Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:03 AM

Unhappy Miniature Schnauzer on their way out?

I've been a lover of Miniature Schnauzers since I can remember. They are so loving and loyal and smart and playful.. I just love everything about them.

I've had one for about 4 years now and she's absolutely great. She's very very maternal and because of this I would like to breed her at least once.. Probably only once actually.

I have no experience breeding Miniature Schnauzers and I don't want it as a full time job, however, I don't want to lose money all for the sake of letting my dog mother her own crew. I know this will be expensive...

She is constantly trying to nurse kitties and help out with young animals of any kind. She has a huge maternal instinct and I want her to be able to have her own litter. I just don't want to lose money in doing this.

I've heard that Miniature Schnauzers are falling out of the "Puppy Market" fast and was wondering if anyone else knew this to be true?

Any advice here would be welcomed and appreciated greatly!

Thank you,
Kas
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:17 AM
Performance Spaniels

Good breeders breed to better their breed. They don't give a damn if their breed is popular or not. They are breeding for themselves, not a market. And are more than willing to keep the entire litter forever if they have to.

To be a good breeder you'd need to title your dog, do all the required health testing schnauzers require, find a stud with all the same who compliments your dog.

All of which is an awful lot of work for one litter. And to not do it all would make you a a backyard breeder in most people's eyes. There's some stickies up above in this section you should read. Even the ones on finding a responsible breeder, as that is what many people are searching for nowadays.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:36 AM

I read them after I posted--Thank you. So what's the best way to get my doggie the motherhood she's wanting so badly? I don't want to be a backyard breeder! I agree that's a little much for just one litter. Is there anything I can do to let her nurture something? Buy another puppy or kitten or something? I just want her to be a Mommy.. You can just tell she wants it so badly.

My dog is already titled--she gets checkups every 6 months and as far as the "standard testing" I'm not sure what that entails. I do have another Schnauzer in mind for breeding who is a really good stud. How would I know if they compliment each other--if I do decide to take this course?
Kas
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:12 AM
Performance Spaniels

Your dog is already titled? Like conformation championship?

Standard check ups aren't health testing. CERF eyes, OFA xrays for hips, and whatever else miniature schnauzers are prone to..

You need to know your dogs good points and lesser ones and the lines the dog comes from to pick a suitable stud. They need to be titled, their health testing, std testing..

Can you just let her nurture stuffed animals? Is she ALWAYS like this day in day out month to month or every x number of months it gets more nurturing? If it's the later she may be going through false pregnancies and getting overly motherly when nothing real happens, which isn't great for the dog either.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:02 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If you do it right, it's pretty much a guarantee that you'd lose money, kascmaly. Even if she and the stud are already Champions, you'd need to have health checks done on both parents(joints--hips and elbows, eyes, ears, certain other genetic diseases). Then there's the veterinary care for the dam and costs incurred if anything should (heaven forbid) go wrong during delivery. After the pups are born, there are shots and check-ups to be done. You wouldn't be able to recoup the costs.

If she's very maternal and you feel like you're able to take on another dog, maybe find her a young companion. At 4 years of age, she'll still be pretty playful and from what you say, she'll love having a little one around to mother.

And I hope you consider spaying your schnauzer. It will help prevent medical problems later in her life, as well as prevent the cost of having an unplanned litter.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:31 AM

Thank you! She's registered with the AKC--I've got her papers and pedigree and everything.

She's VERY motherly and it does seem to be getting more and more so. My mothers cat just had kittens and she won't leave them alone.. Trying to "steal" them and just constantly there. Luckily Tiki--the cat likes my dog, Georgia.. So she really doesn't mind. She nurtured my mothers first cat, Cush'nee and they are soul mates now one could say.

