Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:16 AM

Unhappy Whats on my mind...

Dear people at pets.ca/forum..

I was trying to walk Jin but when I put the leash on he turned his neck and bit it. I put some anti nip solution on the leash but he kept biting. Then I belly rub Jin, scratch him behind the ear and all the good spots to scratch and touch dogs but Jin cocks his head and bites me. I dont know whats with him. He's been doing this. I dont know what to do. I dont what to do to make him stop. I constantly yell OWW but he just ignores me and chews something. Then I give him the cold shoulder but again he just ignores me.

I try scratching him where most dogs would like to be scratched but he just bites me. I thought he would trust me by now. I guess not. Im not going to give up. I was expecting this. I knew there was gonna be a point where my dog would do this. I guess im just a little.. I dont know just a little sad. Im trying to get my parents to love Jin and trying to make this little doggie from the shelter the best thing that happened to us. But so far my parents are still awkward about him. They supported me thin and through raising this dog and im grateful.

I have and will give Jin my 100% love, care, time as long as we both live. But its hard when Jin is acting like this. Im doing all the things the trainer suggested. Walking him, scratching his tummy, neck, ears, but so far hes bitting me ( maybe its nipping ). I know I am an annoyance to this internet community and im sorry. Ive been getting a lot of hate P.M from people I dont even know so maybe I'll stop. But thank you everyone who helped me raised Jin and YOU bet I will love him. I just dont know what to do. I dont know how to solve his biting problems. Might be nipping or what not but it gets in the way of our training and play time. I dont know, just the way everyone tells their stories about their dog and them having a good times makes me think of " Will me and Jin ever be like them?". " Will I get a chance to experience that joy of dog trust?". It just makes me wonder and question my faith in Jin. Im not saying im quitting, in fact Freyja experience inspired me to do better. Just that its hard and tough. Everyday I go through the same biting and leash biting.

Sorry www.pets.ca/forum if Im immature, annyoing, or a bad dog owner but Im trying my best. You can critize me, make fun of me, and get angry, but im going to still Try to win Jins heart.

(Maybe the last post I ever write)
Dog owner pupil to the pros in CaNaDa,
Jay Lee
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy hateful PMs, that is just disgusting and im sorry

im soooo sorry, now thats terrible, who sent these awful pms to you?? thats just plain mean and nasty and totally not the reason this board exists, you just ignore those morons honey .
i have been reading your posts and i see absolutly nothing that makes me angry or hateful, gosh some people are just really desperate for some attention and note they did not do it publicly, why you may ask-because they are wimps and need to hid behind a computer to be nasty, loosers., please dont think its you, there are some pretty nasty people out there and unfortunatly they have come here to, no where is mongrel proof.. you are trying and that is what is important, you want to love and that is important, and you are trying to love a soul that has had a bit of a hard time and i totally commend you for sharing in that spirit, screw anyone that is mean to you. dont go away, stay a while and learn a bit and make some new cyber buddies, im sorry for the experience you had but this can be a lovely place, you just have to sort of sift through the bull**** to find it sometimes.
now as far as these stories of love and dogs that do all they can to please us, well my girl is 8yo and i had her since a pup and trained her myself and still am. yes she is a good girl mostly, but it has taken us 8 years of work to reach that point, oh dont doubt for a minute that she cant be the biggest and naughtiest bugger in the world, she still does things that surprise me.
it takes time and lotts of patience, jin has had it rough so he will take time, it wont happen overnight, but you guessed it- it will happen. have faith in yourself and jin, he will come around but he needs time, he will trust you he is just getting used to it is all. also some dogs are not that hands on or cuddly when we want, only when they want, so give him time.
now you said the other day your going to dog school right?? well have a chat to your teacher, perhaps they could do a little extra to help you, give a bit of advice and such. also ask them if they know someone who does home training relativly cheap. we have a group here in OZ called 'barkbusters'. they cost around $100 for a session at your home, they work with you and the dog and they actually do such a good job they even have a life time guarantee for their work and i have seen them work miricals on the hardest dogs, the type people even great trainers just give up on. now i know its expensive, but maybe borrow of the folks or hit them up for an early birthday present (thats my fav trick).
now your not annoying, immature, boring or anything like that, just ignore the fools, they just need a little something in their lives, feel sorry for them as it is actually quite sad the way they behave.
now, chin up missy, dont let anyone pick on you, and just ignore them. stay around, keep lovin jin, and it will all be so far in the past one day you will not really believe it was your experience. now go and have a chat to jin, best way to clear your chest, and the best part is he cant repeat any of it, lol. and give yourself a big hug and a big chocolate
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:46 AM

