Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 28th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Old March 29th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Not taking the risk of being lynched for starting another X vs Y thread, what do you guys think is a better fat source? Canola? Chicken fat?
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Hmm... Each has their own pros and cons...

Chicken fat is high in saturated fat, but supposedly they are able to suck the nutrition out of it more efficiently.

Canola... Well... It's a good fat overall, but a lot of people have an issue with it being a genetically modified food. (IMO, they're all GMOs anyway though ).

Sunflower: high in omega 6's, so you just have to make sure your dog gets enough omega 3's

Salmon oil: high in omega 3's, have to make sure you give enough omega 6's.

Hmm... Oh

Olive oil: pretty good, but rarely used in pet foods...

Does that help at all?
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Hmm... Each has their own pros and cons...

Chicken fat is high in saturated fat, but supposedly they are able to suck the nutrition out of it more efficiently.

Canola... Well... It's a good fat overall, but a lot of people have an issue with it being a genetically modified food. (IMO, they're all GMOs anyway though ).

Sunflower: high in omega 6's, so you just have to make sure your dog gets enough omega 3's

Salmon oil: high in omega 3's, have to make sure you give enough omega 6's.

Hmm... Oh

Olive oil: pretty good, but rarely used in pet foods...

Does that help at all?
NO! Still have no clue what to feed him, although I was leaning towards Ocean Blue/Orijen. But then I just found out that bison actually has less cholesterol than anything else, so I want to maybe feed him bison? but then flaxseed is I think the 10th ingredient in WolfKing grrrrrrrrific!

But thank you Prin, once again you inform like no other.

Last edited by worrier; March 29th, 2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:06 PM
-

Yes, I don't know what we'd do without Prin.....she goes into such great detail explaining things.

BTW, Worrier, there is no such thing as "the perfect dog food" and what are you feeding your dog while you are *trying* to make a decision?
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Yes, I don't know what we'd do without Prin.....she goes into such great detail explaining things.

BTW, Worrier, there is no such thing as "the perfect dog food" and what are you feeding your dog while you are *trying* to make a decision?
I have switched him from Wellness to Canidae L&R and am supplementing that with chicken and turkey. Though, I am worried that there is no glucosamine in the Canidae as my guy is extremely active.

As of now, I am planning on switching him over to Ocean Blue and supplementing that with Orijen (which has glucosamine), some butcher meats and maybe some brown rice (I have read that some grains are necessary). Would be great to find a food with bison in it, I have looked at Solid Gold WolfKing and TO Bison, but they have flaxseed way too high on the list and I believe that gives him his ear allergy (from my unscientific testing).

Last edited by worrier; March 29th, 2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Performance Spaniels

Most food has such little glucosamine in it, it's more a marketing ploy, that a help for your dog. So if they truly need it, it would be best to supplement it.
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess View Post
Most food has such little glucosamine in it, it's more a marketing ploy, that a help for your dog. So if they truly need it, it would be best to supplement it.
I always worry about his discs, because for him, being unable to run and "hunt" would be especially devastating (he's extremely active). Orijen actually lists glucosamine at "500mg/kg min."

You're right though, and I am looking into real supplementation as well. I want to research it thoroughly first.
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:45 PM
-

Glucosamine by itself isn't all that great. It's best to have it combined with Chondroitin.
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

I give Rosco Glucosamine/Chondroitin/Msm suppliments each day. I also give him a few duck feet each day which are a more natural form of Glucosamine & Chondroitin.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938

Last edited by Scott_B; March 30th, 2007 at 05:19 AM.
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_B View Post
I give Rosco Glucosamine/Chondroitin/Msm suppliments each day. I also give him a few duck feet each day which are a more natural form of Glucosamine & Chondroitin.
How many milligrams? and where do you get duck feet? My local Loblaws only sells goose feet!
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Goose feet would be great as well. Chicken feet too. There is alocal raw company that sells the duck feet.

Glucosamine sulphate (500 mg), chondroitin sulfate (400 mg) and methyl-sulfonyl-methane (MSM) (400 mg)

He gets two a day. I take them too for my arm, so giving him one reminds me to take mine The bottle says take 3 a day however.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:37 PM
-

There are also two newer products out now:

1. Celadrin
2. Green Lipped Mussel
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:18 PM

Alright well it's been a week since he started eating Canidae L&R exclusively and for a dog that likes almost everything, I am a bit surprised to seem him not taking to this food as he normally takes to anything and everything he finds.

