Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 8th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Pitbull responsibility

I've been doing alot of reading, and on Realpitbull.com and workingbulls.com they talk about responsibility and not letting your dog offleash anywhere, because if it does happen to get into a fight your dog will undoubtedly win -- which is obviously a sad case for everyone.

I have let my dog offleash in a park before but, should i stop?

She is always excited and happy to play with other dogs and hasn't ever shown any aggression toward another dog...or person for that matter, but in a pitbull does that even matter? Should i keep my dogs out of the offleash park?
Old February 8th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Thats a hard one and I have never had a pitbull. If another dog retaliated against your dog even though your doggie was not the aggressor would your dog attack back or just walk away. I dont take my dog to the dog park right now because if your friendly pitbull came to play with my killer cocker spaniel he would most likely snap at your doggie. IF your pitbull can handle small dogs with attitude like Joey then I say you have a great dog.

I would say if you think there is any chance that your doggie could be aggressive then definately keep him out of the doggie park. Good luck

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old February 8th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

How old is your dog?

Personally, I would keep her out of dog parks. Just one incident could be a serious problem for you and your dog and would not be overlooked as it might be with another breed.

Keep your pit bull safe and don't put her in situations that might be bad for her!! For us pit bull owners, it's better to err on the side of caution.

If you know someone else with a dog she likes, better to arrange private play sessions with just them.
Old February 8th, 2006, 01:36 PM

yea, i wanna do what's best for my doggies for sure.

We figure our Suzie is a pitbull Rodhesian mix...She's got a strong bristley dorsal ridge that stands straight up when she is aroused. Her rump has a zig zag design where the fur is the most bristley. She's like a pumped up ridgeback hehe but i read that these dogs are sight hounds...

So i think even in that mix there are two things that could be potential issues, the high prey drive and hunter instinct (she frequently catches and kills mice in our yard)... then the fighting?

There is a park by our house that doesn't have many visitors, so we will just have to take the dogs there.

I also worry about My other dog who is a rottie mix, and the whole pack mentality, if Suzie gets into a scuffle the chances of Luna coming to help are pretty big right?

Luna is a BIG 85lb monster of a dog....

*sigh* they love other dogs so much, but i suppose i will just set up play dates with friends!

Last edited by .unknown.; February 8th, 2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you have a pic of Suzie? If she's not pit bull at all, maybe there's nothing to worry about!
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Love all creatures

where do you live? Make sure you don't have stupid BSL like we do in Toronto where you can't even let your dog offleash if you wanted to..

I would personally avoid dog parks, because its true...you can never trust a pittie NOT to fight with another dog...its better to take the precautionary measures instead of creating a situation where pits will be made out as the bad guys yet again...

There are tons of ways to socialize your dog, and an offleash dog park is definately one that is NOT necessary...I find dog parks to be more about the owners gossiping and creating little cliques than really caring about the dog's socialization if you ask me...

Take your dog on a nice walk where he/she can meet other dogs onleash, or go to a pet store with your dog for some socialization..take your dog for a car ride, etc...there are lots of ways to socialize your dog...and socialization doesn't just mean your dog interacting with another dog...it also means interacting with people, children, new environments...cars/roads/traffic/people with disabilities/people of different color/cats/etc...

anyways..good luck
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:22 PM

this is a pic of Suzie, she is def pitbull mix....

Suzie gets to come everywhere she can with us, so she gets plenty of socialization... it's just how much fun she does have when we do go to the dog park. But, there are plenty of other places to go!

thanks for the help!
Old February 9th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

She's adorable. I love the ears!!!
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:42 PM

Old February 10th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Beautiful dog!!
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:48 PM

thank you! she's such a clown, hehe very smart too!