Keep it up

Hi Jindo4life,

My puppy, Maggie is just over 9 weeks. She is really into the nippy stage - I have done a lot of research and am taking the saying "ow" approach..so far, it is working. She still nips quite a bit, but she is starting to listen when I say "ow" repeatedly and leave her to play, since she can't play nice.. I am also telling her when she is "nice" and rewarding her for it. Hopefully she learns soon. I am getting tired of her nipping at my face to wake me up in the morning...it startles the heck out of me!!

Good Luck!
Lisa
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Why did your parents ever let you get a dog,if you have to make them try and love him
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Jindo, I am very sorry to hear that you have recieved hateful PM's. That's very childish and immature. Considering that this board is majority adults, it's disgusting to hear.
I'm glad that you don't not willing to give up on your puppy. He is little and it's gonna take some extra time, it doesn't mean that he's dumb, or your dumb. The Jin might just be stubborn and is having difficulty seeing that you're the dominant leader. Has you obidenece class started yet?

They are little tricks that you can do the "trick" your dog into believing that you are the dominant leader. When you feed him make it look like you are eating it first - don't crouch done on the ground by his food, but instead - before you put the bowl down make sure he sees you eat the food first (just pretend though ) and THEN give it to him. This signifies that you are the leader of the pack adn the leader always eats first. When giving attention to the dog, make him earn it!!! Before you pet make him sit or lie down THEN pet. When the nipping starts pull away and say "NO" loudly. wait until he settles down PRAISE him - give him a small treat or something... Then try and pet again, just keep up with that cycle, hopefully something will come of it!!! Good Luck!! Keep your head high! You're better then a lot of pet owners, at least you're asking questions and trying to save your relationship with the Jin!!! Again, I'm sorry for the childish antics of the "adults" on this board.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
Why did your parents ever let you get a dog,if you have to make them try and love him
Some parents will sacrifice their happiness for that of their children. His parents might hate dogs, but beacuse he wanted one, they let him have it. My parents did the same for me when I was younger.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Keep going to the obedience classes. Puppies are lots of work, and from everything I"ve seen and heard, this breed can be pretty challenging.

The trainer suggested scratching his ears and belly? Are you really going to obed. school? You said the PetSmart classes were only in September, so I'm a little curious. We want to help you and your dog, but cannot if you are not being honest with us.

I'm very sorry if anyone sent you nasty PMs. That is really uncalled for and I hope you will ignore them.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

It just makes me wonder and question my faith in Jin. I understand what poeple do for there children,then maybe the parents should fake it and act like they like the dog,the dog is the one who is gonna suffer if the parents dont help...........
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:12 AM

Jay Lee, I know it's hard, but pay no attention to negativity. Whomever sent you hateful and cruel PM's is obviously an ass, who does not have the gumption to say it on this board. Forgive ( or forget ) their stupidity and move on.....

Quote:
The trainer suggested scratching his ears and belly? Are you really going to obed. school? You said the PetSmart classes were only in September, so I'm a little curious. We want to help you and your dog, but cannot if you are not being honest with us.
Wow. Did you ever think that perhaps she got advice over the phone or ??

Jay Lee, read silver_girl's post above. Sooner, rather than later Jin will understand about the nipping. I have all faith that you two can lick this problem! Keep trying, it'll pay off for you both.