He has, by himself, begun eating once a day (at the end of the day). He won't touch it in the morning (drinks a little), won't touch it in the afternoon (drinks only when exercised) and then gobbles up practically the whole bowl reluctantly in the evening after his final walk (drinks a lot). Is this normal? With Wellness, he was eating three times a day.

His stools seem to be alright. Thinner than normal, but solid enough and not too yellowish.

I'm debating whether to switch him to Ocean Blue, but I've been reading all these stories of weird kibbles (which are probably not the norm) and the TO veil of secrecy puts me off. I still want to get him on a consistent lower protein food and then supplement with Orijen.
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:04 AM

That's not too normal.. He probably doesn't like the Canidae too much.

What about Orijen, Evo or Barking at the Moon?
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:35 AM

If I may share this. We go to a holistic vet & our two once were on several of Solid Gold's formulas. When I brought up the Millenia formula, she said that she wasn't real fond of that particular one--I can't remember why though.

But, when Solid Gold was in the process of changing their formulas by adding 'Tomato Pomace' to them, why would they not put it in this one, too??
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:45 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by worrier
Alright well it's been a week since he started eating Canidae L&R exclusively and for a dog that likes almost everything, I am a bit surprised to seem him not taking to this food as he normally takes to anything and everything he finds.
What about the California Natural Lamb & Rice? And, then supplementing that with the Orijen?
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
That's not too normal.. He probably doesn't like the Canidae too much.

What about Orijen, Evo or Barking at the Moon?
I don't want to feed him 40% protein exclusively, so I'm trying to find a lower protein one to get him on, then I will add the higher protein stuff. Maybe I should try it the other way around? I feel it is important that he enjoys both, because otherwise he will cheat and spit out the ones he doesn't like. Maybe I should try the Canidae chicken and turkey one? The TO stories scare me.
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:15 AM

Goldens4Ever, it might be the beef. It's "common knowledge" that dogs are prone to beef allergies, but it's not as big a culprit as chicken is now, IMO. It all depends on what foods they got before. Less foods are beef based (other than the super cheap ones and a few holistic ones) and it seems more companies have moved to poultry.

Worrier, it wouldn't hurt to try the chicken Canidae... Maybe get a sample if you can.
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Hi worrier - I was just curious why you want to stay away from the higher protein on it's own?

I'm an Orijen feeder - that's why I ask
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Goldens4Ever, it might be the beef. It's "common knowledge" that dogs are prone to beef allergies, but it's not as big a culprit as chicken is now, IMO. It all depends on what foods they got before. Less foods are beef based (other than the super cheap ones and a few holistic ones)......
True, but Innova RM lists 'beef' as the first ingredient as well. Obviously, it's not the only source of meat in that formula, but it's still there.
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWanda View Post
Hi worrier - I was just curious why you want to stay away from the higher protein on it's own?

I'm an Orijen feeder - that's why I ask
Fear of new things I guess. He's been on 22% for some time (Wellness Chicken), and I'm anxious about going higher than around 30-35%.
Old April 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM

Yeh, I felt that way too. Now I find I don't think about it as much anymore because they seem to be enjoying it and they look good.

I also add other fresh foods as well so I usually feed less that what the bag recommends.

I've gotten scared in to thinking if they don't drink enough they're kidney's will suffer so I still add water to the kibble because of my own uneasiness.
I don't know if that is necessary but I do.

From what I've read it seems that it should be just fine for a healthy dog and perhaps even more beneficial in the long run. Apparently the quality of the protein is important as well. No sense in feeding 40% protein if it is low quality protein which is difficult to digest.
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldens4Ever View Post
True, but Innova RM lists 'beef' as the first ingredient as well. Obviously, it's not the only source of meat in that formula, but it's still there.
Yeah, but RM came out after the beef stigma was gone. IMO, there's nothing wrong with MMillenia (or however they spell it), other than that it's a little grainy.
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but RM came out after the beef stigma was gone. IMO, there's nothing wrong with MMillenia (or however they spell it), other than that it's a little grainy.
OH, I see. That makes sense then.

Yes, I think it is a bit grainy as well.....maybe that's why she didn't like it much, I don't know exactly.
Old April 15th, 2007, 05:39 PM

Well he's liking the All Life Stages one a lot better it seems, so much so that he is separating it from the lamb and rice, nothing a little chicken soup mixed into the meal can't fix.

Anyone know where to get this green lipped mussel goodness mentioned above?
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:17 PM
-

It's an ingredient in the Pernaease and the Sasha's Blend here:

http://www.vetproductsdirect.com.au/...tatus=0&Tp=&Bc

I haven't looked yet but you may be able to purchase it at a health food store.