Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old August 29th, 2006, 09:58 AM

bile woes

hi, i'm moving in with a friend who has a dog who has bile problems, he's tried everything (his pup is on a tiny dose of steriods now after going through all the vet's diets and tests. The steriods seem to keep the bile problem away but are not a great long term answer so i was hoping that feeding his dog a better food than science diet or IVD might help). My dog has been on wellness for a while and thinking that'd it be easier to have them both on the same food so i started switching my dog to california natural 4 nights ago. Usually my dog is great with whatever he eats and switching food was never a problem, But yesterday morning he started throwing up bile, the again last night and again this morning. Maybe i'm not switching the food over slowly enough, but why would this be a problem now and not before when i started him on wellness, and why didn't it start the first day i did the mixture of foods? I went from a lamb based food to another lamb based food and am surprised as i hear califoria naturals is supposed to be good for dogs with stomach problems(which is why i thought to switch). Though after doing more research i found that the sunflower oil in it may not be the best thing in the world. . . Frustrated . . . can switching dog foods cause bile? How long should i give him to adjust if it will go away? Right now i'm thinking i'll just start preparing real food (raw/homemade food) for my pup since that's what he grew up on and try my friends dog on that too since it seems to be more of a sure thing but it'd be nice to have a good pet food to fall back on during camping trips : ) Sorry for all the questions but this is where i got after all of my searching and reading.
Old August 29th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Honest Contributor

i would encourage you to go back to a raw natural diet AND switch your roommate's dog over too.... sounds like his liver needs a break from the steroids and "vet foods" raw diets are soooo much easier on the digestive system (pancreas & liver specially), due to the natural live enzymes contained in the food & high moisture content - no grains to cause painful gas, bloating, etc.

i'm now also a believer in homeopathic medecine, vets who treat with natural remedies rather than steroids, drugs, etc for such problems. If the liver is tested as being normal but needs help in functionning properly, needs to be cleansed, etc, the BEST way to go at it is via a natural, easy-to-digest raw diet and homeopathic treatments (tiny granules given twice per day).

as for a back-up kibble, i guess you have to try different ones until you find the kind the dogs both enjoy eating and do well on... might take a few months, going slowly. Mine do well on back-up kibbles: EVO and Fromm's Duck and Sweet Potato. but then they'll eat almost anything.... at my house there is "bile vomiting" maybe twice per year (per dog) and it happens if the dog is hungry, expecting food, none comes so the stomach expells the excess bile (yellow frothy stuff). My raw-fed girl sometimes expells undigested bone fragments if she was too much of a glutton the night before and swallowed large bits instead of chewing them, it's the body's natural way of dealing with this. Also... neither dog has ever had an allergy to anything, their immune systems are super-strong and i attribute that to their diet as well as my refusal to over-vaccinate them or pump them full of chemicals such as heartworm pills 6 months per year (only need them 3 months per year here in this climate).

sorry for the rambling... i hope you find a solution to your dilemmas!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old August 29th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I would definitely switch back to Wellness.
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Throwing up bile happens generally when the stomach is too empty. I'd definitely switch off that food asap.
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:43 AM

I have my dog back on wellness since last night and the bile problem has stopped, i guess california natural isn't so great - at least not for my dog. Planning on feeding him and my friends dog raw foods when i move in with my friend in oct. (there's just no room in the fridge here) and maybe his dog will be able to handle wellness as a back up. . . i'll post later if i manage to get my friends dog off the steriods
Thanks guys!
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Just don't feed raw and kibble at the same time. They have different digestion rates.
Old October 10th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Ever dog is different but I thought I would add my experience since one of my dogs had bile issues for years and had always been feed lamb and rice since she was a puppy. I always thought lamb was better for a sensitive tummy and that's why I kept her on that. Once I switched to chicken it eliminated the problem. I don't know if this was an allergy or a digestive problem but it really did help her.
Old October 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Although you have said that she is fine on the wellness so probably not a lamb problem.
Old October 10th, 2006, 12:02 PM

SuperWanda, Boo was the same on chicken. First he started with the bile in the mornings for a while and then switched to throwing up all night and needing meds to get him to stop. Now if he gets a chicken cookie or something, he waits about a week and then starts to get sick. It was very hard to figure out the cause.

Any updates?
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Yes - it can be very difficult finding out what the problem might be with so many ingredients! Once I changed to the Euk my other dog started getting her allergy problems. It makes you nervous to try anything at all!