Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy Rocky concerns

Rocky has had kind of medium-runny poop for quiet a while now,the vet gave me a topical gel to put on his ear,but it has not helped much,this morning I noticed a tiny red spot in the poop:sad:
I am bringing in a poopsample,but have to wait until he goes again.
The vet thinks he might have parasites,I thought it was because of the Tapazole,but she said no.
Would not all the cats get parasites if Rocky has some??
I am calling her this morning,but Rocky won't poop again before tonight
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:31 AM
Swift Tribe

good luck honey, keep us posted.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:34 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Poor Rocky. Is he feeling OK otherwise?

Cindy
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:58 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Chico..my two occasionally have blood in their poop...Vet told me before not to worry too much unless it was frequent...She said sometimes they strain at the end and it will happen. Is this happening all the time for Rocky?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 3rd, 2007, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

No,but the medium-runny poop he's had for about a month,vet does not seem too concerned,as I said she suspects parasites,but I see nothing in his poop.
Don't you just love digging in poop..
He is otherwise fine,eats like a horse,due to his Thyroidproblem.He is just the way he's always been.
I won't worry for now,just get a sample to the vet and go from there,I suppose.
The blood was a tiny spot,hope I don't see any again
Oh and thank's girls!
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
Remembering Lukka

Hope all is well with Rocky and his poop sample.
Lukka sends some good vibes
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
-

Good luck with the poop sample. When Paddy had tapeworms weeks ago , I couldn't see them in his poop. So even if you inspect it , you might not see it. Hope it's nothing
Old December 3rd, 2007, 01:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Rocky has had kind of medium-runny poop for quiet a while now,the vet gave me a topical gel to put on his ear,but it has not helped much
Do you know what the trans-dermal gel is? There's some controversy about how effectively absorbed most meds are when in trans-dermal form. Hyperthyroid medication does fine, but stuff like antibiotics do not.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Last edited by sugarcatmom; December 3rd, 2007 at 01:31 PM. Reason: boo-boo
Old December 3rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Swift Tribe

what are you feeding him and if the vet suspects parasites, are they planning on checking the poop for you?? *chuckles* your vision might be pretty good but no ones is good enough to see even most of the parasites that could be in their poo!!

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Sugarcat,the name is Metronidazole,I gave him 0.2ml the first day,then 0.1 for 3 more days,I really saw no difference in his poop.
I was watching him just now and although his poop is not firm,he is still straining,no blood this time.
I'll take a sample tomorrow morning and bring it to the vet.
He'll need a bloodtest anyway to check if the extra 1/4 Tapazole every second day made a difference in his levels.
W4R,for a while now,they have been on Performatrin Lifestages canned twice/daily,freefeed on Orijen and Solid Gold dry,they all drink plenty of water.
Canned food I've tried:Merricks,Mother Hubbard,Wellness and others with no success,so I was happy when they ate Performatrin(Pet-Value) to get them off Fancy Feast.
None of the other cats have any problems,I hope there is a solution,for poor Rocky and me,his poop really stinks and is a very light brown,he also lets out some powerful farts(at a loss for another word)
He eats all his food and sometimes Chicos(Chico eats more dry food) but is not gaining any weight:sad:

Last edited by chico2; December 3rd, 2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:53 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Chico...this may sound funny but when I changed all of my guys over previously to the Orijen they all had the farts...even the dog with his food and at 110 lbs of dog they were killers!

This may sound crazy but how does a cat get a parasite? Although I know your guys go outside supervised you prpbably dont let them eat anything so how do they get it?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sorry to hear that Rocky is ailing, chico2!

Winston--some parasites, like hookworms, can be picked up through the pads of the feet--which we found out with some dismay when the (then) 6-Pack all came down with hooks at once.

I hope that's all it is, chico--some easily treatable parasite!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hi Anita

There's no point in culturing a stool while your cat Rocky is on antibiotics as this can produce a 'false negative'

Wait until 7days past the use of ANY antibiotic or antifungal/antiparasitic or whatever he is given before doing the stool culture.

Metronidazole is flagyl and commonly can also cause horrible gi upset to let you know. It's a broader spectrum that will not treat specific organisms.

hugs to you
Old December 3rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hazel! EEEW!
Winston--some parasites, like hookworms, can be picked up through the pads of the feet--which we found out with some dismay when the (then) 6-Pack all came down with hooks at once.

Gotta ask? do you see them come out??? Sorry TMI!!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, here's some info on metronidazole for you: http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Con...C=31&A=532&S=2

Quote:
USES OF THIS MEDICATION
Metronidazole is an antibiotic especially effective against anaerobic infections (infections that grow without the presence of oxygen.) Unlike many antibiotics, it is able to penetrate the blood-brain barrier and treat central nervous system infections. It also penetrates bone, making it especially useful in oral/dental infections. In addition, it has anti-inflammatory properties in the large intestine and is a very effective anti-diarrhea medication. It is an effective antibiotic against certain protozoal infections, especially Giardia.
It apparently tastes quite nasty, which is probably why your vet gave you a transdermal preparation. There have been very few studies about the effectiveness of transdermal meds (although the Winn Feline Foundation is currently funding just such a study using methimazole - aka Tapazole, metronidazole, and prednisolone/prednisone). There are so many variables affecting absorption of transdermals that I would be leery relying solely on them for treatment. Pain meds, on the other hand, can be quite effective in gel form, but that's a different story . . . .

On another note, is there any possibility that there's a connection between the Performatrin food and Rocky's diarrhea? Have you tried switching back to Fancy Feast to see if that helps? Performatrin does have some extraneous ingredients like red peppers and carrots and sweet potatoes that he could possibly be reacting to.

