Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 14th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Hoping and waiting for Animal-Cruelty laws to change to favor the animals is almost futile,but we keep fighting for it,maybe one day
As usual this is a problem created by humans,where $$$$ takes precedence over animal-suffering.
In the US banning horse-slaughter,only caused more suffering to these unfortunate animals,transported to Mexico and Canada for the deed:sad:

I have actually eaten horse-meat myself a very long time ago in Sweden,France used to have horse-steaks on their menus,don't know if they still do.
There is a Dutch store in Burlington that used to sell horse-meat too,although we never bought any.
Slaughter-houses,factory-farms,transports of live-stock HAS to change,whether it concerns horses,cows,pigs,chickens or any animal we kill for food.
As soon as any improvement is suggested,$$$$ stops it in it's track
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:45 AM

If you don't like horse slaughter, don't send your horse there. All horse slaughter is really is a CHOICE for horse owners as a means of disposal, most horses going there are from larger ranchers or breeders. Personally I don't want to end up like the US or have our horses end up in Mexico for slaughter, so until the bleeding hearts come up with a REAL solution besides ban horse slaughter, it needs to stay.

People in Canada eat horse meat, it's not just Europeans, it's meat to many folks.

Why is it that you all scream murder for the horses, but not the cows, pigs and lambs???? NOT all those horses were pets, some horses are even raised for meat these days.
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:35 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Did you know Frenchy that euthanized pets sometimes end up in good old Dog and Cat chow, just how disgusting is that :sad:
Yep , and I heard Iams used to do it too. They were listed under as "ashes" in the indregients and I remember seeing it on their bags.
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Swift Tribe

i hope you dont feel alone in your slaughter support. i could never eat horse myself but there is no reason why other folks cant. the way i see it, there are far more lives inhumanely treated under the current slaughtering standards for cows than there are for horses. i think folks feel because more horses are kept as companion animals than cows... the numbers still stand, there are far more cows and almost all of them are inhumanely treated than there are horses inhumanely ttreated. no different between the two other than you can ride one and its far more uncomfortable to ride the other... AND there is a rather large religious base who worships cows...

im rambling but i think youre right Glitterless. pigs are way smarter than horses. just not as cute.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:51 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA View Post

Why is it that you all scream murder for the horses, but not the cows, pigs and lambs????
Because this thread is about horses and if you read the posts again (which you should) it's not against people eating meat , it's mostly about the way they transport livestocks (in this case : HORSES) to the slaughter house , and the way they are being put down.
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:27 PM

Many countries have now banned factory farming,I agree the treatment cows,pigs,chickens receive is barbaric here,but that doesn't excuse what is happening to horses.Relationships between humans and horses is much more of a parthership,so I feel sending your horse to slaughter is a betrayl of the trust this horse has in you.Also the temperament and physique of a horse in my opinion make any large scale slaughtering and transport inhumane.There are people breeding horses specifically for the meat market in Canada,if you close down slaughter houses this will hopefully stop,if people have to pay to dispose of their horses maybe they will think before they breed that mare.As for my own horses when they do not have a good quality of life they will go here with their freinds around them as do my dogs and everyone else including our chickens.The PMU ranches,the racetracks,the showjumpers,the average must take responsability for their horses,pass strong laws and enforce them.If we were talking about dogs would inhumane slaughter and transport even be debated?We even get upset about humanely euthanizing a dog,but people don't even think a horse deserves that.
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Lise,I believe every living beeing,deserves to be treated humanely and with compassion,whether they are dogs,horses,sheep or pigs.
I can certainly understand your feelings for suffering horses,just the thought could make me cry,so like million others,I chose not to think about it:sad:and nothing will change.
If people were more aware of the horror going on,maybe some would stand up and scream,but who will listen
Certainly not our Harper government and yes,we are waaaay behind other countries cruelty-laws,I can only speak for Sweden,but I am sure other countries in Europe are doing much better than us.
Except for Spain and their Bull-fighting horror
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Because this thread is about horses and if you read the posts again (which you should) it's not against people eating meat , it's mostly about the way they transport livestocks (in this case : HORSES) to the slaughter house , and the way they are being put down.
Oh but it's ok to transport cows and pigs that way??? They are all livestock under the same agriculture laws, except recently horses are not allowed to be transported in double deckers as those were built for cattle which are shorter.

