Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 4th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Growler

Growler,I really hope you can help me to make up my mind about Chico and his Thyroid-Problem.
My vet has suggested he is a good candidate for the Iodine Radium treatment and I thought yes,I'll do it.
Now I have second thoughts,can I do this to my sweet Chico?
On the other hand I don't want him to end up like Rocky,who at the end of his life could not bend his head,his Thyroid was so large:-(
Could you explain to me in detail,what the procedure entails,how much isolation-time etc...or maybe find me a good site,where it's explained fully.
My vet says,one week in hospital and then isolation at home..
I am really torn,Chico is 15yrs old,otherwise a healthy kitty,no kidney-problems.
I would really appreciate your advice and insight.
Old March 5th, 2013, 12:50 AM

Hi Chico

Here's a post I wrote ages ago on Duffy's trip through Radioactive Iodine Therapy. Duffy was 14 years old when she had the treatment.

The clinic Duffy went to for her I-131 treatment is North West Nuclear Medicine their site is excellent for explaining the steps - click on "Cats & Owners"
http://www.iodinecafe.com/loader.html

The procedure basically is a very small injection via needle that targets only the thyroid gland & out of control cells. Actual treatment takes minutes after that the rest of the time in clinic is to allow the majority of the radiation to exit their body before going home.

The cats stay in-clinic for 7 days - it's required by law, there will be other cats in the same room but they are all kenneled separately so no direct contact between them. The cats are allowed out for playtime & they'll get pets & cuddles from the Drs & staff that are allowed in the treatment areas - you will not be allowed to visit but will likely get phone updates regularly. You can bring an old tshirt you've slept in for a few days & not washed to leave in Chico's kennel - one you don't mind throwing out as you will not get it back, same with a catnip pillow or favorite toy mouse etc you can bring them to the clinic but won't get it back because of the radiation.

After the 7 day in-clinic stay the cats go home, you must wear rubber gloves when cleaning the litter box as they will shed the I-131 for approx 14 days after initial treatment. They can play, eat & interact with everyone in the home as normal - it is recommended they not sleep in close contact with the family for the first week as there is still small amounts of radiation. You can cuddle & have him sleep on your lap etc usually they say for short periods of time, not hours & hours at a time.

In the link above for North West Nuclear Medicine under "Cats & Owners" go to "Documentation" and you will find Home Care Instructions so you can read those to see what after care entails before even taking Chico in.

There is actually more radiation in a human dental xray than what will remain in your cat after treatment. It honestly sounds worse/harder than it is.

Feel free to post any questions here or to me by pm

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; March 5th, 2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old April 9th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

are you back?

Growler,Chico will go to Guelph Veterinary hosp,probably in the next 2 weeks.
My vet says they will first test if he will eat while away from home,they give him 3 days for that.
I hope it goes well,but he's not a big eater to begin with,kind of eats a bit and later more..and so on.
Hopefully he'll do fine,so they can go ahead.
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck with Chico, not sure who it will be harder on though.
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:06 AM

Good that they're able to get Chico in relatively soon, it's nice they are going to check on his eating habits before the procedure, often cats we think will not eat while away from home do much better than we thought they would. Cats really are very adaptable creatures, the hospital will leave out food for him to snack on through out the day if he prefers it that way. You are of course able to give them instructions on what he likes/doesn't like etc so even providing his favorite food for them to feed him while in clinic shouldn't be an issue.

Old April 11th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Growler,I'll call my vet on Monday,to see what's happening.
Guelph just started doing this procedure,so I hope they know what they are doing..
I'll bring his food,treats,bed,favorite toys,a T-shirt of mine etc..i know it has to be thrown out after.
You've been a good help to make me decide,thank you
I'll let you know ..
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler~GateKeeper View Post
Good that they're able to get Chico in relatively soon, it's nice they are going to check on his eating habits before the procedure, often cats we think will not eat while away from home do much better than we thought they would. Cats really are very adaptable creatures, the hospital will leave out food for him to snack on through out the day if he prefers it that way. You are of course able to give them instructions on what he likes/doesn't like etc so even providing his favorite food for them to feed him while in clinic shouldn't be an issue.
But won't the treatment cause the cat to lose his appetite, I know this happen with people . That is want I would be worried about.
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
But won't the treatment cause the cat to lose his appetite, I know this happen with people . That is want I would be worried about.
When cats have a high thyroid level usually one of the first signs that tips off the owner that something is off is the cat's appetite increases noticeably, especially when the thyroid hormone level is very high at more advanced stages.

The treatment will generally reduce the over stimulated appetite so sometime is may seem like they've lost it but with the hormone levels on their way back to normal levels so is the appetite.

When my cat had HyperT her appetite had increased a bit, during & after treatment she was back to normal & had no issues eating in clinic. Every cat is different however unlikely the treatment will cause them to stop eating all together. Some cats won't eat in strange environments but as this is done in hospital they will have appetite stimulants to administer if necessary.

Old April 26th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Growler!
I found out from my vet,that the clinic at Guelph Veterinary School,will not be up and running before the first week of May,which is coming up quick,so hopefully there will not be any more delays.
Chico has been a bit lethargic at times,sleeps a bit more,but maybe I am just noticing things now,being a little paranoid.

Chico was never like Rocky,Rocky had a strong apetite,but his problem was worse.
I question myself daily if I am doing the right thing,since Chico is 15 1/2 yrs old,but I trust my vet,so hopefully everything will be ok.
Just thought I'd let you know,I'll keep you updated,ok.
Thank's Growler