Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:18 PM

Wish people would think...

that when you get a dog from a shelter or any other place that it takes time to retrain them, takes time to get them to trust you, take alot of time and things just don't happen over night and that you need to work with the animal and be consistant. I am no expert and i am not perfect when it comes to animals. I have 3 dogs and it took me time to train my lab that chihuahuas are not chew toys, kids are not walking treat factories, slippers are to keep my feet warm not your pillows, you pee outside evein when it is -40 out and your up to your armpits in snow. It just drives me nuts that you offer any sort of advice you can offer doggy play dates and they just dont want to hear it. I would hate to see the dog go back to the shelter and who knows what happen to it.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:24 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Perfect discussion! I had a customer come into the store the other night and ask if I knew someone who could use a partly used bag of dog food as they had returned their dog to the shelter. I was busy so couldn't delve deeper but it saddens me.
It's the same with cats. People think it's fine to have a cat for a while and then if things don't work out to take it back and leave it where they found it. No matter where that was. It isn't! You see it happen way too often. Just dump the cat wherever. It can fend for itself. Cats deserve a loving home too.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
Doggie Wench

Not too long after we adopted Lucky, a vet told me to return him to the shelter because of all his problems. I was asking for advice with his issues, the last thing I was prepared to hear was, "bring him back."

I get where you're coming from, maneater. I wish people would remember that it didn't take themselves overnight to learn how to use the toilet bowl, how to communicate/speak, how to play nice with others, how not to eat with their hands, etc. etc. I don't know why people refuse to understand that it's the same with all animals. You're right, it takes time, patience, and consistency.

Is this a friend's dog you're talking about?

to you.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:39 PM

I am almost tempted to ask to take the dog. i konw I might end up on the street but at least the dog could have my spot in bed. I just wish people would take the time and learn what these dogs are cabaple of. I took in one dog who I knew would have problems. He was abused by children *i had a 1 year old and a 5 year old at the time* didn't like men, was never socialized never trained to do anything, left alone for days in a room with food water and papers to go to the bathroom on and it took us almost a year to get him to where he is now. now he will curl up to my now 2 year old and sleep with him, love attention when I have company over and will even go outside when it is -40 out. I hate seeing dogs bounced from home to home. I put it it to the dog owners this way. If I take my kid to the mall and let them run free and just occasionally say don't touch that or quit being bad when we go to the car they really have no direction.. but if i take my kid to the mall a few times a week, hold their hand and tell them no as they are going to touch something and teach them how to act when we are in stores then even eventually they will not need me to hold their hand and they will learn that in this enviroment this behavour is appropriate and this behavour isn't. Well that is the approach I take when training my dogs. Mind you it is a bit modified. I am just so frustrated/sad/upset/angry. I am the type of person who works so that my dogs and my kids have a better life.
Ps, here is a pic of the dog I took in who was scared poopless of kids. Please don't mind the laundry....it is laundry night.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:44 PM
Doggie Wench

Funny how it's the most difficult dogs that can become the bestest dogs. Wouldn't it be grand if everyone could know that ahead of time.

Love that photo .
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:48 PM

I also know someone who adopted a dog that was aparently house broken and trained. The dog had some problems and the owner took the time to work with the dog and now the dog is a therapy dog.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
-

With good techniques , I believe 99% of dogs can become wonderful pets. What people have to remember is that , any dog with "problems" weren't born this way (again , in 99% of cases) they become this way because stupid humans.

but yes , too many people adopt thinking the dog will be 100% clean right from the start , will be loving & comfy the minute they walk into their new home , won't be scared of anything , will be 100% train and listen to everything the owner will tell them to do ... those people should get a fish instead !
Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
but yes , too many people adopt thinking the dog will be 100% clean right from the start , will be loving & comfy the minute they walk into their new home , won't be scared of anything , will be 100% train and listen to everything the owner will tell them to do ... those people should get a fish instead !
Or a pet rock!! Then they won't have to be reminded to change the water

I love that picture, maneater!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:55 PM

Scruffy was a holy terror when I first adopted him. He would bite, challenge me for food, didn't seem to want to warm up to me at all. I was worried I wouldn't be able to help him or keep him.
I stuck it out and now have the best companion ever.
I wish people could see that animals are worth the effort. THey don't return the kids to the hospital when they act up..sheesh!
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

O.K. guys, I really wish there were a lot more people like all of you that give of your time to help all the animals. The world would be a better place.

I used to call Greta the foster from hell, what I would give to have her back.
Keep up the good work, if we could all convert just one person to think like us, just think how many dogs and cats could be saved.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post

I used to call Greta the foster from hell, what I would give to have her back.
Believe it or not , twice I asked the spca to find someone else , who was home all day , to foster Nelly. She wasn't my dog , she was a foster. Twice in the first 2 months , I got totally discourage with having to clean for about an hour every night coming home from work , pee , poop / diarhea , and seeing what she had destroyed , new day , new things destroyed . Even if I crated her , she would soil the crate and herself. Both times I asked them , I would change my mind the next day , telling myself I wouldn't be able to send her anywhere else , it wasn't her fault. Do you know how glad I "tuff" it out ? Do you know how great she is today ? All that happened , wasn't her fault ... Thank dog she's still here with me !

Same for many other fosters , many of them soiled my house , destroyed things that were dear to me , but it wasn't their fault and they all got better with a little training. All it takes is time , love and patience.

oh and maneater , that is an adorable picture !!
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
Senior Contributor

frenchy your the best, like diesel it just takes a a spechial person! brenda and the pins
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes it can take time for a dog to adjust and develop trust and you know what...you may never be able to completely heal the past. Poor Joey trausted only me until the day he died despite the fact that he was treated with kindness by every human he came in contact with, for every minute of his life, for 5 years.

My theory is that we're the ones with the greater resaoning abilities,we're the ones with control, we're the ones who should offer compassion and understanding. And for Joey that meant understanding that he was never going to be anyone else's idea of a perfect dog. He didn't need to fit an ideal, he just needed to be loved and protected.
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

I know exactly what you mean. My foster dog Bolt just came back after 4 days. I warned the couple that he would need work and offered sessions with a behaviourist for free if they felt they would need it. He hates other dogs until he meets them and with time and effort would be the most wonderful little guy. He is super awesome in the house and loves to cuddle. High energy, but what 3 year old beagle isn't. They couldn't even give him a full week. I have never been more disgusted with any family than this one. If I didn't already have 5 dogs I would consider keeping him, but I'm moving cross country in the spring and can't even consider it. I wish people would think before doing. I gave them the good and the bad and asked them to take a few days to think about it. They emailed me back 2 hours later.....
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor

That's unconscionable !! What did they expect? With that kind of reasoning everyone should divorce in the first week of marriage and all babies would be taken back to the hospital when they're 4 days old because they don't feed and change themselves in the middle of the night. And everyone should be fired from their job at the end of the first day.