Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old June 25th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Found a baby bird

I found a tiny baby bird in the street, just lying there. Thought it was dead so picked it up, intending to put it somewhere out of the way. Couldn't see where it might have come from, no nest. Maybe taken by a crow then dropped. It's alive! But so small, eyes tight shut, tiny little wings, gaping mouth. Could be a starling, or a robin, can't tell. Doesn't seem to be injured. I've got it under a heating pad - although in this weather it hardly seems necessary - trying to give it drops of watered-down cat food, says somewhere on the net every 20 minutes for 13 hours, then it can go the night. Anyone have any experience with tiny birds?
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Is there any chance someone could give you a lift to Hudson? You could take it to the Nichoir, a bird rehab centre. Trying to raise this tiny hatchling if you aren't home all day will be impossible, since as you say they must eat nearly constantly.

Also, if it fell from any distance, it likely will not survive, since the internal bruising often kills baby birds who fall from the nest.

Is it eating the cat food? Do you have an eyedropper to feed it with?
Old June 25th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Alas, he died. He was just too small. I struggled to feed him with an eye dropper but finally his energy just ebbed away. Probably injured, although it didn't seem like it at first, but of course, someone didn't place him there, he fell. Thanks LR. Another little angel for my garden.
Old June 26th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww, that's sad.

Someone at the Nichoir told me about the bruising. Babies can seem fine for a day or so, then just die.
Old June 26th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww that is so sad! At least you tried that is all you can do!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:55 AM

AWWWW sound so cute.I have a canary and a african grey paret.But you have found this one and i dont know anything about how to hand feed them or give them water
FROM KATWOMAN im really sorry :
lets hope that you get some advice i will have a look on the internet and see if i can find any ifmoration for you

Last edited by katwoman; March 3rd, 2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Ummm, this thread is a year and a half old.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
Queen

I see that this is old but since it was brought up here is a link to some information on the subject:http://www.rivernet.net/~nbiggs/ It is really easy to kill baby birds by feeding and giving them water so it's best to get them to a rehabilitation centre as soon as possible. I'm not saying that is what happened but it is something to keep in mind if you find a baby bird.
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:05 PM

sorry i didnt know it was old .Lets go
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:41 PM

the next time...

yes, find some wildlife rehabilitators in your area!! in new york state, it is against the law, to keep a bird more than 24 hours. NEVER GIVE A BABY BIRD WATER!! they can drown. also, never give them canned cat or dog food (esp now!) get some dry food...and soak it with water. give them food that way. i like using those plastic plant stakes, the ones that identify your flowers....they are pointed at one end, very easy to use... I used to be a coordinator for they nys bluebird society, and so many people would bring me baby birds, because they thought the parents abandoned them---it usually is not true. but if u do have to take them in, put them in a cool whip type container, shred up paper (believe me, u will be removing alot of it when they go!) ---put some type of heat underneath the bowl. i use a heating pad...then, cover them with a towel. they will have to be fed every 20 min or so. when i got up in the morning, and spoke, they would start chirping! it was the cutest thing.....they imprinted me. i would take them here, to the puter, and play bluebird calls. but again, never keep them more than a day---sometimes, we finds boxes with babies to put them in, but it's not always easy. i praise the rehabilitators-it's a thankless job...except for what they do. when they come here, they always bring penicillin, or some kind of shot, because the poor babies usually are sick. again..never feed them eggs, raw meat, or canned food! and after this damn recall, hopefully, all the food will be ok to give them!