Cattle are killed the same way and it's considered humane for them?! The slaughter house shown isn't what most are, most are set up for the animals killed there, so this isn't a prime example of how it really happens in Canada.

Again why isn't anyone screaming for the other animals? And please there is no need to be rude.
Old June 14th, 2008, 08:05 PM
-

Quote:

Again why isn't anyone screaming for the other animals? And please there is no need to be rude.
Again MIA , this thread is about HORSES and for your information , I did open up a thread weeks ago , about inhumane livestock transportation. So take a chill pill will ya !
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:32 AM

and I am asking you what is the difference? Why can't you answer that? Canada did change the rules for horse transport so that's been taken care of.
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:51 AM

There are so many cruelties involved in the slaughter of any animal.The attitudes are slowly changing about what acceptable and what is not in our treatment of animals.You are right in many ways Mia cruelty is cruelty.I am most involved with horses as far as animals that are slaughtered so that is why I argue on behalf of their rights.There are other groups fighting for the humane treatment of all farm animals who are trying to change the treatment they receive.We are discussing treatment that horses receive and there are many characteristics that make them different from cows or pigs or sheep.We all fix our corner of the world and argue and defend what we know and love.
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:35 PM
-

Quote:
and I am asking you what is the difference? Why can't you answer that? Canada did change the rules for horse transport so that's been taken care of.
IMO, there's no difference. But can't you read english ? For the third time , this thread is about horses !!!
Old June 15th, 2008, 03:40 PM

Well I see Lise some what understands what I am saying.... Under agriculture law horses fall under the same laws as the other livestock, frenchy, I am asking you what is the difference between horses, cows, pigs, sheep, chickens etc. Why aren't all of them deserving of people fighting for them? I don't care if you are just talking about horses, personally I am tired of people JUST talking about horses, when other animals are just deserving. I am wondering if you have problems reading english or simply chose not to care about the other animals that are slaughtered daily.

Lise just so you know I have worked and owned horses and other farm animals since I was a kid, they are no different and ALL deserve proper treatment IMO regardless of what they are used for and personally I am really tired of the bleeding hearts over horses as nobody stands up for the others and they are just as deserving. Horses have been food for many cultures for many years, if you don't like it don't sell your horse for meat, I haven't ever sold one of mine for meat and never would but it's up to the owners of the animals to ensure they don't head to the slaughter house.

ALL animals deserve to be treated humanely period.
Old June 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Mia,we are all animal-lovers here,no matter what the animal,pigs are no less intelligent than a dog and I don't know much about cows or sheep,I do agree with you on all points,but this Post was about horses specifically.
We humans supposedly of higher intellect,have no right to cause any animal,undue pain and suffering,no matter what it is.
I had no idea what was going on with horses,no idea they are beeing slaughtered for meat and the US thought they were doing a good deed banning the slaughter of horses,only to turn around and cause them even more suffering in long-distance transport:sad:.
The whole business is sad and cruel,we can all agree on that,so Mia there is no reason to argue your point,we all feel the same way.
Old June 15th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with you MIA,I think many people eat other farm animals and think of horses differently.It seems they are looking at banning the shipment of horses for slaughter? (Looks like an old page,perhaps it did not pass?)

"The passage of The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act will prohibit the slaughter of horses for human consumption, as well as the trade and transport of horseflesh and live horses intended for human consumption. This legislation will terminate any legal option for sending American horses to slaughter within the United States and over the border as well."

http://www.hsus.org/legislation_laws...slaughter.html
Old June 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I did open up a thread weeks ago , about inhumane livestock transportation.
Quote:
I am wondering if you have problems reading english or simply chose not to care about the other animals that are slaughtered daily.
Your eyes are close or what ?

