Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 29th, 2004, 08:42 AM

Took our New Baby to the Vet...Not good news

What a day yesterday... On monday our New puppy decided he didn't want to eat or drink anything. He ate nothing all day Tuesday, only had a little water around 6 in the evening and then still refused water and food on Wednesday. He also had diarhhea, and his urine had a cloudy colour to it, and then he vomitted phlem twice.
Of course I called the vet immediately and got him in as an emergency appointment.
Thats when my day went from bad to worse, emotionally.
The vet is completely confused about our little guy. She tested his eyes and verified that he is in fact "stone blind". His body temperature, is below normal, his gums are white, (not the healthy pink colour they should be) and he has this "wobble" or lack of balance issue.
On top of all of this he isn't eating or drinking....aurgh. So then she started talking about, having him put down...if things got worse. Basically I had to decide on what steps we could and wanted to take starting with blood work, urine, feces testing....a $300 expense that in the end may not get us anywhere, then a referral to a neurologist.
I just loved this little guy so much, so here I am crying and trying to make smart decisions...mean while she ( the vet) is completey confused by him, and have a hard time helping me with options.
After I managed to calm down, I decided to go ahead with the blood work...then I had to take him home and try to get him to eat and drink, or he was going to die anyway...
I came home and cooked 2 cups of white rice and added a bit of beef broth too it. Then filled a turkey baster with water and sat down, praying I would get our darling to eat.
Thank god he did!!!
He ate about half of the rice and then ate a bit more this morning. I also got water into him via the turkey baster and after eating he took it upon himself to drink on his own again. God must have been listening, cause I sure was praying.
He seems to be in better spirits this morning, alot more energy than he has had in days, and I have taken him back to the vet for his urine tests and observation. I go get him in a couple of hours...
The blood work shows that he is low in protein, and salts, but she needed to do more testing to try to pin point the problem...the urine and feces she said should help.
I need to get my little guy healthy and I don't know where to begin.
Do you guys know any recipes that I can cook myself that will help this little guy.
I so desperately want to defy the odds that seem to be stacking up against us here. I believe that I found this little guy for a reason, not to lose him a week later. I mean the rescuers themselves drove five hours to bring him to me...he just has to make it. There has to be an explanation for everything right???
My husband is worried that the neurologist is going to cost a huge amount of money...and that we may not be able to help him in the end anyway..
what a roller coaster of emotion.
If any of you guys have any advice for us, I would love to hear it. I'm not ready to give up...he is so smart, and beautiful. He has so much potential to be such a wonderful boy.
Thanks everyone for listening...I have a couple hours to wait before I can talk with the vet again...
Sorry for the long post!
Mel
Old July 29th, 2004, 08:52 AM

Oh, what a horrible ordeal for you to have to go through. The poor little guy, to have to go through all this so early in his life.

I have no advice to give you. I will see what others have to say. I just wanted to say I admire what you have done so far for this guy and I hope all gets better and you can enjoy a long healthy life with him.

Heather
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:02 AM

Thanks Heather,
The long and healthy life bit....ME TOO!! I was up with himlast night through the night to go potty and then this morning when my hubby left for work, he brought him up and put him in bed with me. I woke with his head resting on my chest, and I felt like crying.
I am praying for a miracle here...I hope I find one!

Mel
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

I am on the verge of tears!! This poor little guy. To go through so much in such a short period of time! We're thinking about you!! ((((HUGS))))

Please let us know how it goes at the vet! Whatever the decision I am sure that you and your usband will make the right one!!! Best fo luck to you guys!!
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

If group prayers, group ((HUGS)), and group support have any power, he'll have that going for him. Poor little guy and poor mommy!
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
If group prayers, group ((HUGS)), and group support have any power, he'll have that going for him. Poor little guy and poor mommy!

You are so very right! Look what happened to Chinacoreys pup! We are all rooting for this little guy and tomorrow we will hear that he is improving a lot!

Heather
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh no! That poor baby - after all he's been through, now this. Poor him and poor YOU!

I have no advice to offer, just sympathy and good wishes!

I HATE backyard breeders.
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Well LuckyRescue at this point I am beginning to agree with you!!

Thank you ALL for your support. I am hoping that when the vet calls perhaps she will have more direction for me.
There are 6 vets in our animal hospital so I am hoping that while he is in there this morning that they can all have a quick look at him and maybe have some collective opinions. As well the vet said yesterday that she was going to do more research about his symptoms so she had some better idea on what may be going on.
I have been searching the net this morning for some homemade dog food recipes too. I am thinking that a really nutritious food, made by me will help him get stronger faster. Are there vitamins out there, that you can give your dog???
Do you guys use homemade recipes or just store bought food.
Have any suggestions on what is best out there.
Still no word from the hospital...but I will keep everyone posted.
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Luba homecooks for her dog, so maybe wait until she is on and can reply to you.

