Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM

Exclamation Chi-poo puppy won't walk on a leash & other issues

Hi, I have a very happy and healthy Chi-poo puppy. He is great except for a few issues with his behavior and training.

- He wont walk on the leash. When I put the harness and leash on him he freezes up and tries to go back to the house. I have been trying to teach him to walk with a collar and then a leash, but it is hard. What I have been doing is I put a piece of meat on the ground(lunch meat) and then I call his name. When He gets to the treat I praise him. But it is not getting very far. :/ I just might be a little inpatient.

- He is beginning to hump his big, soft, squeaky bone. He is only 10 weeks old and I WILL be getting him nuteured. But is this normal at such a young age? I am truely confused. Also, what age is it safe to get him nuteured?

- At some points he will growl at me and bark, as if his was more dominant. When he does this he licks his teeth like he is dominant. Is this dominant behavior? :P

If you could help that would be great. But if you can't then thats ok, somebody else will. So yes, post your thoughts and answers.
Old August 8th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
He wont walk on the leash. When I put the harness and leash on him he freezes up and tries to go back to the house. I have been trying to teach him to walk with a collar and then a leash, but it is hard. What I have been doing is I put a piece of meat on the ground(lunch meat) and then I call his name. When He gets to the treat I praise him. But it is not getting very far. :/ I just might be a little inpatient.
You can condition him to the harness and leash by giving treats while rubbing them all over him so he gets used to the devices themselves.
Once you get the harness on don't immediately try to take him for a walk. Just leave it on (with your supervision) and let him get used to wearing it in the house first. Give treats and play with him while he's wearing it, he'll eventually forget he even has it on. It should be exactly the same as conditioning a dog to wearing a collar. Once they get used to having it on they don't even notice it.

Quote:
He is beginning to hump his big, soft, squeaky bone. He is only 10 weeks old and I WILL be getting him nuteured. But is this normal at such a young age? I am truely confused. Also, what age is it safe to get him nuteured?
It's completely normal. Some dogs will pick a stuffed toy to try and dominate, it usually has nothing to do with trying to mate at that age. Dogs hump to make other dogs submit and show they're boss. A lot of the time I notice this with dogs that don't have much interaction with other dogs though. Does he get any socialization and play time with other dogs? At this age it's important you start socializing him with other dogs and puppies or else you might end up with aggression issues toward other dogs. I would definitely correct him for the humping and try to stop the behavior as it can become a habit.

Quote:
- At some points he will growl at me and bark, as if his was more dominant. When he does this he licks his teeth like he is dominant. Is this dominant behavior? :P
Not sure exactly what you're asking here.
First, dogs licking their lips is usually a submissive gesture rather than dominant.
As far as the growling and barking that could mean a number of things. I would really have to see it myself. If he growls and barks and then bows the front of his body down that could just mean he wants to play.
It could also be just to get your attention.
If he's growling at you when you try to take his toys or food it's possessiveness and that needs to be corrected.
If he's growling and barking and snapping when you try to get the harness/leash on him it could either be fear (he's trying to get you to stop, you're scaring him), or dominance (he only wants things done on his terms).
It really depends on the actual body language and situation.
Old August 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
He wont walk on the leash. When I put the harness and leash on him he freezes up and tries to go back to the house. I have been trying to teach him to walk with a collar and then a leash, but it is hard. What I have been doing is I put a piece of meat on the ground(lunch meat) and then I call his name. When He gets to the treat I praise him. But it is not getting very far. :/ I just might be a little inpatient.
MyBirdIsEvil gave some great advice, I just have a few things to add. All puppies need to learn how to walk forward on a leash, regardless of breed. Some are harder to train than others, but it can be a big milestone for a few dogs. It's really scary to go out into the big world with so many sights/sounds/smells, so my first encouragement would be not to give up. It's REALLY important when you decide to take your dog for a walk that you do not let him run back to the house when he's scared. This is simply enabling his behavior for the next walk you attempt. Even though it's easy to feel sorry for the little guy when he's clearly scared, it'd be better for you to just kneel down quietly in front of him, holding the leash (no talking, no eye contact) while he freaks out and attempts to pull back to the house. Stay calm, and sitting there until he quiets down. (You'll notice he'll stop struggling and pulling back, he'll probably start to pant heavily and may even lie down. Wait until the panting - if any - has stopped, and he's looking around with ease.) Reward him with touch and praise, but unless he remains calm do not go back to the house.