I know that she went through one false pregnancy for sure. My mother and vet both confirmed it. It's spaying the only way to stop this? :sad: What is it doing to my dog that is so bad.. I'm worried now...
Kas
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kascmaly View Post

It's spaying the only way to stop this?
Maybe, but anyway, you SHOULD get her spayed for so many reason. Sorry but only breeders have business breeding.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
She's registered with the AKC--I've got her papers and pedigree and everything.
Just because she has AKC papers does NOT mean she is a good representative of the breed and should be bred. Puppy mill puppies often have AKC papers. It just means the "breeder" filled out some paperwork and paid a fee to get the litter registered. "Titled" means your dog has successfully competed in conformation dog shows and has earned enough points to get the "Champion" title. The majority of dogs in your bitch's pedigree should have the "Ch" title before their name, they should also have health testing (for example, if their hips were xrayed and deemed "Good" by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals, it would say "OFA good" after the dog's names.) The stud should also have a good pedigree. If you purchased the dog from a pet store, she should never be bred. She could pass on any number of disorders since puppy mills do no genetic testing. The same goes for dogs purchased from backyard breeders.

I think the best thing to do would be to get her spayed, and perhaps adopt a friend for her if she seems lonely.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
I know that she went through one false pregnancy for sure. My mother and vet both confirmed it. It's spaying the only way to stop this? :sad: What is it doing to my dog that is so bad.. I'm worried now...
Kas
Spaying will end the false pregnancies. The false pregnancy is brought on by the hormone flux associated with the heat cycle. To my knowledge, in and of itself, the false pregnancy is not harmful.

But I've heard that every year a female is left unspayed, it increases her chances for a mammary malignancy by 10%. There is also the risk of pyometra--uterine infection--in an unspayed female. Two of our dogs came to us intact and both ended up going into heat before we could get them spayed. Both had false pregnancies. One ended up with a uterine infection. Not sure what the actual percentages in the general population are, though. Of course, once the dog is spayed, the uterus is gone, ending the risk of infection.

There are likely other health benefits, as well. And of course, there's no longer the inconvenience of having a dog in season in the house. So there are a lot of good reasons for spaying your girl.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thank you! She's registered with the AKC--I've got her papers and pedigree and everything.

She's VERY motherly and it does seem to be getting more and more so. My mothers cat just had kittens and she won't leave them alone.. Trying to "steal" them and just constantly there. Luckily Tiki--the cat likes my dog, Georgia.. So she really doesn't mind. She nurtured my mothers first cat, Cush'nee and they are soul mates now one could say.

Kas
Theoretically - AKC papers mean that your dog is a purebred. Nothing more, nothing less. As for her pedigree, that has a bit more meaning- IF you know how to read it and know the lines.

Dogs that have false pregnancies are more prone to pyrometria.

Get her spayed and contact some local rescue groups and shelters. There are times when a foster mom is needed for young puppies/kittens and your girl would be great with them.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Not wanting to sound mean but,come on,because she is hanging w/ the kitties that means she wants to be a mother??That is NO reason to breed,i truthfully cant think of a good reason to breed except for service type dogs,you are asking if they are popular dogs,which says you dont even know if you could find them homes.But good luck to ya,hope it all works out.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 03:36 AM

Red face

I was going through my paperwork today and I goofed.. My Schnauzer now is APR and the Schnauzer I lost last year was AKC.. Which is fine. I still have both pedigrees and all.

I have however, decided not to breed her. After reading many threads and hearing many of you out.. I have decided spaying her is best.

I already have a pet friend for her. I rescued a Retriever cross last October and they are finally starting to get along.. Very big competitors for attention! It's cute. My rescue--Carmen--Is definitely the dominate role, she "disciplines" Georgia--My schnauzer--when she doesn't listen to me. It's rather humorous.. Just a short growl and an intimidating stature.. But adorable none-the-less.

I have been watching Georgia carefully and she is a very happy dog. I cannot argue with this. I believe breeding her would change her and I'm not willing to do that.

Stefan and I have considered getting another puppy--but I can't convince myself to go through the potty training and the chewed up shoes again..(Another reason for my decision not to breed) and thus we are looking into more rescues!

Thank you, Ladies for all your help in getting me to see the "light"
Kas
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:39 AM

Good for you! You made the right choice.
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Woohoo! Enjoy your sweet girl as she is!
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Good for you I'm glad you were able to make an informed decision.