Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old January 15th, 2009, 10:40 PM
CityKittyCat

How much wet food should my cats eat per day?

Hi All,

Sorry that this is probably the most obvious query...

I very recently switched my cats from dry food to wet, but I'm unsure if I'm feeding them the right amount. I am feeding them Wellness grain free canned food.

The can says to feed 1 can (this is the bigger can 5.5 oz) per day per 5-8lb cat. Ok, maybe I'm not feeding them enough??? I have one cat that is 8lbs and one that is 13lbs. I've been feeding them each a half a can per day. Is that not enough? My brain is so fried from all the research I've been doing that I can't get it all straight...

Would love to hear some thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Fig, long haired grey tabby, 7 yrs
Moxie Pop, short haired grey tabby, 9 months
Dinah, short haired tortie/tabby mix, 7 yrs, RIP
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Senior Contributor

There's a general guideline of about 20-30 calories per lb per day for cats. How long have you been feeding them a 1/2 can each? Do they act hungry? I would think they should be eating at least 2 cans between the 2 of them. The 5.5oz cans of Wellness are roughly 200 calories each, depending on the flavour (chicken is the highest at 220 cal). So even at the lowest end of the scale (20 cal per lb) calculated with the combined weight of your cats (21 lbs), they should be sharing something like 420 calories a day, so 2 cans worth.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:56 AM

Good question - I was told (by the vet) to feed my 13lb girl cat Royal Canin calorie control 2 1/4 cans a day. I am trying to switch her over to Wellness Grain free so between the two types I have been feeding altogether 1 1/2 cans a day and she doesn't seem to be starving...I give her a half a can in the morning, a half a can at supper and a half of can before I go to bed. I would think a half a can would be way too small an amount for the whole day Try feeding them more and see if they eat it all.....Let them be your guide. Sometimes if you start out high they won't eat it all anyways so that may be a starting point? Are these grown cats by the way? If they are kittens then they can definately get more
Old January 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
The can says to feed 1 can (this is the bigger can 5.5 oz) per day per 5-8lb cat. Ok, maybe I'm not feeding them enough??? I have one cat that is 8lbs and one that is 13lbs. I've been feeding them each a half a can per day. Is that not enough?
Half a can is too little for both cats.
Well, if one can feeds 8 lbs for a day, then feed your smaller cat one whole can a day- half in the morning and half at night. That should be all she needs, and adjust the amount slightly if she starts to gain or lose weight.

As for the 13 pound cat, I'd feed a 1 1/3rd of a can... she sounds heavy and I wouldn't be surprised if she needed to lose weight too.

And of course, try to follow the calorie rule that sugarcatmom said.
Old January 16th, 2009, 12:20 PM
CityKittyCat

Ok, thank you for the great advice. I will up the amount for sure! I think now that perhaps Fig just would prefer it broken up into three meals as he doesn't like to eat more then half a can at a time.

Also, Fig is actually not overweight, he's most likely part maine coon or norwegian forest cat so he's 13lbs of long and tall!

I feel so much better now. Thank you all so much!!

Best,
Sarah

Fig, long haired grey tabby, 7 yrs
Moxie Pop, short haired grey tabby, 9 months
Dinah, short haired tortie/tabby mix, 7 yrs, RIP
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Senior Contributor

My 5 share two 12.5 oz cans of Innova Evo per day or 4 Innova/Merrick 5.5 ozper day.

They each get 2/2.5 tablespoons in the morning and 2/2.5 in the evening. If the can has more they get a little more than the 2. It roughly equals to a little less than a can a day for each. They also get 4-8 treats 2 to 3 times a day. I've had them on this regimen for several months and they all are maintaining a normal weight.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/