Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 25th, 2004, 03:17 PM

question????????

My husband and I would like help in decided who is right. The debate is this:
I say all male dogs wether neutered or not will hike his leg to peee. My hubby says if they get neutered at a young age they will never hike there leg to pee.
This debate came up because we are to get another dog and I want a girl because boy dog peeeeee's all over everything, my garden, flowers, chairs, table...all outside of course. haha. My daughter has male pek. dog, granted he isnt fixed but he waters everything I have outside.The other two, my rottie and my little yorkie/****z mix are females.
( My daughters dog is 12 years old so not going to fix him this late in life )
So who is right?
Old July 25th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Chloe'-my Pride & Joy!!

lifting leg....

I have heard that if they are fixed before 6 months, they will not lift their leg. Our neighbor has a male dog that visits us every day , and he squats. He was fixed early in life, but I'm not sure at what age....
Old July 25th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Den-Den was neutered at 7 mos. He didn't lift his leg til he was 4 yo! He still squats when he really has to go, and lifts his leg when he wants to leave his calling card (but not often). He learned to lift his leg by watching my Pop's dog. Corky was also neutered at 7 mos. He's loved lifting his leg all over since he was about a year old. He does it even when he's out of ammunition - just goes through the motions. So I think they're all different and depends on what other male dogs are around to learn from. Male dogs are easier to have pee when you want them to. My Pop's female lifted her leg too. I don't think I'm helping the argument! Sorry!
Old July 25th, 2004, 04:15 PM

LOL glassglass. Both dogs lifting their leg to go pee. I have seen dogs neutered at six months lifting their leg. One thing I notice males are less bitchy than females and very laid back. But that also depends on the breed and mix.
Old July 25th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Some male dogs never lift their legs, and some start early, neutered or not. The main difference is that unneutered males are more likely to mark in the house.

Even some female dogs lift a leg!
Old July 25th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

That's been my experience too. The neutered males have been up-front, uncomplicated, happy little boys. The females seem more complex and up-tight. And they rule! When we'd throw balls for Tippy (Pop's Border Collie), Mitsy (Terrier X) would run in, grab the ball and then go lie down with it. It was as if she was saying "That's enough of that!" If Tippy would try to get it, she'd snap at him. My hubby would probably tell you WE are like that too, but he doesn't dare!
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Senior Contributor

When growing up, my male poodle, fixed, 3 yrs old, squatted. He had never seen a male lift his leg. One day he saw one in the yard, through the window and never squatted again.
Old July 26th, 2004, 08:30 PM

I appreciate all the help. It looks to me Im maybe 75% right so that makes hubby 25% right So I win!!! It looks like we will be getting a little girl.
Thanks, HeHe This was all in good fun