Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old January 26th, 2007, 10:43 PM

Well, she obviously did know she should have gone every day, right? I mean she said she didn't and then said she did, so obviously she knows it's wrong to have not gone every day...
Old January 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
GG,but dogs are companion animals not part of the food-chain unlike cows and pigs,although they also suffer terribly:sad:
Dogs are not supposed to be kept in a stall,in a dark barn,half starved..and puppy-mills ARE illegal,or am I wrong???
Sadly, dogs are not considered pets to everyone Chico :sad: For some their food and fur and others their breeding machines < -- just like cows and pigs and they all suffer terribly.

Puppy mills are not illegal but if you can prove inadequate food/water/shelter (does not include heat) police may intervene In this particular case I believe lack of footprints in the snow proved abandonment (+3 days) pretty sad to say the least. Now there's a chance of proving no vet care as well so and if these animals are really lucky and someone actually does their job:

Animal Pedigree Act:
Regulations 58. (1) The Minister may, by order, declare the corporate powers of any association to be terminated in any of the following circumstances: (a) where the association has failed to make by-laws in accordance with section 15 within one year after coming into existence;

Miscellaneous:
Prohibitions 64. No person shall (g) knowingly offer to sell, contract to sell or sell any animal in a manner that is likely to create an erroneous impression that the animal is registered or eligible to be registered;
Old January 28th, 2007, 02:55 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Frency - r u still going to foster that GD or r they still being treated for hook worms and stuff and can't go right now? If that's the case do you know how their all doing
Old January 28th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
GG,but dogs are companion animals not part of the food-chain unlike cows and pigs,although they also suffer terribly:sad:
Dogs are not supposed to be kept in a stall,in a dark barn,half starved..and puppy-mills ARE illegal,or am I wrong???
according to the Civil Code of Québec, dogs and cats are movable property...just like your tv, sofa, table, fridge. That's the problem here...the laws give NO rights to animals...

I truely hope she gets convicted of the criminal charges that have been laid against her, but I wouldn't be surprised if she gets off.

I hate criminal law -- you have to remember that the level of proof needed in a criminal case is much higher than in a civil case. If you have a contract with someone and they break it, then you have to go to civil court and prove by a balance of probabiblity that you're right (basicaly that there's more chances of you being right than being wrong) -- whereas criminal, you have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she's guilty...it's a heavy burden of proof that's very hard to meet....

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."

Last edited by meb999; January 28th, 2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old January 28th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Does anyone know,if she's been charged with anything yet??

GG,I believe we a have the same animal-cruelty laws in Ontario,dogs/cats are property,not living breathing,feeling creatures.
It's just incredible in a country like Canada,we still uphold a 100yr old law,very sad:sad:
Old January 28th, 2007, 04:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
Frency - r u still going to foster that GD or r they still being treated for hook worms and stuff and can't go right now? If that's the case do you know how their all doing
I did ask someone from here who's a volunteer for them because I did not hear from anyone from the spca since I was there last week. Vets are checking up on the dogs everyday. Some of them (or all?) do have hook worms. 5 of them are ready to go into fostering. I guess I'm not part of that "batch". Maybe it's for the best. My foster Molly is almost adopted and may leave next week end for her new family. So it would be better if I get the Dane next week end. If only I could get the dane's measurement, a coworker is waiting for this to make him/her a winter doggy coat. As for the lady, I may be pessimist but the more I think about it, the more I think she will not be proven guilty.
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:45 PM

DOes anyone know if ****** is involved in this puppy mill at all? WHen I saw the news, it looked like the doings of this lady. She used to run (and I believe still is active somewhere) a "rescue" called *******, in **** or nearby. SHe has become a hoarder and is a Great Dane fanatic. She has been breeding Great Dane rescues with anything, just to make a buck (like there's a buck to be made in rescue!!).....

I busted in her place back on January 3, 2001 and saw horrible conditions. I along, with 3 other people, rescued 3 dogs from there that had been put in "quarantine" by a fellow rescuer, and what we saw was apalling.

Barnotti took this to court, and the lady got a slap on the wrist. She was told never to do this again, and I swear, upon watching the news, it screamed ****.....

If anyone has heard either the name of the landlord or the tenants, please let me know if this lady is involved. I swore to her I would make sure she never does this again, I rescued a Great Dane from her a few months ago through a third party, and Scooby was so thin it was pathetic.....