Heather
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm not that knowledgeable about vitamins. My previous dog lived to be 18 and had a "Pet-Tab" every day. I guess it's just a multi-vitamin for dogs.
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh I feel so bad for you and this little guy. A few suggestions for feeding you can give him pedalytes that you use for babies to combat dehydration and rice or pasta and a little bit of cooked chicken or broth as you have done. But I have found pedalytes are great when my guy is not feeling good it keeps him hydrated. I will be hoping that you get some good news after all you are doing for this poor guy. Is the problem with his balance anything to do with inner ear infection, and have they ruled out Wobblers? Wishing you the best
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Might the balance just be related to the blindness and the fact that he's still a growing puppy? I don't balance so good with my eyes closed.
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:54 AM

His balance issue is hard to describe. He has a hard time going because of it. For instance when he starts to move he really struggles, you would think he was drunk if you were whatching him. Once he is up and running it isn't so bad, he still tends to "flop" over but not as often.
He also"flops" when he changes direction, and it always seems to be on the Right Hand side.
He even has trouble just sitting down at times. Like a lack of co-ordination. This is why everyone seems to feel it is something neurological.
Now he may out grow this, or learn to compensate his body to adjust to it, or it could get worse...which is my greatest fear, because a 100 pd dog "flopping" over could be dangerous, to himslef and others.
When he is tired it gets worse. For instance the apst couple days since he was so weak, he was falling all the time. This morning he seems better.
I just wish someone could say to me, this is what's wrong, and this is what we have to do to fix it. I also am praying that I am not looking at thousands of dollars in the end.
Life sure does throw out curve balls, doesn't it!!
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:32 PM

How awful for you to go through this. Yes life throws you curve balls when you least expect it. I hope you get answers that you need too. It's so much better to understand what's wrong then.

Here is my get well wishes for a speedy recovery and healthy vibes.
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:03 PM

I just wanted to add, I had seen one case that sounds just like yours. It turned out that the puppy was having a allergic reaction to his shots. This might be something to ask the vet, or aleast see when his last shots were. Just a thought.
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:15 PM

This puppy is only 8 weeks, well we are into his ninth and he hasn't had any shots yet.
Also, he is still at the vet. Seems they haven't been able to get a urine sample from him yet.
Been sitting here worrying all day, and still nothing.
Thanks for all the kind wishes everyone!!!
Mel
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:46 PM

Smile

Good luck to ya!
My grandmother's dog is blind from birth and he has always had a wobble. He falls quite a bit and you can certainly tell when he's tired because it's worse. He's 11 years old now and having a ball, we will hope for the best. Rice and cooked oatmeal together with a bit of broth is the best. They are appealling and you don't need much to keep him full. Steer clear of anything with beef, as most dogs don't tolerate it as well, especially when they're ill. Good luck.
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:51 PM

When my moms chi x was sick, she used to steam fish (cod I think) for her....apparently it has lots of nutrients that are good for them. I heard boiled chicken is good too.

Good luck.
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

How nervous you must be,I am sitting here in tears and I don't even know the cute little guy
Hopefully we'll have some good news,I know that everyone here are pulling for him and you.It would be so unfair if he was sick,being blind is hard enough for a little pup,but with you as his care-giver I am sure he would have a wonderful life....lot's of hugs to you and the baby-pup.
Old July 29th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

OH nooooo! Thats just awful awful horrible. BYBs need to be PTS for the suffering they cause these souls and their families. AHOLES!!!!!!

Okay, well I can offer some advise about the food and since your baby is so young you have to make sure hydration is very important.

We need to see if healthy food will increase the immune system, as it sounds the immune system your baby was born with has been pretty cruddy (and so was my girls).

I would stay away from hamburger because of the grease content. BUT use chicken, turkey and beef. Just don't use them on the same day.

Make a chicken stew with lots of lovely veggies (potato, carrot, string beans, broccoli, celery etc..) except onions, put some elbow noodles in it and lots of chicken cut into small morsel pieces.

Simmer it until its done. Give your puppy several small meals a day. The juice from the broth will keep the pup hydrated and the protein, carbs and vitamins will start to boost the immune system. Freeze some of the broth into ice cubes and let the pup use them to chew and suck on...additional hydration and teething Also good therapy for keeping the puppys muscles moving.

So do a nice pot of this and feed it for a few days.

Snacks can be unsweetened applesauce, a couple of teaspoons in the morning and night to keep the stomach settled. At this point I don't suggest much in the way of raw foods except perhaps a little piece of banana, watermelon, things that are easier to digest.

IF you juice your own foods and make juice drinks you can give pup some but not TOO much, you don't want to overload.

I started home cooking for my pup because she was sick and it helped her more then you can imagine. I make protein shakes for myself and Sadie always gets some. For now, maybe just try the home cooking.

I wish there were more I could offer to you.

Sometimes they don't want to drink but if you put the water on your fingers they'll lick it off,...then you just put your fingers closer to the bowl and immerse your fingers in the bowl so they think they're licking off your fingers trick them haha!
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
Make a chicken stew with lots of lovely veggies (potato, carrot, string beans, broccoli, celery etc..) except onions, put some elbow noodles in it and lots of chicken cut into small morsel pieces.

