Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Is anybody here a vegetarian?

I've been thinking about this on and off. More and more I find myself feeling guilty any time I eat beef, chicken or pork.

I know I've got to do a lot of research since I'm not really sure what all it entails.

I have a friend who's stopped eating red meat but still has chicken and fish now and then. She also told me some vegetarians still eat eggs and milk.

I'm a bit confused so if anyone here has cut meat out of their diet I'd love to now how you are handling it.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post

I have a friend who's stopped eating red meat but still has chicken and fish now and then. She also told me some vegetarians still eat eggs and milk.
Vegetarians don't eat meat but can still eat eggs , cheese etc .... I forgot the term for those who don't eat meat NOR eggs , cheese , any milk products.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I forgot the term for those who don't eat meat NOR eggs , cheese , any milk products.
It's vegan
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, that's it. I don't know how far I can take this. It's something I'm considering, I've been considering for a long time.

I'd have to stop eating fish and other sea food too. This is why it's going to be hard for me. I know fish and other sea life are well they deserve to live too, but my guilt runs more with the land animals. Maybe I could just eat stone crab claws. They don't kill the stone crabs, they take only one claw then put it back in the ocean where they regenerate it.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm a vegetarian. Love cheese too much to be vegan, but I do try to only eat organic cheese from 'happy' cows or goats (aka humanely raised). I rarely eat eggs, and only if I'm sure they're from local free-ranging chickens. The use of battery cages in factory egg production is probably one of the cruelest aspects of industrial farming, IMO. Actually, I try to make as many organic, sustainable food choices as possible, but it can be hard sometimes. This website has some good info on that: http://www.eatwellguide.org/i.php?id=Home

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
-

You know , I barely eat meat , I don't call myself a vegetarian because I just can't say no to a pepperoni pizza , I eat fish / sea food , and will eat chicken once every few months. Other than that , I don't eat meat. So I don't see any problem with you still eating fish. I mean , so what , you won't be 100% vegetarian , you can still stop eating beef , pork and chicken , that's good enough in my book
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:36 PM

I am a vegetarian; I haven't eaten any meat in 10 years. I stopped eating it because it just didn't feel right everytime I ate it. I do drink milk and eat eggs. I have never regretted my decision to become a vegetarian and will never eat meat again, much to my family's dismay!
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:53 PM
Swift Tribe

i dont like beans or soy products.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I've been a vegetarian all my life except for a couple of years (during which I was basically forcing myself to eat meat). I was vegan for about a few years, but it just became too hard to eat any semblance of a good diet while never having any time to cook.

I find it endlessly amusing though that both the BF and I are pretty dedicated vegetarians, but we have a huge chest freezer full of meat for the dogs sitting in the livingroom

Quote:
Yeah, that's it. I don't know how far I can take this. It's something I'm considering, I've been considering for a long time.

I'd have to stop eating fish and other sea food too. This is why it's going to be hard for me. I know fish and other sea life are well they deserve to live too, but my guilt runs more with the land animals. Maybe I could just eat stone crab claws. They don't kill the stone crabs, they take only one claw then put it back in the ocean where they regenerate it.
Why not just start with cutting out everything but seafood? I don't think it has to be all or nothing.
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

You could also look into something called Natural Hygiene. They don't ban meats, but limit them so much many don't have any at all. It just makes it a little easier when you visit someone you don't want to get into a discussion over meat/no meat with.

One good book there, that makes sense too, is FIT FOR LIFE by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond (not new at all!)
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I've been a vegetarian for 40 years...A lacto veg...I eat all dairy and eggs. I do eat salmon though...but only salmon. I had to start because I wasn't getting enough protein when I got pregnant.
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks everyone, for your input. It's the cruelty aspect of it that's making me just feel horrible about continuing to eating meat.

I think if I start by limiting myself it will be easier to just cut it out all together. I haven't had beef for a long while now and I haven't missed it too badly.

Sugarcatmom, thanks for that link. I'll have a look into it.

I was rummaging through some cook books yesterday and I remembered I'd bought a vegetarian one a while back. I'll have a look at that and give some of the recipes a try.

The really great thing is now lots of supermarkets are carrying organic things. I believe my market carries free range eggs, so I'm going to give those a try.

The only bad thing is some of those products are a little more expensive, but for the most part many things aren't. Like beans, which I love and there are some good recipes in my book using beans.

Seafood here isn't terribly expensive so I'd like to keep that in my diet.

