Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:16 PM

The Ongoing - Second Dog Debate!

Hi Everyone,

I posted a thread about a month ago about adding a second dog to a household. I am still trying to decide (talk about really thinking things through- this debate is going on month 6 now.. I really want to make sure its the right decision all around)! I was originally going to rescue an older dog, but after talking to many people on this site and friends, I decided Nitro would do better with adding a puppy as a second dog.

So here I am again, still debatting about adding a second dog. My biggest concern is that I am worried about Nitro and his anxiety when left alone (with and without the puppy). Inevitably, he needs to be alone at least 4-5 hours a day while we are work and I need to keep noise to a minimum. I have awesome neighbours, but everyone has their tolerance level...As it is right now, he's quiet and doesn't make a fuss when we leave and I'm nervous to "rock the boat" so to speak. I've never tried leaving him alone with another dog so I'm not sure how he would react. I don't know how confident I am in his ability to adjust his routine because he is so clingy. I know it probably sounds very silly, but if I didn't have neighbours he could bark all day for all I care until he gets used to it, but not so much an option for me!
Just to give an idea: Nitro quite happily goes in the basement during the day when we are out, he has his huge crate, he has water and gets his food when we leave and has his toys. He is quiet, no barking, no anxiety. So Im wondering how to keep this routine of not having him bark when we leave like he first did when I rescued him.

So I was looking for feedback from people who have 2 or more dogs living in a townhouse/apartment/semi detached or sharing walls with neighbours! How do you manage noise levels? What do you do when you leave your dogs alone? Any tips or tricks would be awesome! I am trying to find someone I know who would "lend" me their dog to try it out, but no luck so far!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help!
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM

Here are some pictures of the monster He's such a good boy- I wish this decision was easier!!!
Attached Images

Old February 5th, 2009, 09:49 AM

Just bumping this up.. Just in case someone who lives or knows someone in an apartment/townhouse/semi that sort of thing have any advice on having 2 dogs and how things went when you got the dogs. How do you manage noise levels? What to neighborus typically give you a hard time about? Im likely too concerned about my neighbours and them giving me a hard time.. but I havent ever had 2 dogs while sharing walls, only when I lived at home with my parents in a single home... any insight would be appreciated!!
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:42 PM
border collie mama

i think getting assecond dog could only help with your pups separation anxiety. do you have a friend with a dog, that you could do a "test run" with to see how your buy reacts with another dog while you are gone?
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Could You try "Borrowing" A friends dog for the day? See how he manages? But Let them meet a few times before bringing the dog into your home so he is used to the dog? If it doesnt work out with a friend dog i wouldnt get too discouraged, because everything takes time.

Maybe explain to your neighbors what is going on and ask them to be understanding, while working on a few issues? Ask them if they would be okay with maybe a trial adoption or a foster, as it is not permanent. And that way, if he does bark, they know whats going on, and they can give you a bit of time to work on it!

I dunno, I obviously havent dealt with this sorta thing, but it could work.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

lol. Ally, Great minds trhink alike I guess.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Master of the Drool!

I agree with the board and see if you can do a test run with another dog. My guys have always been together so I am not sure. Matt will bark in the house and Murphy won't but when they are outside Murphy makes all the noise. Lucky in the house the barking is 2 to 3 barks at a time. Good luck
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:19 PM

Thank you for the replies! I was getting worried I was alone in the boat!!
I am trying to get a friend to "loan" me a dog, issue being most of my friends dog's have issues (health, behaviour (one of my friends dog is an obsessive mounter... and driving distance being factors). I really need to test with him a calm dog that is confident away from its owner to test him.

Im also wondering even just "playing" how to manage the noise. I know I am not the only person who would have 2 dogs (I think one house in the row across from us has 5!) so it must be do-able!!

The puppy I am looking at getting is coming from a reputable breeder, and wouldnt be ready until August this year so I have a lot of time to get Nitro ready and really work on his training. The puppy will be crate trained from the start as well, and I have alot of support from my Flyabll and Agility team which will be handy when I run into obstacles. Nitro is a rescue so he had major anxiety but we have his training to the point where he is confident when we leave him alone, he doesnt bark at all..

All things considered... if people dont complain about the parties and insanity until all hours on weekends.. whats a crying puppy.. but I tend to think and worry more about others than I should, Im sure they dont think of us when they invite 20 people over until 3am!!
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

What about fostering a Calm submissive dog??
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:12 PM

I've pretty much decided on getting a puppy as my next dog, I have looked into fostering/trialling an older dog but decided against it with the rescues I spoke with, just based on Nitro and his personality and finding the right match.

All my dogs growing up and Nitro are rescues and now that I am involved in Flyball and Agility with Nitro, I am looking at a Border Collie or Aussie as my next dog. I am in contact with the BC Rescue in case they get a litter or young pup surrendered into Rescue, and I am in contact with 2 amazing breeders who have a waiting list but hopefully I can eventually find the right match.

The most important thing is Nitro and the second dog are happy and content! And keeping the peace with my neighbours!
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Formerly known as Grover4

I could always loan you one (or both) of my dogs but I highly suspect that you don't want Spencer there teaching Nitro any more bad habits (or have your basement chewed apart or have an eviction notice on your door when you get back). I am sure Sydney would be more than willing to give it a shot and we could set up my laptop and webcam on them to see what they do when you leave.

As you know, Spencer has had severe anxiety since day 1 of having him and we were in a semi-detach at the time. We were lucky because the center wall was all concrete so the neighbours couldn't hear very much. You could actually hear him more from outside than you could from in their house. The main thing that they used to hear was them running up and down the stairs but that is sort of noise you have to expect when you are not in a single home. I think that as long as you can keep the barking under control, all the other noise it tolerable.

Now it is just to figure out what to do with Spencer when Sydney is away, he would go nuts. We could try it on a day that I take as vacation or something, or on a weekend.