Thanks for any info

Last edited by White Wolf; January 31st, 2007 at 06:45 PM. Reason: slander- removed name
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:48 PM
-

You should call Linda Robertson at the spca, if this is the same woman,I'm sure Linda would be glad to hear, it could help with the trial?
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:35 PM
An Honest Contributor

I got my Brandi from her. I doubt she's involved but for sure that wasn't her.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Does anyone know,if she's been charged with anything yet??

GG,I believe we a have the same animal-cruelty laws in Ontario,dogs/cats are property,not living breathing,feeling creatures.
It's just incredible in a country like Canada,we still uphold a 100yr old law,very sad:sad:
The last I read was they may charge the pair with animal cruelty, they were investigating. I e-mailed the detective in charge of this case but I wasn't expecting a reply.
I wonder how the people of Ontario were able to get a law passed against puppy mills, anyone know?
Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
An Honest Contributor

Never mind dumb question
Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:45 AM
Senior Contributor

GG,I really don't know if we have a law against puppy-mills or not,probably no different from Quebec ,but since we are asked by the OSPCA to report any such goings on,I just assumed we have a law protecting these unfortunate dogs.
Often these puppy-millers when raided and recieving a slap on the wrist,move on to Quebec
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:25 AM
An Honest Contributor

I huge difference between our provinces is Ontario SPCA investigators have the same powers as police officers when enforcing animal cruelty laws. The only agency that can do that here is AnimaQuebec < -- they removed that status from our MSPCA but with no funding from the gov't they can only collect complaints but can't do anything about it Barnoti has a petition circulating asking for that mandate back.

I also think there's strong support from ontarians calling for amendments.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:31 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Often these puppy-millers when raided and recieving a slap on the wrist,move on to Quebec
Cause they know Anima-Quebec was opened to ensure the puppy mill business remains untouched :sad:
Old February 3rd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Voici Hope dans toute sa maigreur. En mortaise, les plaies au cou, l’oeil est particulièrement tuméfié. Hope s’en sortira malgré tout. (Photos: André Corbeïj)

Ce grand danois arlequin est une femelle, peut-être la dernière à avoir donné une portée de chiots à l’exploitante du ranch Les Aventuriers de Saint-Mathieu-de-Laprairie.

Quand on a nettoyé cette petite chienne et qu’on lui a fait une taille convenable de son poil, on s’est rendu compte que son collier jamais ajusté était en train de l’étouffer. Elle en porte des marques très visibles.

Sous alimenté, confiné, livré à lui-même
Hopele danois reprend du mieux mais il n’est pas sorti du bois…

Jacques St-Onge
Collaboration spéciale

Parce qu’on ne pouvait savoir son nom, le danois rescapé a été rebaptisé «Hope» par les gens de l’équipe de la Société pour la prévention de la cruauté envers la animaux, SPCA, basée à Sainte-Angèle-de-Monnoir, en retrait du chemin du Vide. «Hope», un reproducteur, n’a plus que la peau et les os mais il porte en lui l’espoir de vivre pour lequel il se bat avec 31 de ses semblables soustraits in-extrémis aux mauvais traitements qu’on leur infligeait dans un chenil clandestin, une petite usine à chiots de Saint-Mathieu-de-Laprairie

Le 18 janvier, au bout d’un va-et-vient incessant de quatre jours des gens de la SPCA Montérégie à Saint-Mathieu, les policiers de la Régie intermunicipale de Roussillon munis d’un mandat, faisaient irruption dans une grange délabrée et non chauffée du rang Saint-Pierre. À l’intérieur du bâtiment, des chiens reproducteurs hurlaient de désespoir confinés par couple dans des stalles fermées, piétinant leurs excréments, totalement privés d’eau. À l’extérieur, d’autres chiens, des husky attachés sans nourriture, tiraient de rage sur leurs chaînes pour qu’on vienne s’occuper d’eux. C’est du reste leurs jappements continuels qui ont alerté des résidants du secteur. L’anormalité de la situation a été signalée à la SPCA Montérégie dont la responsable, Linda Robertson, a enquêté sur le cas durant quatre jours, constatant sur place que personne n’était venu s’occuper des chiens durant cette période. Depuis combien de temps étaient-ils abandonnés? Nul ne le sait précisément mais dans le cas de «Hope», on peut dire qu’il était minuit moins une. Il s’est est fallu de peu qu’on ne trouve que son cadavre, explique-t-on à la SPCA.