I hope some of you don't mind if I periodically post some questions.

Old March 24th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

If you're looking for vegetarian cookbooks, the Moosewood collective have put out many and have recipes online:

http://www.moosewoodrestaurant.com/recipes.html

The Vegetarian Epicure is also a classic. I was pretty much raised on the food from this book:

http://www.vegetarianepicure.com/books/
Old March 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I ate a vegetarian diet for a few years and I was vegan for a few years as well. I now eat some lean animal protein but it's laziness on my part. I have issues with my sugar levels and carbs make it go through the roof. It's very possible to control it without eating animal protein, but it takes a little more work.

Basically the difference is that by being a vegetarian nothing dies for your plate. Eggs, milk, honey and cheese are all considered fine because the animal contributes a product and doesn't give it's life. Wool if fine because it's just taken from a live animal. Leather and fur are not because the animal dies. Some people eat a vegetarian diet but still wear leather and fur. That's usually becaue they're eating that way because they think it's healthier, not for humanitarian reasons. People who are vegetarian because it bothers their conscience don't usually use buy leather or fur.

Vegans don't consume any animal products at all. This can be for health reasons. (And I think there are some VERY convincing reasons to do this for health.) Or it can be because factory farming is considered by many to be animal cruelty. Some of the animals are kept in near torturous conditions for their entire lives.

Some good books on the subject are "The China Study" and "Diet for a New America"
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmama View Post
Or it can be because factory farming is considered by many to be animal cruelty. Some of the animals are kept in near torturous conditions for their entire lives.

Some good books on the subject are "The China Study" and "Diet for a New America"
This is a big part of the reason I'm considering this. But I'm conflicted because I'd still like to have fish. I guess I wouldn't be a very good or complete vegetarian. :sad:

Old March 24th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

IMO anytime you tell yourself that you CAN'T have something it makes you want it more. Or at least that's the way it can seem sometimes. When I first tried to give up eating meat I started craving it. Then I said that I was "choosing to eat less" but that I could still have it when I really wanted it. And that was when I was able to give it up. Once I gave myself permission to have the occasional crab pattie I found that I was ok with not having it.

Quote:
I guess I wouldn't be a very good or complete vegetarian.
Yes you would be doing what you can. Even cutting out one meal of animal protein in a week is something. If everyone did that it would make an impact. I eat fish and chicken again but I'm feeling conflicted about it. Today at lunch I had a veggie sandwich. I had a little bit of turkey for dinner but at least I can feel good about my lunch. Don't stress yourself out with an all or nothing attitude.

And if you want some good healthy veggie recipes let me know. You don't want to be eating just pasta and potatoes you know? I've got some yummy all veggie dishes that aren't all carb.
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I haven't had beef in a long while, so I know it's something that I can do without. Pork, I don't have much of either. What I have the most is chicken, but I found some really great tasting chicken nuggets, that aren't chicken, from one of those Morningstar type foods.

I feel better at least knowing I do plan on cutting a large portion of meat from my diet. And I know there are foods I can buy that give the illusion of meat if I wanted to go there.

Thanks for the offer of the recipes. I'll take you up on it. I saw some interesting dishes in the vegetarian cook book I have, and I was doing some reading online. I noticed the biggest mistake some people make is they start eating a lot of pasta and rice. I want to put more vegetables in my diet because my diet lately is horrible. So I think this is a good thing for me to do for my health as well.

Old March 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post
If you're looking for vegetarian cookbooks, the Moosewood collective have put out many and have recipes online:

The Vegetarian Epicure is also a classic. I was pretty much raised on the food from this book:

I think I'm going to take a trip to Borders this week. I wrote the title of that book down and see if I can find it. Thanks for those links!

Old March 25th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm heading out for my early morning walk so I'll post more later but I just wanted to recommend Linda McCartney's cookbook. I think it's called Linda's Kitchen. The vegetable soup recipe in that book is DELICIOUS !!!! There are so many good easy recipes in there. I love that one.
Old March 25th, 2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post

I definitely second the Moosewood collective for recipes, they are amazing. Some take a little while but are well worth it. Guaranteed you won't miss the meat part of the dishes. I made a thai stir-fry last week, and my DH asked, "Hon, what kind of meat is in this?"... And there was none
Could have lied, huh! I made a bean cassoulet last night and it was also a hit

