Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 9th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Senior Contributor

The mother is vital for survival!!!!

I really didnt know what else to title this.I just had to say say that i dont know everything there is to know about the care of puppies or kittens,but i do know that they should never be taken away or adopted out until they are at least 8 weeks old,if not older.Seeing what i saw w/ those 5 kittens that did not survive because their mother died jsut showed me how so very very very important the mother is in the survival of kittens.I really dont know what else to dya about it except mom is everything for them.......
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:18 PM
cat slave

but when mother doesn't take care of the young what then?? you can't force them together, and at that point human intervention is key. I think they do ok if they grow up in that group and not get sepparated.
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh for sure,i dont mean it that way,s*** we got roxy at only about 4 weeks old,i mean it should be avoided if possible,unless it is their survival that is on the line,otherwise they need to be with the mother until at least 8 weeks,and i am only going by what i have seen and learned from these 5 kittens that passed away,because their mother passed away,i just seen in a whole new light how very important the mother really is for them.
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

So sad that their mother passed away. Absolutely showed how important mom was to their survival.

Cindy
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:50 PM
cat slave

those kittens your landlord was feeding died??

i must've missed that post:sad:
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Queen

I'm sorry, I know its awful you get so attached.:sad:

I've heard of some pretty young kittens surviving okay with human intervention though. Probably quite a few factors involved in what makes it work.

Everyone can't obviously provide this much care but it is possible to save them sometimes:http://members.tripod.com/carraigbirmans/miracle.html
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes the last three didnt make it either,i found out sunday.Who knows maybe they had some kind of illness or something,because our landlord really did a great job of feeding them,making them poop and everything..I jsut cant believe not one of them made it.It was just an experience that showed me that the mom is so very much needed for them to survive,although i know it can be done w/ mom but it shouldnt be unless it is really a dire situation and needed,and i am talking newborns.
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Queen

Yes they may have been sick, to bad they were not being monitored by a vet. Are you sure they were not being fed cows milk? Were they being kept warm? They can't generate thier own body heat when they are that young. Either of those things could have killed them. I want to know what exactly went wrong. Sorry i'm probably not helping. You are absolutely right though they should have thier momma for the best start in life(if its a good one), this was such a tragic story all around.:sad:

Anyway, hopefully some things were learned from what happened and it will help some other story to have a happier ending.