Trescanis
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

If people have to pick on you and send you hateful emails and pms then just ignore the ignorant. You are trying your best and asking for help if you did not ask for help and said I am getting rid of Jin they would do the exact same thing so don't waste your time on them and just hit delete or if you can block them. I have had a fair amount of experience with rescues and I have found that talking to the dog and I mean just when you are sitting around or out for a walk or trying to go for a walk just keep talking and using there name and in a calm voice seems to make there trust in you grow.I am sure my neighbours think I am uts but I talk to the dogs at home all the time. I have had some severely abused dogs (physically abused) and these guys take a long time to trust anyone. My guy that I have now Buddy was so scared of males that he would freeze on the sidewalk or try and run the other way. After a month we could go for a walk with very little reaction to other people on the sidewalk. He grew to trust me and started to realize I would not let anybody hurt him he now trusts me totally and will actually step in front of me if he gets a bad vibe from someone. He still gets scared but I don't think those memories are easy to forget. I think you are really trying and it will pay off and when it does Jin will be your best friend. Keep your head up and don't worry about the ignorant they obviously have no life and nothing better to do.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:34 AM

Please report any hateful PM's to Marko, the Administrator.

Also, if you feel like it, post them. I guarantee the people won't have the guts to do that again!

Heather
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Wow. Did you ever think that perhaps she got advice over the phone or ??
"Wow"?? Ummm, no I didn't think that, and why would I since this person specifically said that he/she was attending obedience classes.??
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:26 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I ignore PM's that are sent by idiots, you should do the same! Anyone who doesn't have enough courage to post on a thread what they think, and yet tuck it away in a PM deserves no attention at all.

You are doing your best, you are trying which is more then a lot of people do. Don't let it get you down, think of whats best for your pup!

It takes hard work and patience but things will improve,
Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

If there's a problem with PMs, bring the problem here in a post. That's what this bulletin board is for. Isn't it? All of us have different problems. When we relate experiences here, that's exactly what we're doing. How can we give any advice if we don't have some experience to draw from? Just hang in there and keep us posted of your progress. One day, you'll also be helping someone else.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:40 PM

Don't give up Jin -- some people just aren't that good with kids, I think. Maybe they forget that you're young and can't understand why raising a puppy is so hard for you. I don't know, but your last post was very sweet and I hope it will help people understand that your intentions are good. Also, your puppy may be driving you nuts right now, and sometimes it may seem hopeless, (I'm raising a bitey little guy myself right now and it can be sooo frustrating!) but if you keep at it you will have a very nice pal who will reward you more than all the work you're putting into him. Don't get discouraged!!!
Old July 24th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww Jin,your post almost made me cry...
I have not read your other posts,but judging from this one,you obviously love your dog,it's too bad your parents don't feel the same way...
I am hoping they might help you,in allowing you to get a dog,they too are responsible for the dogs wellfare,as well as yours.
I cannot imagine why anyone would send you nasty PM's,I am kind of curious to find out.....unless you had been rude,or abused your dog in earlier posts...
Old July 24th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

People sent nasty PM's just because they're cowards is all!
Old July 24th, 2004, 06:03 PM

Jin, don't give up and ignore the stupid, coward people who sent you those pm's.

Where are you located again?

If you would like help w/training him, I can see if there is another DDB rep in your area. (sorry I can't do more) but DDB= Dogs Deserve Better and we help people who need help training their dogs,people who need help getting their dogs to the vet and help pay vet bills, etc.

Please let me know if I can help you at all. If you want to read more about DDB first before you decide here's the website Dogs Deserve Better

Please don't give up, maybe after your dog is able to get more help and your able to get more support maybe your parents will come around and be alittle more at ease. The part that might be scary them is that he is nipping. It doesn't sound like your getting too much support from them.

I'll help you. Let me know OK.

www.dogsdeservebetter.com
www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com