Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Cat groomers in GTA?

I'll admit I have been a little negligent in grooming my cats. My life has been chaotic lately, so grooming was one of those things that got put on the back burner. As a result, Kyuubi (med-hair) has developed a few mats. I tried getting them out, but Kyuubi would often run away from me. I try to be as gentle as I can, but I fear that I'm hurting him. I think he's starting to associate brushing with pain... which is the last thing I want because I'll never be able to groom him again.

I think my only option is to shave him, but I don't trust myself to do it. Can anyone recommend any good cat groomers in the Toronto area? Preferrably in the west end (Etobicoke or Mississauga).
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I use a very good groomer in my area but it is a bit out of the way from you - I am in Markham. I have one Maine Coon that has the kind of fur that is very heavy in the undercoat and needs professional help every 2 to 3 months, bath, tummy shaved and groom - he hates me brushing him, but lets the groomer do her thing with no problems. I use her for 2 of my guys but mostly the matty one.
"Shear Purrfection" in Unionville on Hwy 7.
I also bought the brush called the "furminator" which does wonders with the long hair.
Good luck.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
I use a very good groomer in my area but it is a bit out of the way from you - I am in Markham. I have one Maine Coon that has the kind of fur that is very heavy in the undercoat and needs professional help every 2 to 3 months, bath, tummy shaved and groom - he hates me brushing him, but lets the groomer do her thing with no problems. I use her for 2 of my guys but mostly the matty one.
"Shear Purrfection" in Unionville on Hwy 7.
I also bought the brush called the "furminator" which does wonders with the long hair.
Good luck.
I got the furminator and it does well with small mats... not so good with bigger mats.

It's not THAT far (45 minutes with no traffic from Etobicoke), but there must be something more local. The longest my cats ever travelled was 10 minutes. I just want a place that is experienced with cats and not just dogs.

On a weird side note, I did a google search for "medium hair cat" and my short hair cat was the second item in the image search.
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey JoeJ, For my guys, 45 minutes in a car would seem like an eternity, both for them and me!!!
I know the problem with finding a groomer that does cats, when I started looking, most did not want to even think about doing kitties.
There was a posting a while ago for a mobile groomer that would do cats. I had contacted him, but Markham was too far out of the GTA for him. I will try and find the name in this category history or if someone sees this and knows who it is perhaps they can refresh the posting for you.
I did not think the furminator would work too well for deep matting, but I know since I got it, I have been able to lengthen the time between professional jobs by doing a bit each time Quincy lay on my lap. It is amazing how much it can remove with not so much effort!!

Old September 4th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

J-j-j,my cat Rocky,used to get oily fur and matts.
What we did,as my older vet showed me,is to hold on to the matt and cut it out with scissors and brush out what's left.
Never tug and pull,it hurts them too much.
Mind you Rocky would only have one or 2 matts.
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

OK Joey,
Found it!!
I did call this fellow but I was out of his travel range.
Business name - Glamour Pets
Groomer Name - Derek Ripley
Phone Number - 416-224-5050
The comments made by other members seemed positive. He does small pets.
Hope this helps.

Old September 4th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

A friend of mine has her himi mix shaved into a lion cut a few times a year. She's in Mississauga and loves the place that does her cat but I can't find out where she gets her done until Monday if you can wait that long.

clm
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

My American Eskimo's groomer specializes in cats, but she is located near Bayview & Eglinton in Toronto - so I expect you wouldn't want to travel that far. She is excellent though. My Eskie looks fabulous and of course Eskies look like giant Persians even though they are dogs or "dhats".
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:47 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in no hurry so I welcome any suggestions.

I did find a few in my area that seem cat friendly, but know nothing about them and the internet doesn't shed much light on them either.

Anna's Pet Grooming
http://www.annaspetgrooming.com/
No mention of cats, but they have pictures of cats on their website.

Doggy Styles
http://www.catsanddoggystyles.com/
They do mention they that cats are welcomed, but there are no reviews of this place.
Old September 7th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I'll check with my friend tomorrow to see where she get's her cats done for you. She's very particular so I know they must be good.

clm
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM

UPDATE!

Well, I ended up going to Doggy Styles. I had a hell of a time just getting Kyuubi there. I was able to get him in the carrier, but struggled for 15 minutes trying to get Azrael in the carrier too. My two cats are really bonded and will cry for each other when separated. Eventually, I gave up and decided to leave. I get to my car and Kyuubi is already crying. I'm so glad this place is only 5 minutes away.

I get there and they tell me they are running late. Since I was really on a tight schedule and offered to help if it meant getting him done. So I held down Kyuubi while the groomer shaved him. Kyuubi struggled a little, but was much better than most cats.

Now I'm no perfectionist, but the shaving was very uneven. The groomer somewhat evened out the top, but the rest was actually pretty bad. Also none of the legs were cleaned up. I asked if some of the areas could be cleaned up and he made a half-a$$ed attempt. What was worse was the groomer beside us cut the ear of a Chinese Crested dog with an electric razor. Thos dogs are nearly bald, who do you cut them? It might have been a little nick, but there was a lot of blod. With one clumsy groomer and another one who was indifferent, I would not recommend this place.

Kyuubi's body and half his legs were shaved, but his head, mane and tail were left alone. His left leg wasn't shaved off... it's just hidden in the picture.

Just a note, two things I didn't expenct when I came home:
-Azrael starts hissing at him because he doesn't recognized him. He was like that for most of Saturday. But on Sunday, they were napping together, so I guess they worked it out.
-Kyuubi's fur is even softer shaved than it was fully grown. I would have thought it'll be prickley.
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwwww what a sweetie he is,must be a relief to get rid of tugging mattes
Old September 21st, 2009, 08:14 PM
Senior Contributor

crap, I totally forgot about this thread and getting the name of the groomer for you.

I'm glad he's been done and hopefully he'll let you brush him once the fur starts coming back so you don't end up having to do it again.

clm
Old September 24th, 2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
crap, I totally forgot about this thread and getting the name of the groomer for you.

I'm glad he's been done and hopefully he'll let you brush him once the fur starts coming back so you don't end up having to do it again.

clm
No worries. The shaving was a little on the sloppy side, but the mats are all gone.

Also, I don't think I could have gone any further than where I went. Kyuubi cried the whole way there. He was in a panic, but he's back to his old self now.
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:10 PM

Hi CLM,

I have the same problem with my cat like Joeyjoejoe,his back needs to be shaved.It is really bad.Could you pleasefind me the number from the groomer you friend's using.I would like to take him ASAP.
Let me know

Thanks

Whoever knows good groomers in Etobicoke/Mississauga area please let me know

Last edited by crvce; October 29th, 2009 at 08:24 PM.