Simmer it until its done.
Mmm, that sounds so good!! I think I might make that for dinner - FOR ME!!!
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Praying for You and your pup

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I have an 8 month old border collie X and the 1st or 2nd week that week got him, he started getting sick too, to this day I have no clue what it was, and its like every month there is something new! For example, last month, i took a nap and woke up and looked at him-- his left eye was swollen like a balloon-- i quickly had to call into work and go to the vet-- so much money, but it was an allergic reaction. And last week, he distroyed his stuffed toy and eat the insides ( a little amount) and couldn't poop for a while... dogs are more expensive then i ever thought-- but when i see him suffering, i would pay everything that i have ( especially hard for me cause i'm a college student who pays for everything that has to do with the dog-- great responsibilty).

Anyways, sorry for my long message.. my point is that everyone has scares with their pets... and we are all hoping your pup gets better ( he is very lucky to have you as an owner)

oh, and just a thought, can you purchase insurance for the pup ?
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:28 PM

Pet Insurance is available from a couple of carriers. Unfortunately, they won't cover this particular pup now because it's a "pre-existing condition". Gotta love insurance companies (I should know - I work for one!).

We have insurance for Phoebe from PetCare. It's $20/month for our particular package - well worth it when I think of the thousands of dollars everyone is putting out of their own pockets in all these posts!!.
Old August 1st, 2004, 02:58 PM

Bullilover got this pup from a rescue, knowing that he was blind, but then found out it could be much worse... we are all crossing our fingers and hoping for the best.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:09 PM

Reply....

Hello, I am so sorry to hear about your beautiful little fella. I hope that everything goes good for you. Just a little while ago, my little girl got really sick and she started to leak urine. Did you rule out the option of infection? I mean I'm no vet doctor, but I've heard of a lot of sick puppies . What it sounds like to me is something that he could be eating our something he is getting into while he might be outdoors. Maybe he could be allergic to the grass of to plants, to the food you are feeding him, it could be anything. But if you didn't rule out the possibility of infection, I really would try it out and see what kind of responce you might get. May God bless you and your little one, I hope everything goes wonderfull for you. I couldn't imagine anything happening to my girl of my father's little boy. Good luck and God Bless.Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullilover
What a day yesterday... On monday our New puppy decided he didn't want to eat or drink anything. He ate nothing all day Tuesday, only had a little water around 6 in the evening and then still refused water and food on Wednesday. He also had diarhhea, and his urine had a cloudy colour to it, and then he vomitted phlem twice.
Of course I called the vet immediately and got him in as an emergency appointment.
Thats when my day went from bad to worse, emotionally.
The vet is completely confused about our little guy. She tested his eyes and verified that he is in fact "stone blind". His body temperature, is below normal, his gums are white, (not the healthy pink colour they should be) and he has this "wobble" or lack of balance issue.
On top of all of this he isn't eating or drinking....aurgh. So then she started talking about, having him put down...if things got worse. Basically I had to decide on what steps we could and wanted to take starting with blood work, urine, feces testing....a $300 expense that in the end may not get us anywhere, then a referral to a neurologist.
I just loved this little guy so much, so here I am crying and trying to make smart decisions...mean while she ( the vet) is completey confused by him, and have a hard time helping me with options.
After I managed to calm down, I decided to go ahead with the blood work...then I had to take him home and try to get him to eat and drink, or he was going to die anyway...
I came home and cooked 2 cups of white rice and added a bit of beef broth too it. Then filled a turkey baster with water and sat down, praying I would get our darling to eat.
Thank god he did!!!
He ate about half of the rice and then ate a bit more this morning. I also got water into him via the turkey baster and after eating he took it upon himself to drink on his own again. God must have been listening, cause I sure was praying.
He seems to be in better spirits this morning, alot more energy than he has had in days, and I have taken him back to the vet for his urine tests and observation. I go get him in a couple of hours...
The blood work shows that he is low in protein, and salts, but she needed to do more testing to try to pin point the problem...the urine and feces she said should help.
I need to get my little guy healthy and I don't know where to begin.
Do you guys know any recipes that I can cook myself that will help this little guy.
I so desperately want to defy the odds that seem to be stacking up against us here. I believe that I found this little guy for a reason, not to lose him a week later. I mean the rescuers themselves drove five hours to bring him to me...he just has to make it. There has to be an explanation for everything right???
My husband is worried that the neurologist is going to cost a huge amount of money...and that we may not be able to help him in the end anyway..
what a roller coaster of emotion.
If any of you guys have any advice for us, I would love to hear it. I'm not ready to give up...he is so smart, and beautiful. He has so much potential to be such a wonderful boy.
Thanks everyone for listening...I have a couple hours to wait before I can talk with the vet again...
Sorry for the long post!
Mel