would talk to both of us if I was still there, otherwise he'd talk to DH. I have another headache now. So far I'm not impressed with today's nurse or the new Dr. They are hoping to move him to a ward tomorrow if they can control his blood pressure overnight, which is still an issue.
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:24 PM
owned by Tucker

Isn't our health care system just wonderful Hope you can get some answers DD
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
TQ, I asked his nurse this morning why they would have cancelled his ultrasound and she said "there's no treatment for the bloodclot so why bother him with it". Um, okay! I'd kinda like to know where it is and what it's doing. So while I was there this morning, the new Dr. in charge (they do 7 day cycles) and she started yesterday, came in to do rounds. I waited around so I could talk to her when she came in to his room, I waited, and waited, and waited. Meanwhile DH is coughing so hard trying to bring up phlegm that he's bringing up blood, so I called the nurse to make sure they knew this. I asked her when the Dr. would be coming in, "Oh, she doesn't come in to talk to people unless you've made an appointment to see her." So I told the nurse to let her know that I want to talk to her tomorrow when she does her "rounds" that apparently don't include going around to actually talk to the patients. The other Dr. came in every morning and would talk to both of us if I was still there, otherwise he'd talk to DH. I have another headache now. So far I'm not impressed with today's nurse or the new Dr. They are hoping to move him to a ward tomorrow if they can control his blood pressure overnight, which is still an issue.
Stick to your guns! I had to for almost 2 months while my father was in hospital, daily monitoring and asking questions and demanding specific care etc. Nurses are not supposed to respond in that manner, being so flip. Mention it to the doctor tomorrow as meds can be given for blood clots and yes they do need to be monitored. It's very hard on you right now so remember to just do something for yourself, even if it's a bubble bath when you get home, take the time.. stress can do funny things
Old February 8th, 2011, 04:08 PM

stand up for your and your hubbie rights. all hospitals have an ombudsman if you dont get andswers to complain to.
if the hospital is a teaching hospital the resident on the services should be talking to you if you have any questions, they are on the floor 24/7. the doctor that rounds should be available to talk to you and she should be coming into see your hubbie. my niece when she is on goes in the 7 days and talks to family all the time
Old February 8th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

BMD, the previous Dr advised me that they can't give him more blood thinners than they already are (which is the normal treatment for blood clots apparently) due to the initial tear in his aorta. They don't want the blood to be so thin that it starts to bleed again. I had a bubble bath this morning before I left for the hospital - with a latte. It was nice, albeit too short. Night time would be better, but I'm normally too tired by then to do anything but fall into bed.