Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 1st, 2010, 08:35 PM

what are you feelings on this?

a "breeder" and i use that term loosely is advertising dogs for sale and different prices for different colours. the colours that they are charging more for aren't even accepted colours but they are advertising them as "rare". They are going on about for "for the love of the breed" and all that crap but the dogs are not registered and if you wanted to better the breed why would you breed for the "rare" colours. I am not trying to say that dogs don't deserve a good home because of their colour or they they aren't just as awesome as a breed standard coloured dog. I am just furious that people are still buying the whole "rare colour" and that the dogs are registered under some fictious kennel club meant for designer dogs. Like my friend just paid $$$$ for a "registered" minature apple head chihuahua in a rare colour *blue merle* I have tried to drill it into there head that no colour is rare, blue merle is because of cross breeding and the dog is not registered under anything legit. Chi's are either short or long coat and breed standard is between 2 and 6 pounds. granted the dog is cute but i am sick and tired of reading the stupid way people advertise dogs.
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:18 PM

Or how about 'ghost' or 'shadow' labradors...which are obviously wiemeraner/lab at some point, or some such, which people are trying to push as purebred 'rare' labs.
Too bad gullibility isn't rare.
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:36 PM

you won't believe the amount of people out there who believe this crap. It makes me furious. Like the amount of people who come up to me and ask me if my daytona is a teacup chihuahua? No she is a normal 3 pound short hair chihuahua. And even family I chewed out. Someone in my family paid 600 for a x breed puppy when there was the same x at the shelter, same age and colour and everything. Shouldn't it be illegal to have these fake registered designer dogs? What can we do to educate people on this whole fake world of animals???
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor

This is definitely a BYB. I don't know of any ethical breeder who sells pups at different prices because of the colour.

The "rare" will not go away.

Just to clarify something about registration. It's the "breed" that is being registered, not the colour. Yes the colour is stated on the registration papers.

Here is an example.

minature apple head chihuahua in a rare colour *blue merle*

So on the paper it will say:

Breed- Chihuahua

Colour- Blue Merle

Make sense?
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:53 PM

I understand how they are registered. There are some dogs who are sold as registered but not under the ckc or akc. Like they are advertising as registered with the ACHC ex... http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/american...hybridclub.htm

how do you have a pure breed hybrid dog? It is a scam. What ever happened to ethics?
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

I fluked breeding a chocolate coloured (pure bred, registered) Australian Cattle Dog, maneater. Where he was concerned , just a throwback, a mutation of the blue gene , and yes, rare, but we made no fuss about him. I gave him to my mother so we could keep an eye on him to see how his colour finished up. I know that in the States they make out these dogs are special, while to me it's just not true to Standard. Know where you are coming from with the Chihuahuas too, I owned a black and tan Chihuahua Long Coat. Why on earth would you want to introdude the lethal blue merle gene into a breed that never had it? LOL@ the idea of a hybrid club. What next!?
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:48 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneater View Post
What ever happened to ethics?
Ethics flew out the window as soon as people realized they could make a killing doing no work.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Ethics flew out the window as soon as people realized they could make a killing doing no work.
I'm with you on that one m/f
Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
I know that in the States they make out these dogs are special, while to me it's just not true to Standard.
Please don't try to make it sound like this is something only American's do! It happens the world over when dealing with puppymills and backyard breeders.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:17 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
Please don't try to make it sound like this is something only American's do! It happens the world over when dealing with puppymills and backyard breeders.
Google and you will find every country has "hybrids" for sale. Not cheap either.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Exactly!!!!!!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

sigh, it'll never stop. Doesn't just apply to dogs. Any animal that can be domesticated or kept as a pet have the same "rare" colours, skin, size, type. A friend of mine was asking about house hippo's she saw for sale at some pet shop. Now these are hairless guniea pigs that they're selling for 10 times what a regular guin sells for. I wonder how many people have bought them and then stupidly tell everyone they have a house hippo. They'll probably put them in a water filled tank too and expect them to behave like hippos and drown the poor things.

clm
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:53 PM

Well Scruffy IS a purebred Canus Albertus (born in alberta to alberta parents). That makes him his own special breed! And just to keep him special, he's fixed!
Dang humans, no wonder I prefer my doggy.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 03:21 PM

My new pup is wheaten-colored, a breed-approved, but unusual color. It is a recessive coloration and a quality breeder who researches and knows the pedigrees of the parents knows what to expect. I didn't pay more for him because my breeder is reputable. I have seen this color selling for way more than the expected Scottie colors in black and brindles. These breeders list the wheaten color as being rare and bump the price several hundred dollars. The problem lies when people make a purchase without doing research first. A fool and his money....well, you know the rest.

With my new pup, I've been asked if he is a rare color, if he is more "valuable", and have been told he isn't a pure-bred Scottie. Personally, I don't care what others think. I know my pup is a quality dog.

I've recently been seeing information on white Schnauzers and black and white Schnauzers and how rare and expensive they are. These are not AKC approved colorations and are disqualified in the show ring. Not sure why this would make anyone want to pay more.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 03:54 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
Well Scruffy IS a purebred Canus Albertus (born in alberta to alberta parents). That makes him his own special breed! And just to keep him special, he's fixed!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
. I have Canus Quebecus's. They range from 5 lbs to 150lbs. Come in various shapes, color and sizes.

. sorry, I just couldn't help myself but Etown_Chick just killed me.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Variety is the spice of life they say , BenMax.

Scottie Dog, I love the Wheatens. In a way I can understand someone paying extra for one, especially if it was a good specimen of the breed, but then as a former breeder of ACD's I can't understand anyone paying extra for a chocolate ACD. Your colour is approved, chocolate is not in our breed. I did think how nice it would be to have a third colour as our dog looked lovely sitting between a blue and a red, but they are such a fluke thing that I doubt if anyone would try to breed for it.
As for hybrids and the amazing things that people advertise, of course all that would happen here, especially after the gardener who ran his own TV show did a hatchet job on so many pure breeds and promoted "designer dogs" every chance he got. It was only in the States though that I saw the chocolate ACD being treated like it was a good thing. At the time breeders here were denying they'd ever bred one, even when reliable sources told me they had. LOL.