Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 17th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
An above post reminded me of one of the options I appreciate (along with the affordable visit fee) about my vet clinic; they don't require a negative heartworm test be done every year, before selling the medication. They DO require a waiver to be signed...and I administer the pills scrupulously, with no problems in close to 20 years, with 5 different dogs.

"If I had a million $$$...I'd be rich?!" NOOO, I'd just have way more cats/dogs/ponies, but I'd also have my fave vet on retainer, and I'd get more things done. I've discussed this issue with other devoted critter carers, i.e. do we give 1 or 2 critters what we consider to be very comprehensive care (optional tests etc., but not 'overtreatment'), or do we give decent care (with the odd short??-subjective!-cut) to 10-20 animals, over the same time period?

Everyone has different standards, of course, and there are so many separate issues, but I think pretty much everyone on this BB is an animal advocate, who cares deeply for critters...no matter where exactly they fall on the spectrum of standards/issues.

But, the whole vet/cost/latitude & attitudes with treatment et al. is always gonna be a bit complicated, I guess.
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Pet Guardian

$150-200 to be seen nothing else
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Question

Don't mean to belabour the point , but before this thread fades gracefully into the sunset , does anyone else have any feedback re: what their vet charges, just for an office visit (aside from additional concerns/conditions/tests, that are addressed)?? So far, it looks like the 'average' cost is in the neighbourhood of about $60, although some folks pay more, and a couple are in the $40ish range (more common in rural areas, no surprise ).

Any other poll particiapants ??

p.s. thanks to BB'ers for sharing their info; verrrry interrresting!!
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:18 PM

Our vet office charges $38.00, everytime I've gone it's always been $38 plus whatever shots they give or meds. So it usually totals around $90.00.

Plus we love our vet she's SOOO nice
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

KK, did you ever find out if there was an "approved fee scale" from the OVMA?
I think as you pointed out, rural areas tend to be less expensive, which is odd because you would think in large centers where the competition is greater, there would be more range in fees.
I still stick with the stated fees of my vet (before discount) of $66.00 per initial and $49.90 for re-check/brief exam.
I noticed as I went through some of my receipts. the older ones - say 2 or 3 years ago, stated that the clinic I use follows OVMA guidelines, but the newer receipts do not. Perhaps ther is no longer a fee schedule?

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:56 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Smile

Hi 'Q', I've called a couple of times, but keep playing telephone tag (must remember to hide from newspaper editor when she's on the assignment trail ), as I'm often unavailable. But, I WILL get the info; like a JRT , I never give up!! Thanks for the info .