Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 20th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Innova causing problems

I bought 5 bags of Innova Senior ( I have 6 dogs and it was on sale)I noticed when I started feeding it that my dogs started drinking ALOT of water , this started middle of Feb....I was thinking UTI, but I work at a vet and I tested the urine and no infection just low Specific gravity. I did do blood work on my oldest dog and he had elevated BUN/Crea, not much but still up, I changed his food and his came down, I did blood work on 3 others and theirs were normal, I really didn't think about it much other than they were going through alot of water.
Then the recall comes out, I am not feeding a recalled food, still have 2 bags to go, the dogs don't really like the food and I have to mix in some cottage cheese or eggs to get them to eat it, the drinking continues.
Finally after the next to last bag I stop and we talk about it and I think it may be the food. Change brands, the drinking stopped overnight. I now go through one bowl of water a day instead of 5-6
Wondering if anyone else had seen this, I still have one bag of Innova same batch that I never opened, am holding it and may send it off to be tested , I will pay for it, I just need to know where to send it too.
Wanted some other opinions.

Claudette
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:20 PM

I don't know what to say, but good luck with the results. Will you post them when you get them?
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Yes, please give us the results as soon as you hear. My dogs are on the Innova Senior dry and I've been told that there is no chance that their food is or will be involved in the recall. There is a video on the Natura site from the president of that company. He does mention that they do have some foods made at the Menu Mfg plant but they don't use those ingredients and the plants that they do use are the ones that were not involved. They are considering other options in the future which may include opening their own plant.
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:03 PM

innova

I put my dog on innova when she would not eat the natural choice, back on march 17th. I started to feed her slowly-even bought 2 canned foods of evo. She has been devouring it. Her coat is the shiniest I have ever seen. And her energy is unreal. The stools are good too, and turn white after a few days--she hardly goes...when I asked the vet this, she said it's because she is using all of the food, it's not being wasted. The Innova puppy food has cottage cheese in it. I emailed them, to ask, why they used tomatoes, garlic, and the cheese, and they wrote back, saying how healthy all of them were. I don't agree, but with every other food being bad, I don't know what else to do. I have saved all my receipts of the foods that killed my other dogs-I still have some of the food too. If this mess keeps up, I will be giving her steak! I'm sick of hearing, that it is not good to feed 'people' food to dogs. What did they do, years ago, before the first dry food came out?
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:07 PM

Lewis, you should check out the raw forum here.
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:54 PM
-

I switched my dogs to Innova (regular) about 8 months ago and have had the best results ever. Natura has their own plant for making kibble and are in the process of acquiring a plant or building their own for their canned food.
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

When I switched my dogs to Innova the difference was night and day. When I switched to raw food the difference was between night and a cosmic explosion that involves planetary destruction. Unbelievable the difference it has made to my dogs. I have the only beagles I have ever seen (other than puppies) that aren't overweight (anymore) and that is over the winter. Coats, teeth, energy levels, etc. cannot even compare.
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:55 PM

We3beagles I totally agree!! I still feed kibble in the pm, however & barf in the am. I just can't believe the difference it has made in my senior dog's energy level, her coat & teeth, as well she seems to be less bothered getting up. I think Innova & Natura in general are a reputable, & responsible company.