Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 26th, 2017, 09:17 AM

Wirearound jaw after surgery

My cat had a broken lower jaw surgery 3-4 months ago. He has wires in his lower jaw that had to be removed 8 weeks after the surgery. The problem is my car doesnt drive anymore and i couldnt get him to the vet since its an hour drive...can the wire get infected if it isnt removed and is it important to remove it as soon as possible now? Or is it okay to leave it in? He doesnt have any problems eating
Old November 26th, 2017, 01:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you called the vet that did the surgery to see what they suggest? It might not be a matter of infection risk. Maybe the worry is that the bone will eventually grow around the wire, making it a more invasive surgery to remove it at a later date if a complication occurs (metal allergy, irritation, etc). If the vet thinks it's a 'the sooner, the better' sort of deal, I'd start looking for a ride. Do you have any friends or family that might give you a lift--maybe offer them gas money and lunch to make up for it?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 26th, 2017, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the quick answer
Yes, the phone just keeps ringing....the problem is I just moved from croatia to germany 4 months ago and the people here arent so open to favors :/ i'll probably have find a new vet thats closer and pay again for the removal.....the current vet was an emergency vet( the cat was hit by a car on a sunday) and charged 2500$ in advance for the surgery and follow up appointments😅
Old November 26th, 2017, 04:19 PM

And the wire was around the bones, to prevent the bone from growing around it since it was a vertical fracture of the lower jaw
Old November 26th, 2017, 09:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ouch! Both the jaw and the price! It would be a shame to let the money you already paid for follow up appointments go to waste, so I hope you can find a way to the surgeon. But, at the very least, you'll need to see a vet to make sure the bones have knit before having the wire removed--whether or not you see the original surgeon to make that assessment.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."