First and foremost though, you should never take your puppy on a walk if he's exhibiting anxious or nervous behavior when you're putting on the leash and harness. Your puppy is doing this because he knows what comes next - you pick up the leash and he's forced to go outside of his comfort zone.

I agree with what MBIE said. Leave the harness on before taking your puppy out. Even attach the leash and let it drag around the house so he gets used to the tools you'll be using - however I really don't think that fear of the harness or leash is the problem in your situation, but it's always important to cover all the bases.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 9th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Investigative researcher

I usually get pups used to leashes by having a long one and just letting them follow me around the house and yard, using the leash to stop running off or heading in wrong direction only. For a pup that is already having issues--take him to an unfamiliar place and have him follow you--he will want to stay close for safety, and will have no house to try and retreat to. At home, you could try gradually carrying him farther and farther away from home--each time putting him down and having him walk home on the leash--the leash is enabling him to get where he thinks he wants to be. Start close at first so he recognizes where home is. I always have an older dog to help with training--they will follow a dog they know ANYWHERE.
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:53 AM

- He wont walk on the leash. When I put the harness and leash on him he freezes up and tries to go back to the house. I have been trying to teach him to walk with a collar and then a leash, but it is hard. What I have been doing is I put a piece of meat on the ground(lunch meat) and then I call his name. When He gets to the treat I praise him. But it is not getting very far. :/ I just might be a little inpatient.
We all get a little impatient, just keep trying, look at videos on here or rent out video's, there's lots of different ways to train dogs. You just need to find his own style to be trained in if that makes any sense.

- He is beginning to hump his big, soft, squeaky bone. He is only 10 weeks old and I WILL be getting him nuteured. But is this normal at such a young age? I am truely confused. Also, what age is it safe to get him nuteured?
From what I know yes it is, getting him neutered is the best option if he keeps doing that, it actually makes them more obedient. The best age to get him neutered is right now I believe 10 months, don't go out and say I want him neutered make sure to ask a vet before going ahead with it.

I've never heard of a dog licking his teeth, but when they growl and bark yes that's definately domiant behaviour. If he starts licking you then yes that's dominant behaviour. I have the same issue with my pug/lab mix. Just keep working at it, it just seems he is stubborn like my pup.

Hopefully my info will work, I have trained dogs since I was a little girl myself. Those are the methods I have done with my dogs beforehand and it worked, so possibly it may work, possibly not, all you need is persistence.
Old August 10th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I've never heard of a dog licking his teeth, but when they growl and bark yes that's definately domiant behaviour. If he starts licking you then yes that's dominant behaviour. I have the same issue with my pug/lab mix. Just keep working at it, it just seems he is stubborn like my pup.

Hopefully my info will work, I have trained dogs since I was a little girl myself. Those are the methods I have done with my dogs beforehand and it worked, so possibly it may work, possibly not, all you need is persistence.
I just wanted to correct that statement - barking and growling does not mean a dog is displaying dominance.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

For my foster pups that refuse to walk I put a halter on them in the home. They will get accustomed to the feel. This is to be done under supervision only.

Growling and barking....not necessarily a display of dominence. What are the circumstances of this type of communication?
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If he starts licking you then yes that's dominant behaviour
Licking people is usually submissive behavior.

Dogs that are generally dominant can also display submissive behaviors at times. Dogs that are usually submissive can display dominant behavior at times.

The licking doesn't give an indication of the general personality of the dog, but a dog licking you is usually submissive behavior. Correcting licking as if it's dominant behavior can lead to all sorts of behavior issues such as submissive peeing.

I found an article on licking: http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-doglick.htm

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; August 11th, 2009 at 10:14 PM.

Tags
aggession, chi-poo, dogs, training, walking