Lorsque les représentants du Journal se sont présentés chemin du Vide à Sainte-Angèle jeudi dernier pour prendre des nouvelles des rescapés, la préposée à la chatterie, Karine, avait dû délaisser son activité coutumière pour s’occuper des chiens sortis de l’enfer qui réclament une assistance de tous les instants. Nettoyés, nourris et examinés un à un par le vétérinaire, ils s’accommodent bien dans l’ensemble à leur nouvelle vie et plusieurs d’entre eux trouveront sans trop de difficultés une famille d’accueil. «Nous avons eu des centaines d’appels d’appuis, de sympathie et d’intérêt pour une adoption», nous a assuré Mme Robertson.

Si tous vont s’en sortir puisqu’aucun chien du ranch Les Aventuriers (!) ne sera effectivement euthanasié, quelques uns garderont longtemps des séquelles de nature à influencer leur comportement. Ainsi, depuis son arrivée dans les locaux de la SPCA, un dobberman noir renommé Montana s’est réfugié sous un bureau, tapi dans l’ombre, refusant d’en sortir. «Nous l’avons trouvé dans un coin de la grange, seul et apeuré, et nous avons dû tirer fort sur la laisse pour le sortir de là. C’est un chien qui, pour un motif que nous ne connaissons pas, est terrorisé par quelque chose et c’est fortement imprégné en lui», indique-t-on à la SPCA.

Hope est une plaie vivante.
Hope est fatigué et il a toujours froid même au chaud. S’il s’est prêté de bonne grâce à une séance photo - l’animal est dépourvu d’agressivité - il n’a qu’une seule hâte, se rouler en boule sur le coussin le museau enfoui dans ses pattes, trouver sa chaleur et dormir. Qu’importe le tapage et le va-et-vient continu des autres chiens autour. Hope, qui peine à se tenir sur ses pattes, fuit la douleur qui ravage son corps. Le poitrail du danois, son cou, la partie gauche de la tête, l’œil gauche surtout, semblent être brûlés à l’acide mais en réalité c’est à force de se frotter contre le muret de son enclos à la recherche d’eau ou d’un peu d’affection, n’ayant d’autre possibilité que de s’étendre dans ses propres déjections, que la peau a été mise à vif et que des plaies sanguinolentes sont apparues.

Le cas de Hope est loin d’être unique au Québec. Les usines à chiens pullulent en Montérégie, cachées dans des fonds de rangs de campagne bien à l’abri des sanctions, des lois et règlements qui tardent à être édictés aussi bien à Québec qu’à Ottawa.

Les exploitants de ces usines ne se perçoivent pas comme des monstres malgré l’horreur et la désapprobation publique que chaque découverte d’un de ces lieux suscite. Ils agissent en gens beaucoup plus soucieux du profit qu’ils retireront de chacune des portées de chiots que du bien-être même minimal des parents reproducteurs.

En ne protégeant pas les couples, en leur imposant des régimes de vie aussi cruels, bien des chiots en portent la marque et succomberont quelques mois après leur achat dans une animalerie.

Le faux n’est pas rare dans ce type de commerce; même les certificats de santé du petit animal présumé avoir été vacciné, etc, peuvent avoir été signés par des vétérinaires qui n’existent pas…On retire trop vite les chiots de la mère, on les lave, on les enduit de poudre bonne odeur et en route pour l’animalerie.

Ainsi tourne la roue pour l’homme qui n’est pas l’ami des chiens.
Attached Images

Old February 3rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Basically the article is talking about the animal seizure that the SPCA Monteregie did in January. The picture is one of the dogs that the shelter named "Hope" She was in bad shape, underweight etc.
Attached Images

Old February 3rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok,English please,or a translation of the important parts,please!
Old February 3rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

When the shelter workers tried to clean this dog, the collar was tight on him from the puppymill that this is the marks that it left.
Attached Images