Anyway, good luck getting to the bottom of this!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:59 AM
~Cat Servent~

Aw poor Rocky... hope all goes well at the vets and that his poops get better!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:06 AM

Sending some , I've got my , for Rocky & for the both of you

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I just wanted to add in...

It is so stupid for vets to give antibiotics when they 'think' it's this or that when the a/b can make things much worse if it's 'not' what they think.

Never take or give your pet an a/b unless there is confirmed infection of bacteria or parasite OR unless it's an obvious life threatening emergency where you can't wait for a test to be done.

Anita your vet's a twit LOL
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Addicted to puppy

Chico, I just saw your thread, I just wanted t say I hope you figure out what is goign on with Rocky soon, for both of you!

RIP Shade I will never forget your sweet smile
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's everyone!
I actually did not know Metronidazole was an antibiotic,the vet told me it was something to stop his runny poop
Why would she give him a/b,nothing showed any signs of infections,also if she suspected parasites,antibiotics would not cured that problem
I should seriously do my research before I put any meds in his little body:sad:

Luba I finished the Metronidazole before we went on holiday,which was oct 19th.
As for the food,I suspect either the Orijen or Perfomatrin,but don't know what to switch them too,I hate to put them back on Fancy Feast,but on the other hand Rocky never had any problems before,other than his Thyroids..
For years,they freefed on the Chicken-Soup dry and loved it,but I cannot find it anymore:sad:
I already tried,just about everything on the market,but it's no use buying something that won't be eaten
I'll drop the poop-sample this morning,hopefully it's something that can be taken care of,it's been like this for quiet a while,my vet was not really too concerned,but why give him antibiotic??I thought it was something compared to Imodium for people
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I actually did not know Metronidazole was an antibiotic,the vet told me it was something to stop his runny poop
Why would she give him a/b,nothing showed any signs of infections,also if she suspected parasites,antibiotics would not cured that problem

....my vet was not really too concerned,but why give him antibiotic??I thought it was something compared to Imodium for people
Well, Flagyl is kind of more than an antibiotic (it's also anti-protozoal and anti-inflammatory) and is very often the first drug used in cases of "non-specific" diarrhea. It would likely have been prescribed even after all the tests were done, so your vet was probably just taking a short cut.

I know you're having problems getting your boys to eat some of the better foods that you want, and believe me, I know how frustrating that can be . I have to say, though, that it's always going to be the case unless you pick up the dry food during the day so that they're at least considerably more hungry when you do offer them better canned. If they're snacking between meals, you don't have hunger working in your favour. Here are some more tips: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitionin...o_Canned_Food_

Old December 4th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh chico, I missed this post. Hope you get to the bottom of Rocky's digestion issue.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Well, Flagyl is kind of more than an antibiotic (it's also anti-protozoal and anti-inflammatory)
Forgot to add: that's when Flagyl is given orally, I have no idea how it acts when given transderamally. If your vet still wants to try it, insist on pills and give them at the same time as food.

Old December 4th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

The problem with that is Chico,he has never really liked canned food,he'll have a couple of bites and then turn his nose up
The others do snack ever now and then,but when suppertime comes around they are all really eager to eat,especially Rocky and Vinnie.
I cannot talk food with my vet(vets,as there are several)she keeps insisting Hills and another I forgot the name of,are the best foods available.
Thank you for all the info,I'll see what the poopsample says and then go from there with any changes,it's really frustrating for sure
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Swift Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Well, Flagyl is kind of more than an antibiotic (it's also anti-protozoal and anti-inflammatory) and is very often the first drug used in cases of "non-specific" diarrhea. It would likely have been prescribed even after all the tests were done, so your vet was probably just taking a short cut.
isnt it practices like that that are getting us in trouble with a/b???

-ash

(edit- didnt mean to sound judgmental there!! just asking.)

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09

Last edited by want4rain; December 4th, 2007 at 08:33 AM. Reason: im a dork?
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
isnt it practices like that that are getting us in trouble with a/b???

-ash

(edit- didnt mean to sound judgmental there!! just asking.)
No worries! Flagyl is a very broad spectrum an-aerobic anti-bacteria, but ya, vets really do tend to overprescribe these things for sure (just like human doctors do). Problem with ongoing diarrhea is that it's often very difficult to get to the bottom of it, so throwing stuff at it to see what works is the easy way out. For instance, Flagyl and prednisone are typically the first drugs reached for in cases of IBD, before going through the more logical but arduous process of changing the diet.

Chico, what about if you were to very gradually mix some good food like Wellness into the Fancy Feast, in ever increasing proportions? Start with no more than a tsp and work your way up over several weeks. You can freeze the canned Wellness that doesn't get used right away so that you're not throwing a ton of it out. Also, Fancy Feast, while not the best food on the market, is by far not the worst either. If you have to go back to it for Rocky's sake, that might not be so bad.

Old December 4th, 2007, 10:43 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Hey Chico.... sorry, I just read this now. Wasn't on much yesterday. Good luck with Rocky. Hope you get to the bottom of this soon.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:39 PM
-

Any news on the poop test result yet ?
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

No news,they'll call me tomorrow,I almost hope they'll find something,so it can be fixed
He is absolutely not sick,I know my Rocky,but pooping like that cannot be a good thing.

Sugarmom,they have been on Fancy Feast forever with no ill effects,Rocky is 11,Chico 10 and wee(not so wee)Vinnie 5 yrs old.
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Swift Tribe

i woudlnt complain about FF either, while i think all cats should be on a raw whole prey model the leap from dry foods harms to wet foods benefits is HUGE, the step from wet canned food to raw isnt very big.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09