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=49755
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:08 PM

LOL February is weeks ago? Frenchy not sure why you feel the need to be so rude or why someone can't bring up another point. I see there is no point in trying to speak with you. Slaughter is here to stay folks and for all of you with dogs and cats well, they need to eat too so think about the big picture when you start screaming an end to slaughter.
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:33 AM

Horses fall between livestock and companion animal legally so they are currently not receiving the same protections as farm animals or companion.Also having been around livestock all of my life I agree all deserve a decent life and death.The rescue I help with not only is involved with horses cruelty,but all animals.There are pigs from factory farms,dairy cast offs,chickens from batteries,all are well cared for and given a chance at life.
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:31 PM
NOT a senior member

I don't think anyone is arguing the point that ALL animals deserve respect in regards to the ways that they are raised, treated and slaughtered. Valuing one life's worth over the next may be ridiculous, but it all comes down to the fact that horses are generally COMPANION animals. Yes they are bigger than dogs or cats, yes they live outside...but they are treated and revered quite differently than livestock. They have a historic place in society, they are our athletic partners and money earners, they are unique in the fact that they work for us willingly and the trust they have built is entirely dependant on how they have been treated. The process of slaughtering them in the manner that they are, and the road they take to this end is the ultimate betrayal to the horse. If this brands me a "bleeding heart", than so be it.

I find it illogical how horses are lumped into the livestock category, when we form such very close relationships with them, much like we do with our household pets. We would never think of "slaughtering" a housepet in the way a horse is, although they are essentially a companion animal all the same. Asian countries have been known to eat dog and cat flesh, so why is it unheard of for us to slaughter these animals for meat and send them overseas? Certainly there are millions of homeless and unwanted dogs and cats....a surplus. Possibly, if we did this....there wouldn't be as many neglect cases, or dumped and abandoned dogs and cats. Maybe it would make some room for the rescues and the humane societies? A crazy idea.....right?

If horses can be treated and slaughtered the same as livestock, then why can't dogs or cats? What is the difference when all lives are valued the same? It is a reality that we are going to be empathetic to the animals which we grow emotional attachments with. Until we have the same relationships with cows and sheep that we do with horses and dogs, there is a difference and we should value them as such.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......

Last edited by Purpledomino; June 17th, 2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM

Thanks for posting those pics, Lise. Happy is lovely I'll try to catch up on this thread in the next day or so. The show on the weekend went well, but I'm way behind in everything else!
Old June 20th, 2008, 08:08 AM

Interesting web site for the anti slaughter group.www.defendhorsescanada.org
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:06 AM
NOT a senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lise View Post
Interesting web site for the anti slaughter group.www.defendhorsescanada.org

I posted this site on the first page of this thread, considering the views I've read that support the slaughter of horses in this thread...unfortunately I doubt that anyone took the time to look at this. It is very informative though, and answers alot of questions.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Issues with the way these particular horses are apparently being treated aside, I don't see a big difference between eating horses and eating other animals.
Old June 21st, 2008, 07:35 AM

Personally I don't eat any meat,but that is my choice.A horse is a companion animal,they have served man in a relationship built on trust,that is in more ways similar to a dog than most livestock.Betraying that relationship by sending them to slaughter or in feedlots to end their days in fear is inhumane.There will always be people who believe we must use every once of an animal including their flesh once their living bodies are no longer useful to us.I for one hope that our society will someday evolve enough to realize this is wrong.This is about horses,if you look at the pictures of them all over this site you should realize the special relationships they have with their people and eating them is on par with eating your dog.We find alternatives to high kill shelters there are alternatives to slaughter.
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:16 AM
banned user

I agree 100% with Lise on this one
Old June 21st, 2008, 11:04 AM

Plenty of people eat dogs. Plenty of people eat horses. For that matter, there are fairly few four-footed animals that people don't eat. I just don't see the difference. Just because one species is considered a companion animal in some cultures doesn't make it any less humane to slaughter them for food than any other species.
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont eat horses (actually its against my religion to eat horse, donkey, lizards, mice and other rodents or any form of carnivore- so no cats dogs or anything like that) BUT that being said its against my religion to eat pig too and I dont mind that other people eat it, to each his own.

