Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old June 21st, 2007, 01:15 PM

Unhappy No vet in Liberia and my Kitten has worms

My kitten I got here in Liberia has worms and there arent any vets here. I was hoping someone here could tell me an alternative way for me to treat her. she is about 10 weeks old, very playfull and quite happy all the time. I am from north carolina and I am a contractor helping Liberia rebuild following the civil war that has been going on here. I would really like to get my kitten back into the good meed she usually is in. Please help.

Sincerely Jason

P.S. I have medical staff here if it requires administering some other medications.
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:41 PM

No vets at all? :sad:

You have to be really really careful with any non-prescription dewormers. I work at an animal shelter and for years we have been deworming kittens with Strongid-T (Pyrantal Palmoate) which is a horse/large animal dewormer. Perhaps that is available where you are? The dosage is 0.1 mL per pound of body weight. This is off-label use though it is not "approved" for use in cats.

Or maybe you could contact a vet from another country and get them to write a prescription for a dewormer like Drontal or Ivermectin and order it online. That would be safest. good luck!

http://www.myvetonline.com/website/l...03&userId=3541
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:08 PM
Senior Contributor

You could ask one of the North American physicians there to write a script for you and administer it to the kitten. Are you certain it is worms? Many kittens are dewormed during their 1st vet visit or else given prophylactic meds. How will you have her spayed or neutered?

I know all too well the derth of vets there- having been to Liberia with Doctors without Borders (did not serve there - it was an emergency operation we were asked while in another country - South Africa actually). We often helped people -esp children - with their pets and I assume there may well be pet lovers among the doctors and nurses with the US Army there? Or Nato's medics?

You will likely find other medical personnel there do not think the same of pets as we do here. Sad buit true - it is a different culture.

Good luck!!
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:43 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Are there feed mills where you are for purchasing stuff for livestock? If so, you can buy a tube of worming paste for horses. Ask them for the mildest they sell. Then only give the kitten an amount about half the size of a small pea. Just put it on your finger tip and adhere to the roof of the kittens mouth. Repeat again in 10 days. Note that this is only recommended due to area you are in and lack of available veterinary care. Otherwise, worming is recommended only on the advice of a vet.