Old February 3rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk View Post
The picture is one of the dogs that the shelter named "Hope" She was in bad shape, underweight etc.
That's the one I met when I was there . :sad: and the other one with the "embaded" collar. (excuse the spelling)
Old February 3rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,those poor dogs:sad:
I hope with a name like Hope that she is still around,gets treated and I wish a totally different treatment for this evil woman
Old February 3rd, 2007, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's for the news PT,I did read the story in English before,I just thought maybe there was some more news.
I hope that woman does not get any dogs back,if this is not horrible neglect and animal-cruelty I don't know what is
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:29 PM
Owned by goldens

Quote:
Thank's for the news PT,I did read the story in English before,I just thought maybe there was some more news.
I hope that woman does not get any dogs back,if this is not horrible neglect and animal-cruelty I don't know what is
According to her all she is guilty of is not cleaning out the stalls often enough. Ya right!!!!

You know the only thing that gives me any peace is knowing that some day, somewhere this lady is going to have to answer for her actions here on earth. I don't know if it is just me but I find it so difficult to comprehend how a person who is a mother and is suppose to be a nurturer did this.
I would imagine that because she is facing legal charges that child protective services will be advised and will be investigating. Hopefully other agencies like Revenue Quebec and Canada are also advised. The lawyer fees could be quite high.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:59 PM
An Honest Contributor

I agree. I can't stomach how people could in one breath say they love their animals yet force them to live in such disgusting conditions. If their going to profit from them wouldn't you think they'd protect their investment with at least minimal vet care, proper food, water and heat? I feel like vomitting just looking at Hope, and the thought of all the suffering she and all the others of had to endure. Some people are truly disgusting and evil. I shrudder at the thought of her being a mother. A cold blooded person doesn't start and stop with animals. It scares me just thinking about all the millers out there with no one is willing to help them. These animals were very lucky to have been found and seized. I wonder just how much exposure of animal cruelty will it take before our gov't will allow animal cruelty laws to be up-dated?
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Senior Contributor

What you say,brings to mind an EX-friend of mine,who kept a Great Dane X in a pen outdoors 24/7,365 days a year,where if the dog(Crystal) did not eat her kibbles fast enough the mice would get it.
In her mind animals,were animals,dirty and not to be touched out of fear of germs:sad:
Why did they have a dog?? They were broken in to once and she was supposed to be guarding the house.
However she was a wonderful grand-mother and mother,went to church sometimes 3 times a week,obviously forgetting dogs are also her Gods creatures.
No matter what,you cannot get a person like that to change,a cow,dog,pig,cat or anything other than human,was a dirty filthy animal devoid of feelings,in her heart.
This puppy-miller woman,could be the best mother on earth,her love though did not extend to those poor suffering dogs:sad: and more than likely her kids will grow up feeling exactly the same way
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:04 PM
-

I went to the spca earlier to get Nelly, my foster a BIG thanks to Suzyqt and Boubou, they groomed Nelly and she looks like a princess. She is the sweetest girl. Sorry for the pics but she was very busy sniffing everything in the house and meeting her new bros (Bailey , Sam and Monsieur le chat) she already came up on the bed and is most comfy to get pet if the others are nearby. Already knows how to give kisses ! She is now resting beside Bailey.

Last edited by Frenchy; September 9th, 2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:14 PM
-

The girls tought she was under 2 yr old, underweight but nothing like Hope (who is doing much better and I saw the female shaggy too ; total love bug,still have some drool on my face from all the kisses!) Nelly might weight about 70 pounds ? She is not pregnant, may have just started her heat (off to buy diapers tomorrow ) she doesn't seem to like going outside, I have to coax her BIG time. I wish I could stay home tomorrow ! I'm already in love with her !
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Rottie owner and lover

ask and you shall recieve.
She is a beaut
Attached Images

Old February 6th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Rottie owner and lover

she is looking as if to say, isn't there food supposed to be on these things. Congrats.
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:23 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk View Post

Did you see the new seizure dogs from last night?
Don't worry, I will take better pictures this week end, it's already dark when I come home from work. Yes I saw some of them, I wanted to take a look at a Boxer mixt, to see if she looked boxer enough to ask Boxer rescue, she was being helped by 2 girls, she was getting ready to give birth , thank god she is not outside like yesterday :sad: I saw others that were outside playing together , I swear I heard them say ; we're free ! yipeee !
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover View Post
she is looking as if to say, isn't there food supposed to be on these things. Congrats.
Thanks yes I will have to be careful , no food on the counter !