Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM

Unhappy paw licking

Hi , it has been a while since the last time I posted something..... now we are in Texas, enjoying the weather. I have a question about Mitzi, our little schnauzer, she's three.... anyways she licks her paws almost at all times, I don't know what to do.... I asked the vet she said it was allergies and that's it... should I change the food she is currently on? Please let me know what you think. Looking forward to your comments..........

Vicky

p.d It has been 5 months since Terry passed away, it has been very hard, and even though I am doing a little better I still miss him sooooo much and it just hurts so bad..... I wanted to thank everyone who gave me support during the first months I really appreciate it!!!!! Thank you all!!!!!!!
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:59 PM
You can call me DOG!

Your vet may be right. A friend of mine had a dog that did the same thing and licked his paws raw. She switched his food to an Limited Ingredient Diet, (L.I.D.) and he stopped licking his paws.

So far the only L.I.D. that I have heard of is Van Patten's, Duck and Potato. This is what she switched her little guy to although there may be other brands out there.

In any event, this may be allergy related.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:55 AM

It does sound like allergies. But, it could be food allergy or an environmental allergy. You say in your post that you are now in Texas. If your dog's environment has changed, it could be an environmental allergy--something she is walking in that is blooming, etc. Have you changed food or even treats? I know my itchy dog will have some issues if he gets treats with lots of artificial dyes. Think of the "Beggin' Strips" type of treat. He also has a flea allergy, but when he has this he is scratching all over. His environmental problems tend to be seasonal (spring/fall) and he will chew quite a bit for a few weeks, then calm down. Unfortunately, terriers tend to be itchy, chewy dogs prone to skin issues.

You do want to track down the problem if possible since the constant chewing can cause a raw hot spot area that can get infected. Some dogs will lick their paws from boredom and are easily distracted. If it is an allergy, the dog will vigorously chew and can't be easily distracted. Vets can give allergy medications (these made my dog very sleepy) and if the condition gets too bad, steroids can be prescribed (but the steroids can cause their own health problems.)

There is a recent thread by another poster about paw chewing/licking. See the thread "Daisy chews fur around her front feet". I hope you can find some relief for Mitzi. These things can be hard to track down.

_____
I also want to give you a belated condolence for your sweet Terry. I lost my little girl nearly 9 months ago and wasn't on the boards much for a few months. It is hard, but hopefully the happy memories are the ones filling your heart now.
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:49 PM

Thank you for the response....

We were in WI before moving to Texas, we adopted Mitzi from a Schnauzer rescue, she's been with us since Feb. She used to lick her paws in WI too, and even before we got her, her paws -the hair in this area- is stained from the saliva. I will try a new brand for food. Toys... she doesn't play with toys, the only "toy" she likes is a big teddy bear, she mostly bites it and then rest on it, like a pillow- of course the Teddy Bear is much bigger then her- . I will keep an eye and let you know what happens!!!

Thanks again!!!