Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 16th, 2015, 07:20 PM

House Training - wits end

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and have found the posts I've read very helpful, so I'm hoping there will be advice to walk me through my current road block. I can't get my puppy to even semi-consistently go to the bathroom outdoors. It's very discouraging. It's been a week since we've had an accident free day
I've had him for 3 weeks. He's 10 weeks old, and I was told he was paper trained when I got him, but I seriously doubt that. I've had newspaper down since I've had him and he's never even come close to using it.
What can I do to get through this? I feel like he will never be house trained.
I appreciate all advice, please and thank you.
Old August 16th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...g_puppies.html

I found this link , it might help you.
Old August 17th, 2015, 12:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Congrats on your new puppy! At 10 wks old, he's just a baby yet. It can take months to get a dog house-trained. Your best tools are patience and consistency. The link that Barkingdog posted has a lot of good information.

Watch the little one like a hawk, get to learn the signals he makes when he has to go (a different walk, a little extra sniffing along the floor, things like that--and they can be extremely subtle, so you're really going to have to study the little tyke) and take him out immediately when you see a signal.

In addition, you want to set him up for success. You should always take him out:
  • when he gets up in the morning or after a nap
  • before and after play sessions
  • before and after he eats
  • after he drinks

Remember, he has a teeny little bladder so he won't be able to hold it too long. Will he be crated during the day or will he have someone with him to let him out? Will he be sleeping in a crate? If crate-trained, you'll want to give him just enough room in the crate to turn around and lie down (if the crate is too big, a small box in the back of it will help) because he'll be less inclined to soil the area he sleeps in.

However, remember that he can't be expected to hold his bladder and poops for too long. A rule of thumb is that puppy can hold his bladder 1 hour for every month of age. So a two-month-old pup should be let out at least every 2 hours or you run the risk of a mess in the house.

If you catch puppy in the act of eliminating indoors, don't scold--just give a corrective signal (say "no" or some other vocal signal) to get pup's attention, pick them up and get them outside to the proper place. If they continue to pee on the way to the door, it's not the end of the world--it can be cleaned up. Your aim is to show them that the right place is outside.

You want to keep the whole process as positive as possible, so once they've finished up outside, make sure you offer praise and pats!

If you find a mess in the house but didn't see it happen, make a resolution to watch puppy better next time, then just clean up the mess and move on. No sense trying to correct the puppy because he won't know what you're talking about--their attention spans can be really really short!

Buy some enzymatic cleaner at a local pet store. It should say right on the label that it's formulated to neutralize urine. The enzyme breaks down the urine and prevents the odor from lingering. A puppy is more likely to pee in a place where it smells urine, so cleaning it up totally is important.

It can feel like a daunting task, but usually puppies catch on pretty quickly. And once the lesson is learned, most dogs are good for the rest of their lives.

Good luck! Keep us posted! And if you have some pics of your pup, we'd love to see lots of them!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 18th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Ditto everything Hazel said. This is a baby and he can't be expected to get it yet. As well, he's been through a whole lot with a new home and all. He may well have been paper trained, but it's just not the same now. At home with the other puppies it probably smelled like urine on the papered area.

If it helps, when he does use the paper to piddle, save a small piece and put it on the new papers. I wouldn't use papers for too long though, it can create a bad habit.

Agree with Hazel pics would be great. Good luck with your puppy.
Old July 8th, 2016, 02:43 PM

I learned a lot of useful tips from Emily Larlham. Check out her videos, they're simple, easy to follow but very effective.
DIY Training
Old July 15th, 2016, 12:04 PM

there are videos on youtube that you can watch teaching how to train dogs to follow house rules.
Old July 16th, 2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebusano View Post
there are videos on youtube that you can watch teaching how to train dogs to follow house rules.
In my country, it's difficult to access training facilities that's why I purely rely on video tutorials, blogs and forums to get instructions to an effective and proper training. Yep, there are many video where you'll somehow learn to train them yourself but it is hard to pick one as there are many of them.
Old July 17th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Great that you responded to this op's ask for help. they are probably no longer on here though because this post is from 2015.
Old July 21st, 2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpatti View Post
Great that you responded to this op's ask for help. they are probably no longer on here though because this post is from 2015.
Shoot, I did not notice it.
Old September 28th, 2016, 12:47 AM

That's somehow disencouraging. But once you know the rules or principles of potty training a puppy, you will get your way out:

• Give your puppy frequent access to his toilet area - prevent soiling in the house.
• Reward the pup for peeing or pooping in the right place - use a special treat.
• Never punish the pup for housetraining "mistakes" - scolding has dire consequences.
• Put your puppy on a regular and timely feeding schedule - in/out clockwork.
• Know when your puppy last eliminated - keep a diary.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 10:32 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFMA5ggFsXU

Really good video