Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 10th, 2009, 11:31 AM

Question Crate

Hi,

I just have a few questions about using a crate for your dog.

1. Can I put a chewing toy in the crate with my puppy for the night? I read somewhere that you should not put anything in his crate except maybe a blanket or cushion but maybe he would like to have a chew toy...

2. Is it OK to use the crate for "time out" during day time? Or is it better to use another small room in the house?

Old October 10th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveCharlie View Post
1. Can I put a chewing toy in the crate with my puppy for the night?
Absolutely it's okay, in fact preferable. You want your puppy to associate the crate with good things, and to give him something to do in there.

Quote:
2. Is it OK to use the crate for "time out" during day time? Or is it better to use another small room in the house?
The crate is a great place for time out. Here are some links for you to read on crate-training and chew-toy training that you might find useful. Check out the rest of Dr. Ian Dunbar's site as well for tons of excellent info on raising a puppy:
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training...-amp-doggy-den
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training...ewtoy-training

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

The reason it's not a great idea to give them a 'chewtoy' in the crate is for their safety. Your dog is usually in the crate without supervision, which means if anything were to break apart or become a potential choking hazard no one would be able to help him. A treat that is quickly edible is much safer.

It depends on what kind of 'time out' you're referring to. If you need a bit of a break, or you cannot watch your dog for whatever reason even if you are still home, it's fine to put him in his crate. This only helps him get used to his crate.
BUT if you are disciplining your puppy for something, do NOT put him in his crate as a form of time out. This associates a 'bad place' for him, and can bring negative associations with the crate.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
The reason it's not a great idea to give them a 'chewtoy' in the crate is for their safety.
That's why it's important to choose an appropriate chew toy. Like a Kong or Busy Buddy.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
maybe a blanket or cushion
I couldn't put those in either. He chewed them and he swallowed. He pulled the towel we put over top at night in and chewed it too. Sleeping on the bare aluminum bottom of the crate tray seems to have had no adverse affects and I think was even preferred by pup because it was cool.
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Half Way To Crazy

when I crated I never put anything in the crate at night cause I did not want him to play when it was sleep time. night time was meant for sleep and quite time not play

I also never put a blanket or towel in there when they were not supervised,

during the day is when they would get a toy in their crate.

IMO yes you can use the crate as a time out but not on a negative note.. if he/she has done something wrong, correct the bad, wait a couple of minutes then get him/her to do something good and reward him/her then put him/her in the crate.

Last edited by breeze; October 10th, 2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old October 10th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Bennie is wonderfully crate trained, and as a time out for me, when I am doing some really important school work, and cant keep my eyes on Ben, I crate him. He is a large breed and hasnt managed to chew pieces out of his kong, but its always a good idea to ONLY put a toy in the crate with your pup when you can observe.

Bennie doesnt have toys at night, simply because when he wakes up restless in the middle of the night, I dont want him playing in there, instead of sleeping as he is supposed to at night. His crate is in my room, so a big dog, with toys in the middle of the night, is undesirable.
Old October 10th, 2009, 08:26 PM

alot of people disagree with how i use a crate but I will put it out their... with all my dogs, I keep food/water in the crate and a toy (kong) and bed/blanket. None of my animals have ever chewed the blanket or dog bed. I keep my dogs in the crate when I have to run out for a long period of time. During the night they sleep with me unless they have put themselves to bed in the crate. If the dogs get way to excited and start playing a little rough with eachother *think lab vs chihuahua* I will put them all in their crates for a time out unitl they calm down usually about 5 min. Then I open the doors and they come out when they feel like it. When they were puppies I used the crate during the day for house breaking and they did sleep in it at night. I dont' believe in taking water away from them or food becuase hey even I wake up some times in the middle of the night thirsty. I know alot of people who are against food and water in the crate but this is just what I felt comfortable. MY dogs have never messed in their crate, and when I say long periods of time I usually mean just a few hours. Like 4 at the most. When I am at work I come home on lunch and let them all out give them some loving and they go back in. I guess it all depends on the dog.
Old October 10th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Doggie Wench

We leave Kongs, Busy Buddies, Canine Genius Leo ( http://www.caninegenius.com/ ), and the Zogoflex Tux ( http://www.westpawdesign.com/catalog...tough-zogoflex ) in the crates with our guys. Always stuffed with interesting treats, mostly homemade stuff and healthy leftovers, and sometimes frozen to keep them occupied for a longer time. I'll crate our guys when it's pouring outside for a few days and I want to them to do something else other than wrestle in the house with each other all day long .
Old October 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I just have a few questions about using a crate for your dog.

1. Can I put a chewing toy in the crate with my puppy for the night? I read somewhere that you should not put anything in his crate except maybe a blanket or cushion but maybe he would like to have a chew toy...

I have crated our small dog @ night in our bedroom for over year,and have 2 chew toys in crate.Some eves when we are ready for sleep but not her,she goes in her crate and chews on toys til she settles and sleeps,works better than having her start to cry & whine to get out.Just like a kid that doesnt want to go to bed when you put them to bed.