Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

View Poll Results: Has your dog ever killed anything? (PRIVATE multichoice)
Yes. My dog has killed an animal. :sad: 13 23.21%
Yes. My cat has killed an animal. :sad: 16 28.57%
Almost. My dog came very close but was unsuccessful. 6 10.71%
Almost. My cat came very close but was unsuccessful. 1 1.79%
No, my dog has never killed anything... yet. 30 53.57%
No, my cat has never killed anything... yet. 16 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:18 PM

Poll of the night! Has your dog/cat ever....

It's come up a few times, and I don't want a debate, I just want stats.

Has your dog or cat every killed anything?

Just curious. It'll be an anonymous poll. Nobody needs to know who you are.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

theres no poll!
so i will just say yes. Roland has killed an untold amount of male mosquitoes (and eaten them so i guess its okay hehe) and flies. they are his favorite little gormet snack at the moment. other than that. no.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:21 PM

lol the poll was being constructed.. I meant more animally... But I suppose insects are livers too.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

hehe sorry, i guess im just too fast and a bit ahead of myself!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
Papa D

yes ....beathoven got a sparrow.....george got a possom.....one of the cats got a mouse once.....why the poll?
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:24 PM
-

Monsieur le chat and the fuzzbutts have killed many bugs I think Bailey killed a mouse before, don't know if it was dead before it got to his mouth and maybe a bird, again, don't know if it was dead when it got to his mouth.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:34 PM

Kitty is my own little exterminator No bug gets past her lol. Neither of my dogs have ever killed anything since they've been with me, but Tickey was a stray out in the country, so there is the possibilty he has before... though given his reputation of howl at it first, chase after it second (as all good beagles do) I dont know how high his catch/kill rate would have been.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Nope neither of my kitties has killed an animal. Although they would like to. Finn watches the pigeons on our blacony and one of these days I think she's going to forget that there's a glass door between her and the bird and slam into it trying to pounce on a dirty pigeon. She has killed bugs, but they don't have souls so they don't count

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:40 PM

Mocha's too timid! There was a spider on the floor once, and he danced around it like he had ants in his pants!!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We have 2 killers, 3 wannabe murderers and 1 who is just not all that interested in killing, but would love to wrap her lips around a squirrel...just to cuddle, of course! So I picked all the dog choices

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:45 PM

I just made the poll because I'm curious. It's rabbit season here, and Boo has been thus far unsuccessful, but I wonder what'll happen if he ever gets one. Not for lack of trying..
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:47 PM
Flyball Mom

Do spiders count?

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
I just made the poll because I'm curious. It's rabbit season here, and Boo has been thus far unsuccessful, but I wonder what'll happen if he ever gets one. Not for lack of trying..
He'll get fleas... Lots of them... If he doesn't have some sort of flea preventive medication, all the fleas will abandon the rabbit (they're flea magnets) and jump onto Boo. Been there...done that...happily, now the tick stuff also takes care of fleas.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:49 PM

When I was a kid, my cat ate my budgie. :sad: I was away for the weekend and my mom forgot to keep the door to my room shut. The cat knocked the cage to the floor and it broke open and he got the bird.

Sable I don't think would hurt anything. She loves playing with the bunnies.

One of the more disturbing experiences I had at the shelter was when I took a big German Shepherd out in the field, and a little fluffy baby bird was learning how to fly and sort of fluttering around a foot above the ground, and I thought, "Oh, how cute!" (Now this is not for the squeamish!!! Grossness warning! ) All of a sudden the dog lunges and grabs the baby bird! I could hear it chirping in his mouth!! I totally blanked and started yelling "Aus! aus!" which might have worked if the dog understood german! (In my defense, he was a real german-type shepherd.) But the dog of course didn't understand, and he went "crunch". I just about vomited right there. At that point I realized it would be more humane to just let him kill the bird quickly, so I walked away, and the dog ate the bird.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

The big cat keeps the voles, mice and rabbit populations under control here. He's the only one who's allowed outside, and he used to hunt to survive. Yogi used to eat anything he caught and left for a present if we weren't quick enough to grab it. I guess you could call it a real raw diet. Never hurt the dog or cat to eat their catches. The 3 girls have never been outside so never caught anything. They'll pretty good at catching catnip mice and the occassional moth

Cindy
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Papa D

rabbits are rampant here.....all the new sub-divisions are eating up green space and the fox population is down
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
marley just a pup

Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I voted yes for the cat and no for the dog. Petey doesn't even seem to know he should have the instinct for prey drive, LOL! Baby bunnies go hopping right past his face and he just looks at them. And he loves swimming with the ducks at the dog park. And yes, he is a pointer! LOL!