As long as the animal is treated humanely I dont see any reason why they cant be used for meat. As want4rain said, cows are considered sacred in a major religion and they would be absolutely disguisted and horrified at our slaughter of them. I know this this thread is about horses frenchy but sometimes u cant just look at one thing, u have to look at the bigger picture. We can't be hypocrites...
Old June 22nd, 2008, 05:29 AM

It doesn't matter whether this thread was about horses or chickens. We're talking about eating horses and some people are saying that it's wrong because they are our companions and friends.

Well, they are, but I've also had a turkey who I loved dearly and who I thought was very intelligent.

Everyone's different. I know some people who can raise Fluffy the lamb in the kitchen and then eat her for dinner one day. I can't do that. I do live on a farm and eat beef, chicken, and turkey from the farm, but there are certain animals I would never eat. My turkey, Tom, for example was one that I could never eat. He died on the farm and was buried like my other pets are. We've had other chickens and cattle who are more pets than anything else and would never be a meal either. Most of them are still producing something -- eggs or calves -- and are earning their keep, but we've also had animals on here...even cattle which are just as expensive to feed as a horse, who give us nothing more than friendship.

I couldn't eat a horse...but it really is no different than eating any other animal. I think that if you do eat meat, but find it wrong to eat horse meat, you're in need of a reality check. It's not about intelligence, it's about the bond that you have with an animal. I'm surprised that this board of cat and dog lovers can honestly think that a cow or chicken is lower on the totem pole than a horse. They all have personalities, can make great pets, and deserve a humane life whether they're a pet or a food supply.

I think too many people see the cows grazing in the fields as something different from what is on their dinner plate. Cattle can be ridden, too. They've ploughed fields, pulled wagons, and helped build this country as much or more than the horse has. Yes, we think of horses as noble, magnificent creatures, but cattle are not any less intelligent or deserving of a humane life.

One of the problems here is the fact that we do look at everything independently. We see our dogs and cats differently than we see our horses. Then we see horses differently than cattle and other livestock. All animals, whether or not they are million dollar race horses, a pet dog or cat, or a steer being raised for meat need to be treated humanely throughout their lives. We'll never get any where if we keep grouping animals into categories, trying to decide which one is too intelligent to eat.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Glitterless,very well said.
The other day while driving,I had a semi-truck in front of me,it was packed top to bottom with red milkcrates tightly packed with chickens.
I quickly passed,having a sick feeling,I felt like pulling over to the side and vomit.
Yes,chickens,pigs,cows and all living,breathing creatures feel pain and terror,it has to change..
But how,when in our capitalist society $$$$ take precedent over the suffering of our animals,can we demand a change??
If enough people yelled out loud about the treatment of horses and our government took notice,maybe we could get the ball rolling,to extend to all animals.
As long as we have animals trapped in pens in factory farms,stock-yards and other inhumane facilities,then add on the Seal-Hunt,Canada as a country has a not very favorable reputation in the world anymore.
Others are making changes,why can't we??? $$$$ is what it's all about:sad:
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:26 AM

How about not eating any of them?The arguments you are saying justify horse slaughter are very similar to those put forward by many vegetarians,that we can not group animals and decide who to eat and who not to.I agree that many people who only have daily contact with cats and dogs tend to group them differently than livestock,that is the only way factory farms and slaughter houses exist because most people don't think of their steak as a living being capable of the same emotions as us.It is easier to argue for an end to horse slaughter because average people have more empathy for a horse than a cow or a pig,deserved or not.In the end though no other living being deserves to be raised solely to die to provide us with an unecessary luxury product.