Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 10th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Ladies I need more guidance with my baby

As some of you know I have been dealing with my baby's UTI. I have had urine tests, Culture and Sensitivity (clean catch) which came back in Aug as Negative but after 2 weeks again another UTI. We had him on Antibiotics for 10 days, Then changed them and had him on for another 10 days cleared up and came back and had him on different antibiotics a mixture of 3 for 30 days cleared up and now once again another infection. This time I took your advice and the vet's and had an x-ray, Ultrasound, Urine taken right from the bladder and had another Culture and Sensitivity. This time it came back with Staphylococcus pseudintermedius. So now we are giving him and injection of antibiotics. The shot is good for 2 weeks which at that time we will do another round after testing the urine.

The x-ray was unremarkable yet the ultrasound should calcification in the L kidney. The vet said this is not typical for a puppy of 14 months. They are not clear stones. I'm at my wits end. So far since June we have spent almost 1000.00. I don't care about the money but he isn't getting better. His only symptom is he licks himself after peeing. He has never peed in the house or any of the other symptoms.

I keep him clean shaved, well groomed, I changed his food 5 times the last to a raw diet suggested by here. It's called "Easy Raw" He do love this. We have cut out carrots and we only give him spring water. His PH seems to be high. I suggested that we try Vitamin C but when I sprinkle it on his foot he refuses to eat. I'm told vitamin C will just excrete in his urine what he doesn't use and we can OD on it so this is 1000 mgs but I only try it two times and both times he refuses to eat. I do have a cranberry aid bought from the same place as his food but it doesn't seem to be working.

OK what else can I do. I can't keep this puppy on antibiotics forever?
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:28 PM

It really sounds like you are doing everything you can. I've dealt with long-term UTIs with a dog, but quite a different situation--elderly dog with bladder cancer. At one point she was on antibiotics for over 3 months to clear up an infection.

Your dog is quite young. Does the vet think he could have any problems with his immune system? Could you ask if there is anything you can do to build his immune system? One thing my vet recommended was to keep my dog from walking and eliminating in high, damp grass. He said bacteria could be on the grass and travel into the urinary tract. I know there are some home-type remedies out there such as the cranberry, but I never tried these to offer any recommendations. I do encourage you to consider adding some probiotics to his diet if you aren't already. Antibiotics can be very hard on their system and the probiotics help keep good bacteria levels up. Good luck. Please let us know how he is doing. I know it is hard when you are trying to do everything right, but your baby doesn't get better.
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Luke had terrible stinky dinky a while back ago. I thought it was a UTI as well. The vet ran some tests and it came back negative. I also started giving him Cranberry and the smell went away. I hope your baby feels better soon.
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM

Thanks so much for the encouragement it really helps. I'm just perplexed as to why this is going on. I guess all I can do is wait and see what the urine test next time we go back in will tell us.