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." -Unknown

Mom to:
Sola: 18 month old black lab/malamute
Luna: 2 year old Siberian Husky (rescue)
Millie: 2.5 year old tabby (rescue)
Layla: ?? year old calico (rescue)

Former mom to (RIP):
Nicole: Maine Coon cat 1985-1999
Poncho: Degu
Bibi: Degu
Josette: St. Bernard, childhood pet
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I try to avoid too many prepared and packaged foods but now and then a meat substitute isn't a bad thing. A veggie hot dog is great with the works. And if you can find Yves brand veggie ground meat it works very well in a meat loaf or chili. Marilu Henner's cookbook "healthy Life Kitchen" has great recipes for both of these. Her recipes aren't all vegetarian but some of them are. They're all dairy free though. Another recipe in that book is called Rich Man's Stew and it's a great lentil stew with portabella mushrooms, basil and a touch of balsamic. I love this with crusty bread and olive oil.

Here's one of my favorites when I'm in the mood for a totally healthy meal with all whole foods. I don't have exact amounts because I'm the kind of cook who just eyeballs it and does a taste test.

I bake one large spaghetti squash. While it's baking I make a quick tomato sauce by sauteeing some garlic and onion. (I don't usually put onion in my sauce but I do for this recipe) Then I add a large can of tomato sauce. The canned kind that doesn't have seasonings added. Then I add basil and oregano, salt, pepper and a little sugar.(Natural sugar is best like sucanat or rapadura. If you become a vegan you won't want to eat refined sugar because it's bleached by running it through charred cow bones !!)

Just before the squash is ready I add chopped peppers and broccoli to the sauce and fresh sliced mushrooms. I do them at the last minute so that they are barely beginning to soften. That way there's a lot of crunch and texture to the meal.

Scoop out the squash and add the sauce and veggies.

I also love spaghetti squash just scooped out with butter. My SIL likes it with butter and cheese. I've had it in the vegan version using Earth Balance margarine (Soy Garden is also very good--neither of them have transfats, they're dairy free, vegan and kosher) and you can also use soy or rice parmesan.

If you've never tried spaghetti squash and want tips on how to cook it let me know.
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Yup been a veggie boy as well for over 10 years. I still eat eggs and milk because it's too hard to live without them.

The hardest part is starting. It took me 6 months in all. First I cut out red meat, 3 months later chicken, 3 months later fish. Chicken was the hardest since I really DID have an addiction to chicken cutlet sandwiches.

But after you do it you find LOTS of great substitutes...even fast food substitutes. Harvey's makes a wicked good veggie burger. I LOVE falaffel and veggie souvlaki and veggie pizza is good. YVES http://www.yvesveggie.com/ makes some great fake meat products and I have made veggie chilli MANY times with their 'fake' ground round that fools carnivores 100% of the time. Stir frys with tofu and a good sauce is a fab meal. And although many people don't like raw tofu - when you fry it up, most people do like it or are at least OK with it.

So I say go for it gradually and you'll be happy with your choice!
I rarely even think about it anymore...except when I pass by a Baton Rouge (BBQ ribs) restaurant....which still makes me salivate like Homer Simpson. Whaa?

Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for that link Marko. I've never seen that brand of food in my market but I'm going to write to them and ask them if there's any places here where I live that might sell them.

If not then I'll take your advice and start slow. I think that will be the best way to go about it. I'm looking at this like a crash diet. If you do it fast trying to loose weight, your bound to have cravings and give in. I think if I go slow then I've got a better chance of succeeding. I do like that there seem to be so many more choices these days than when I was younger.

joeysmama, any advice you can give me as to how to make spaghetti squash is appreciated. I've tried on several occasions to make it but I think my problem is I don't cook it long enough. It always seems to come out TOO crunchy and I don't think it's supposed to be like that.

Old March 25th, 2008, 10:43 AM

I'm also a vegetarian. I do eat eggs and cheese as well as fish and seafood. I started a few years ago. It's my own personal way of saying no to industrial farming, pollution, and to the cruelty farms animals must endure. The only chicken I buy now is for my 2 cats. Wish I could get organic but in my town, it's rare. Anyway start slow, cutting meat a few times a week is better than nothing. You wouldn't believe all the vegetarian cookbooks I have! Once I strated buying them, I couldn't stop! I'm also taking vegetarian cooking classes, they are a lot of fun.
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:54 AM

Moosewood

I'm not a vegetarian but LOVE the Moosewood books! One of them is easily my most-used cookbook and both front and back covers have fallen off from wear. I usually end up adding more spices than recommended in the recipes.

