Old March 24th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Dementia

Anyboody ever deal with this? I'm starting to wonder if it isn't starting to affect Coco. I have no idea how old he is, I know he's definately a senior kitty. I'm guessing probably now around 18!!

Anyway he's starting to show some of the signs of it. Very restless at night until everybody goes to bed then he can settle down. A bit of pooping outside the litter box. He's not constipated, but caught him on my bed last night. It's almost like he goes in the room with the litter boxes, forgets what he went in there for and then gets caught short in another room. Now on the other hand his appetite is excellent, never misses a meal! He can still jump up on the counter for goodies and the dryer to go to sleep. He still plays, not often but he loves to play with light.

I'm going to get another litter box to put in my room, just in case he gets caught again. (And take out shares in Nature's Miracle!!) I'm not sure if there's medication but I don't know if I'd want to use it, seems llike alot of these drugs have tons of side effects that I don't know are worth the risk. He's still a very lovey kitty, gets grumpy with Noella but then I can't blame him, since she likes to tackle him every now and then.

I want to take him to the vet for a check-up but I'll wait till the weather warms up a bit. Now of course if something drastic changes I'd be hauling him off alot sooner!!
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

My 20 yr old, Aztec, has a bit of dementia. Forgets he has a full dish of food in the night and wakes me up with his really-loud-cause-he's-almost-deaf meow. Sometimes he goes down to the basement and yowls until I "rescue" him. Can't figure out if he's lost or just likes the sound of his voice reverberating off the concrete. I tried night-lights, Feliway diffusers, and flower essences but they haven't really helped. Would still be worth trying in your case though since every cat is different.

Make sure you have Coco's T4 tested when he goes in for a check-up (usually included in a full senior blood panel). Sometimes a hyperthyroid can manifest as restlessness and increased appetite. How is his weight? Notice any extra drinking or peeing?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

His weight is good. He likes water from the tap and doesn't drink to excess. I do usually add a bit of water to their food anyway. He's not the one usually asking for crunchies at night. Doesn't seem to have any problem remembering he's eaten or had goodies. He's pretty quiet actually unless he wants something like lovies, a drink or it's goodie time...has no problem remembering that in the mornings! I think his hearing and eyesight are still fine, he can hear that bag of Temptations being opened no problem and find his treat! It sure sucks getting old!! Next in line is Bobee, he's 13 this year.

That's a good idea with the feliway. I think Noella stresses him out a bit but she doesn't bother him in the litter box which is good. I like the collars so I'll pick one up and see if that helps him at night.
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

We are sure out 20 year old is experiencing some dementia which she shows in Deaf Cat Howl. She will walk by us in the living room, get up on the chesterfield, face the back and HOOWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. We will yell at her (because she's rather deaf) GINGER and she'll look around in surprise as if to say, "Oh, there you are" and lie down and go to sleep. I do feel it's definitely complicated by her hearing loss but she shows other signs as well.

For the litter box problems, do you think that could be partly arthritis? Lifting legs over the side might just be painful so he doesn't do it? I wonder if this is even more the case if he is still bathrooming in the right place, just not right in the box? We think this might be the case with our 18 year old. She poops in the box but pees outside, beside it, on papers. The other way around would be easier to clean up but we don't see any signs that she is mentally losing it so we wonder about the arthritis, she definitely has it.

It's tough when they age poorly. We are due for annuals for all the critters so I'll be asking about several things for the two oldest cats.

Oh, I am giving Ginger Cartrophen Vet injections for her arthritis. It really helps. I may have to go to once a week instead of every second week but it's not too expensive. My Vet pre-loads syringes for me and I pay about $27 with tax for 5. Just in case you think arthritis may be a factor in your litter box problems.
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I think Coco may be having a bit of arthritis, just by the way he walks. He still jumps up on things but I try to make it easier for him. He's got 3 litter boxes to choose from all different sizes so I don't think that's an issue for him. I should see about gettimg some natural stuff for his joints. The only youngster is Noella so everyone else could benefit from it I'm sure.
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:29 PM

Hi:

The problem you are having brings back memories of a chat I had with a vet a few years back about cats that would eliminate outside the litter box, and usually on something soft like a bed or laundry. She was saying that under certain conditions arthritis seems to affect their feet from time to time, and she found under certain circumstances if the litter was changed to a different brand preferably a smaller granule that it would make a difference to the cats ability to use litter box. Not knowing what you're using for litter it might be something worth considering, or looking into.
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Thanks Reg, that could very well be it as well. He's also declawed in the front so that likely means his toes are more sensitive. I usually use Odour Buster, was using Nature's Miracle but Pet Valu doesn't seem to carry it anymore. I've tried the corn ones but certain cats around here seem to like the taste!!
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Kitty pimp

no perfumes on the litter ok ? I bet your diagnosis is correct poor guy cant get there fast enough and yeah is sucks to get old but the alternative isn't much better
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:18 PM

Hi
Have you considered using "Swheat Scoop" litter? It's a wheat base - as the name implies - and the granules are fine, and I've been using it for years now. And it's flushable.
I have had no problems with our cats, over the years, trying to use it as a food supplement. There is no odour to it either. And Pet Valu carries it, and because we have a 6 cat household, - 1 is a foster cat - we purchase the Multi Cat bag, and it generally does us a month.
Initial start up is expensive, but I find it cheaper in the long run. Just recently we had a multi cat household friend - she has 8 kitties - switch to the Swheat Scoop and swears by it. In fact, she wishes she had switched a year ago when we first suggested it to her.
Old March 25th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I have tried it in the past and found it stuck like cement to the litter boxes but maybe wasn't using quite enough. I'm not afraid to try it again so I'll pick up a bag on my next kitty litter run. Hahah we should take out stock on some of these kitty litter companies, sometimes I feel like I'm supporting them!!
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:50 PM

Hi:
The instructions on the bag suggest that a minimum level of 3 inches in the litter box should be maintained for maximum benefit.
I have also found that the older litter boxes that have been well used - it did have a tendency to stick. I find that I have to change my litter box about every year, and some folks also wash the litter boxes on a regular basis - which is also a good idea.
I've also found that the finish on the litter boxes wears with use and this too will cause the litter to stick to them.
And it also seems that some boxes have a better finish than others so I guess it all depends on the manufacturer of the box.
One other thing that I have found is that if a cat is passing larger amounts of urine - a health issue - it will have a tendency to stick as well.
I believe you are right - we should all take out stock in the litter companies. We could "potty train", but that's another story.
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Kitty pimp

i use very large aluminum ( disposable) roasting and broiling pans for older cats i cut the sides down as much as possible and the older ones find it much easier to use