Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 12th, 2007, 02:49 PM

So, on the off case that these brands weren't available here, or of lesser quality, what should I look for in a cat food? What would be better for a nicer, healthier fur (and the rest, of course)?
Old April 12th, 2007, 04:01 PM

What on earth are you people feeding them? I'm kidding, but good food really does make a difference.

I have a golden retriever who doesn't really shed at all, and he gets brushed once a week (or when I remember). I wear black all the time and I MIGHT find 10 or 15 hairs on me by the end of the day (if I'm lucky - most days my clothes are hair free). And when he's blowing his coat, a double rake and occasional hand stripping keeps it well under control.

As for the washer/dryer, if it's not cleaning the clothes properly, maybe it's time to get a new one? Since there are no dog hairs on my clothes to wash off anyway, I can't compare. But my washer/dryer is in need of replacment, and I know this because even my washing machine will sometimes leave my clothes covered in fuzz (not dog hair). Drives me CRAZY (I hang dry a lot of my clothes).
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:45 PM

lilgreal, you should check out the dog and cat food forum here... Might give you some insight.

(I don't want to threadjack this thread...)
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
(I don't want to threadjack this thread...)
I don't think it really matters, it's over 2 years old!

My I put my fur covered clothes in the dryer on air for 15 minutes, (before washing) that usually removes most of it (I learned this trick from someone who owns 2 Goldens )

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:31 AM

That's a very good suggestion HappyCats, but I don't have a dryer! That's the dilemna, buy a dryer just to remove cat fur?? And, I have no desire to go down 2 flights of stairs and walk a block and a half to the laundry mat just for that either! (That's why I bought a washing machine after a year because I was tired of washing the clothes and sheets by hand in the bathub!!)

I'll try the "cleaner apartment" method, plus more tape/lint removing and maybe change the food. I don't think it is humanly possibly to shave a cat.
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreal View Post
(That's why I bought a washing machine after a year because I was tired of washing the clothes and sheets by hand in the bathub!!)
I hope you had a wringer for those sheets!

My grandma also doesn't have a dryer, and she hangs her clothes out to dry in sub-below temps. I never did understand that (they'd freeze solid!).
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:49 AM

remaining slightly off-thread, I did have a wringer, my own two hands! At that time, I think the cat fur just dripped off with the water.
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:56 AM
N/A

May I suggest a static cling spray, it helps so that the fur won't stick to your clothing or furniture. I also put my clothes from the washer in the dryer for half an hour with no fabric sheets first then clean the lint trap and then put the bounce sheet in for the duation needed to dry the load of clothes.

From a home that has four Retrievers, two cats and any foster animals knows what shedding is all about.
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:21 PM

Red face

We've just got enough WeatherMate packing tape to last us for life. My dog sheds in two shades of brown, white, and black, and he drools like crazy. I have a wool coat, so when I get home, I have to toss it on the table or something fast before my dog can get to me. Even hanging in a closet, I have to take a lot of tape to it before I leave in the morning, and I have to hurry out the door or else I'll be wearing dog drool to school.
I use dryer sheets, though I'm not sure how much good they do.
The tape doesn't ever get all of it out, because after I get one arm done and move on to the next one, by the time I get done, it's covered again.
I heard brushing every day works, but he's a St. Bernard, and we just have the standard dog brush. YOU try brushing that every day. And it's COLD outside.
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hear ya! We have 8 English Setters... We do brush them every day, however, and it really does help. Concentrate on the longer hairs of the back, butt and tail and you've got half the battle won. On days when you're planning to vacuum (every day here ) brush him in the house--you'll be vacuuming up the furballs right away. Just don't leave food out on the counters or damp dishes in the drainer while you're doing it.

I have a bunch of tape that I use when I'm going to be out in public, too--but I still get people in line behind me tapping me on the shoulder and saying, "Oh, I see you have dogs!"

By the way, welcome to the forum, Charlie05! We'd love to see pics of your St Bernard if you have any to share Not in this thread, though--this one is pretty old. If you start a new thread in the Introduce Yourself forum and post a picture, I'm sure you'll get lots of wonderful compliments about your furbaby!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I'm a softy

SCOTCH has made a new thingy and it is awesome if u have pet hair you MUST have it! It has refills, and it is large with a handle and you can do furniture too easily with it!!.. I know it is embarassing.. I go places with hair on me all the time. and my daughter has these fancy skirts, made from something like organza? anyway the hair weaves in those like crazy! Oh well, hairy as they are I love em anyway!
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

I just made the mistake of buying a pair of nice black wool-pants
They seem to suck up white cat-hair like a magnet,I am sure there is black and tabby-hair too..oh well
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:03 AM

Dog and cat hair removal

I have found that a washleather, well wrung out, especially one made of joined scraps is the ideal tool for removing animal hairs from clothing and furniture, bedding and carpets.Use it in a circular motion and it will be perfect for dealing with the problem and is more efficient than lint brushes or masking tape. "Frizzles" mum.
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Like a chamois cloth, sylvia? I'll have to try that!

Welcome to the board, btw!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Vacuum more often, everywhere.
Use liquid fabric softener.
Buy a better filter for the furnace, Filtrete 1000 for pets is great.
Groom the pets more often.
That's all I got.
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM

I have two cats, one is a long haired tortie,(but she suffers with never ending hair balls), her hair does not show as much as her sister's, a beige siamese. My husband uses Everyday Essentials, adhesive lint roller every morning before going to work. We get a chuckle out of it, since this is a part of being a pet owner.
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I have this brush thingy, it's like a rubbery substance and it removes pet hair pretty well, and then you rinse if off under the tap afterwards, just make sure you have a plug in the sink otherwise you'll plug your drain with a massive hairball... yes speaking from experience
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor

One of the best things to use to remove cat fur (and im guessing dog fur) from anything is a simple pair of kitchen gloves. You know the ones you wash dishes with?

Put them on and then rub them against whatever surface youre trying to get the fur off of and voila!

Really it works. I use it all the time for the furniture and espeically my mom's oriental carpets. It clumps all the hair together

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old July 9th, 2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun View Post
This is exactly why I get a chuckle out of people who say they're looking for a short-haired breed because they don't want to deal with the shedding. The shorter hair is the worse! Ever step on one of those suckers with bare feet? It's like getting a piece of glass stuck in your foot! I've learned that long fur is much easier to tidy up around the house - the Swiffer sctually picks up the long stuff, but it just pushes the short stuff around.
This is funny because we just got a short haired curly cocker spaniel hoping for no shedding. (We have allergies.) Now we have to sweep the floor twice a week.