Billy on the other hand, will kill if given the chance. Even without front claws (he was declawed over 15 years ago....before we know it was a bad thing), he has no problem catching things. I've rescued many a chipmunk and squirrel over the years when he's outside in the backyard. However, there have been a few times where he's managed to kill something that snuck into the house. I leave the patio door open once in a while in the summer and a few times, something has snuck in without my knowing it....only to find it dead by my bedroom door the next morning. Last summer, it was a frog once and then a bird. He got a few mice the summer before (although I have to admit, I didn't mind those so much!). When he was a kitten, he killed a gardner snake before we could stop him. So he's had that hunting instinct his whole life. He's very proud of himself and struts around for a few days afterwards as well.

Last edited by Smiley14; May 22nd, 2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Honest Contributor

i recently discovered that no joke, akitas really are hunting dogs :sad: the type to actually catch and kill small creatures. and here I am in the middle of a city, surrounded by cement, they still manage to find things to hunt and mangle. sometimes it's too much, i should just get a goldfish

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:59 PM
Papa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
i recently discovered that no joke, akitas really are hunting dogs :sad: the type to actually catch and kill small creatures. and here I am in the middle of a city, surrounded by cement, they still manage to find things to hunt and mangle. sometimes it's too much, i should just get a goldfish

and no birds
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
marley just a pup

Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
He'll get fleas... Lots of them... If he doesn't have some sort of flea preventive medication, all the fleas will abandon the rabbit (they're flea magnets) and jump onto Boo. Been there...done that...happily, now the tick stuff also takes care of fleas.
Lucky he's not quick!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor

If the family hamster ever gets loose - he is toast! And the culprit will be...whoever gets to him first! The cat? Or the pom? (My money is on the pom! )
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
Live well, laugh often

The cats are great for catching and killing spiders but don't go outside so not much danger with them catching anything.

Lucy caught a rabbit once when it hopped across the trail right in front of us. I think she was kinda surprised and when I screamed (silly girl screams ) she dropped it and it hopped away.

Riley had a bird last week and so I grabbed a ball and he dropped the bird right away. The bird flew away after a few minutes so hopefully it was ok.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Layla's caught several squirrels, but she's never killed one. Usually when she catches one, she mouths it like a retriever does, and just stands there reeeeaaaallllllly proud of it. As soon as I see it and tell her to drop it, she does, and they've always run away fine. She has however caught a squirrel by the tail, and as the squirrel kept running, it ripped the tail in half. Ever since then, I've noticed how many squirrels in Parc Lafontaine have cropped tails.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:28 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Ever since then, I've noticed how many squirrels in Parc Lafontaine have cropped tails
so that's what layla does when you're not home! LOL

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:37 PM
Furball Farmer

Shelby is too girly for that...she has been exposed to some VERY fresh carcasses (after hunting but not shot by me so hold off on the animal killing lectures) and literally ran the other way.
Shamus I think would love to kill something if he had the chance but he's still in dumb puppy mode so I am trying to deter him from thinking chasing things down is fun.
Other then that we had a mouse get in our trailer last fall and my 3 cats proudly killed it and laid it outside our bedroom door where my man nearly stepped on it the next morning.....they are sooo thoughful.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:38 PM
Queen

One cat liked to crunch up a storm on crane flies when he was a youngen. A little extra protien I guess.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:29 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Jag hasn't killed anything yet.he's caught a chipmunk and dropped it when he was told to.and a kitty just escaped his clutches.he trys for rabbits.we have lots around here.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:46 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Yes & Yes. Rosco caught and ate a small duck. And one of my cats when he was my brothers used to go outside and bring back small creatures.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:01 AM

kitty hasn't killed any bugs yet AFAIK. She watches them and makes an occasional dab with her paw, but that is it. She eyes the birds and squirrels outside but she is to remain an indoor cat. She disagrees with that quite strongly. Bringing groceries in the house is quite an ordeal these days.

Wish I could sic her on centipedes but that hasn;t worked so far.

Quote:
One cat liked to crunch up a storm on crane flies when he was a youngen. A little extra protien I guess.
I hope she will develop an appetite for crane flies. I *HATE* crane flies. If one gets in I usually spray the room with bug spray, close the door and run away and wait for it to die. I guess that's not an option any more.

My mom's cat used to catch and eat houseflies and bluebottles. The crunching and smacking noises were quite horrid. But worth it to get rid of the flies.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

I am not sure...Hunter spend a weekend with my man's parents at their cottage when he was around age 2. He was out running around and went through the woods, and came back with a dead rabbit. So we are not entirely sure if he caught it (which I think is unlikely) or is it was caught in a trap set by some rabbit hunters...

Hunter plays so gently with kittens and he has even met a pet rabbit and played gently with him. So I kind of doubt it, but you never know I guess

Cassie on the other hand is considered a "rabbit dog" to many Newfoundlanders but has not (and will never I can safely say) killed anything