I eat meat, but not a lot, and am quite happy eating most meals without meat. However, I hate to limit myself, so will likely never totally ban any meat from my diet. Sometimes my body seems to need it. I was cutting back on fish because I am very concerned about the world's ocean's and what we are doing to fish populations. Some species are seriously decimated. However, I really started feeling terrible and have started eating more fish and taking fish oil pills and haven't felt this good in ages!! So, whatever you do, just be careful and do a lot of reading. I've known several vegetarians who weren't and they were always sick and tired all the time, plus, a vegan whose teeth turned grey. I'm not saying that vegetarianism isn't healthy, it can be very healthy, as long as you make sure you eat things your body needs.. if you don't, your body will tell you.
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I have read that a daily multi-vitamin is recommended, just to make sure you get all the vitamins you need on a daily basis, so I'm going to have to get something like that.

I do certainly have to do a lot of reading. I've always had a problem with low iron, so I need to be sure I get the nutrients I need. The last thing I want is to feel sick and tired all the time.

I know I may not be able to cut everything from my diet, as I said I'd be keeping seafood in, but I feel better knowing I'm not part of that industrial farming cruelty. I live in Florida so most markets have fresh seafood. I'd like to make sure what seafood I eat is something that isn't being fished to the point of near extinction.

I have one vegetarian cook book, which I bought several years ago. I'm going to be looking for more and I'll have a look at the ones suggested here.

I really appreciate all of this feedback. It's helping me understand how to go about this better.

Old March 25th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
This is a big part of the reason I'm considering this. But I'm conflicted because I'd still like to have fish. I guess I wouldn't be a very good or complete vegetarian. :sad:
Someone once "labelled" vegetarians who ate fish as "vegaquarians" not a bad name come to think of it.

My best cookbooks are vegetarian ones. There are just so many terrific recipes and so much good-tasting stuff you can do with vegetables, that most people don't even think about. It's not all about steaming green beans and roasting potatoes for every meal and chopping raw veggies up in a salad!

I can leave the milk, no problem at all, as well as the processed amrican cheeses, but the real, cheeses ... especially the French and Swiss ... once in a while I splurge (money wise) and get some!
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

The funny thing is, I realized I eat mostly lunch meats and chicken. I haven't had beef in a while. I can cut the lunch meat without too much trouble. Chicken will be hard, but I've had some good "chicken" nuggets that taste a lot like chicken but aren't. Seafood is something I can have now and then, it's too expensive to have all the time. I even like those crab substitutes so I don't think it should be too bad.

I'll have to be creative, but that's cool. I'm looking forward to doing something good for myself, and eating better.

I'm wondering if it might help me health wise, when it comes to my allergies. I'll have to look into that.

Old March 25th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Marko--another Yves fan !! Ancient girl you don't have to give up lunch meats. Yves makes those as well. I love them with mustard and lettuce on a sandwich--very good. I haven't made it in a while but I think I used an Yves brand "pepperoni" to make stromboli. VERY YUMMY !

To make spaghetti squash I usually toss the whole thing in the oven for a half hour to soften before I cut it. Then when it's soft enough to cut I take it out and cut it lengthwise. Put it back in, face down, on a cookie sheet. Bake it until you can EASILY pierce the skin with a fork. Then use a fork to scoop out the strands.
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I have read that a daily multi-vitamin is recommended, just to make sure you get all the vitamins you need on a daily basis, so I'm going to have to get something like that.

I do certainly have to do a lot of reading. I've always had a problem with low iron, so I need to be sure I get the nutrients I need. The last thing I want is to feel sick and tired all the time.
I'm always surprised when I come across websites or books which suggest that one needs to take multivitamins if they're vegetarian

As I mentioned earlier, I only ate meat between the ages of about 10-12, so that's 26 years of no meat and I've never taken vitamins and always been fairly healthy My health seems to have suffered only in the periods of time when I ate really badly (like in university when I lived off oatmeal cookies and gallons of coffee).

Everyone is different of course, but I think if you're eating a good variety of foods you really should be totally fine. I think maybe vegetarianism gets over thought a bit sometimes when it's really not hard once you maybe get used to cooking with somewhat different ingredients.

I really, really love cooking, so if you ever need some recipe ideas, or suggestions on veggie versions of foods you already make, just ask.