Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 27th, 2009, 05:42 AM

grieving dog

HI there

My dog name Jazz is going to be put to sleep today. I wanted to know if there is anything that I can do to make the grieving process better for my male dog. He already knows that something is going on. As he goes up to Jazz and kisses her and lays right beside her. Should I bring him to the vets today when I put jazz down. Should he see her died. or will it make him scared of the vet.
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Hi, I don't have an answer to your question but I just wanted to send you my condolences. I am so sorry about Jazz.
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

So sorry that you are losing your beloved companion.

I think the only person that can help you with this decision is the vet. I personally would not have my other pet with me because I do know that they can sense when an animal is ill or dying but I do not know how they react watching this happen.

Maybe there is a behaviouralist here that can answer this question.

Peace to you and Jazz.
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I am so sorry to hear about your dog Jazz.

I went through this in January, and there is no easy way for anyone. However, I don't think it is a good idea to bring the male dog with you.

Please don't forget, that he will be picking up your vibes. You will be sad and he will know it.

The best thing that I have found is to concentrate on those that are here. Take him for a walk, spend more time with him and try to keep your spirits up. Your mood will affect your dog, they live in the now and don't feel sorry for themselves.

Good luck and my prayers are with you.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry you and your family will be going thru this today...ask your vet about the procees and ho wthey feel about your other dog being present. :sad:
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM

JAzz is gone as of 12:45

Jazz is gone. It was the worse thing that I have had to do in a long time. The worse thing is that I can't see her any more. I don't want to look at pictures of her. I want her. I had a hard time making the decision on which time or date to put her down. I just had to do it. When I got off of work this morning. She was very bad. I have to go to my daughter's award ceramony. Then I took her just to the vet. Then On the way Jazz start to look better.
I hope that this was the right thing to do. I haven't stopped crying. I feel myself pushing myself away from my other dog. As I'm scared to get hurt again. I love him don't get me wrong. I know that he will help me with my feeling. I think that I 'm going to take the advise of the last post. And take him for a walk,.... The other sad thing is that my brother's dog just ran away. She was the same age as Jazz.

Jazz Jamieson Born MAy 2002 - March 27, 2009 :cr y:
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:46 PM
-

My heart goes out to you.

Dear Jazz
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:13 PM

So sorry for your loss, I know it's not easy and that nothing could make it better, I understand completely and many others do also, stay strong...

jazz
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM

so sorry

for your loss.
my heart goes out to you
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:57 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I can tell your sweet Jazz meant the world to you. It is such an empty feeling. Your other dog will grieve and the two of you spending time together will help you both. Please don't push him away. You both need each other during this time. I went through this a few months back. My old guy became very clingy and much more needy and affectionate. He could sense my sadness, and I know he was lonely too. You will be in my thoughts.

Jazz
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Laval Zoo

Sorry for your loss I can only imagine how hard that drive was for you... RIP Jazz
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Jazz It is a very difficult thing but also a very strong thing that you did. Jazz would have thanked you for it. It does get better in time. I promise.
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

You honoured Jazz right to the end, which is all one can ask. I agree with others that you should keep your male dog close and do things that will cheer you both up.

Jazz.
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:36 PM

((hugs)) my condolences to you. When my Retriever, Zeus died at home - on the day the vet was coming to have him PTS our other dog Mindy was right there. One of the first thoughts I had afterwards was "I can't go through this again" - Mindy is eleven years old and although healthy, she certainly isn't immortal. Instead of pushing her away I freaked out every time she coughed/scratched/ whined/slept too much/too little - I'm sure you get the picture.

Mindy grieved too and was far more affectionate than she has been for a long time. She broke my heart every time we'd walk and see a Retriever she'd want to go over to it. The pain will ease in time for both of you. Meanwhile my heart goes out to you.
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM

sweet Jazz.... not sure of Jazz's story.....

I am positive she is running at the Bridge and please give lots of TLC to your other furbabe, he will know that there is a void in the house and in your heart.

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old March 28th, 2009, 05:22 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts

Hi there. I haven't push Charlie away. As he is helping me more then I thought. I'm finding it very hard to do anything that I did with both them. I can't let Charlie out in our back yard as the 1st time I call both Charlie and Jazz to come inside. Also when Charlie comes into a room that I'm in. I wait to see why Jazz isn't coming. Then I realize that she isn't. I will be getting her ashes with in five days. I don't understand how everyone ( my hubby and my five year old daughter) can just go on. Just like it was another day. I know that everyone grieves in different ways. I want to see my daughter cry. My husband cried but she did't. I didn't get mad, I just don't understand. I hate it when everyone says it is for the best and she is in a better place. WELL NO SHE ISN'T. She should be with me. Better. So that we can go back out to the dog parks, play together. so I can see her get excited when I open up a candy wrapper. And watch her know that the next one is for her. I feel very cheated. 8 years was just not enough time with her. I want all of her 23 puppies back. That I all found great homes for. I really dont want them I want her. They all have very high standers to live up to. As I can't express what a great dog was. mommies little angel. Now you are with Deanta, April 99 - July 10, 2002, and your puppie Angel Feb:c ry: 2008.
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:23 AM

Your little girl may not understand the permanence of death at her age. She may have delayed grief.

Children and grief:
http://vetmed.illinois.edu/petcolumn...cle.cfm?id=112
Explains how different age children perceive death:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/explain...-ts/page1.aspx
Books for children about pet death:
http://childrensbooks.about.com/od/t...p/petdeath.htm
Coping with your grief:
http://www.pet-loss.net/

I really understand what you are going through. It has been 6 months for me this week. I can so relate to your story about opening the candy. My little Tipper's favorite treat was the ears from the marshmallow Peeps bunny candies. When I saw the Peeps in the store this year for the first time, I could not quit crying. Odd things can make you break down. You are mourning her and feeling robbed of your special time. My little girl was a rescue. She was 11, so she had a decent life, not a long life, but still a good life. We were together for 5 days short of 7 years. I wanted more. Time is precious. Remember that she may not be by your side, but she will be forever in your heart. to your family.
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Hey, I want to tell you that I know what you are feeling. One week and three days ago we had to put our dog, Monty, to sleep. He was my best friend for 14 years and I miss him so much. Everything I do reminds me of Monty and it hurts. When we were driving him to the vet that day, he also seemed like he was doing better.....but I knew he really wasn't. And have a very hard time with the fact that one minute he was there with me and the next he was gone. I don't know if I will ever forget that feeling.
I just want to you know that I am truly sorry for your loss. And your right, 8 years isn't long enough. But know that you have this great support system here where you can say whatever you are feeling. It really is helping me and I hope it helps you.

Sorry for your loss.
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM

Pic of Sick Jazz

here are some pic of when Jazz was getting sicker
Attached Images

Old April 13th, 2009, 02:24 AM

update

Well I miss Jazz so much. I didn't think it was ever happen this way. I thought that our Cat fritz would go first. As he is going on 12 years old....

Well Charlie is doing much better. A couple of days after we put Jazz down. I knew that I had the room for Tubby..... He is Jazz and Charlie's pup from there first litter. So I made my hubby bring home tubby. So that he can play with Charlie....

Charlie didn't really remember him but got used to him... Tubby doesn't want to lay down... he is always chewing on Charlie.... Charlie is ok about it for a while then he wants to go and be with me. When I'm sleeping. Tubby doesn't know how to stop and just lay down. He is always on the go... Want to chew on everything. I have got him is own toys, Bones, Sticks. Anything that I wouldn't mind him chewing...

He is getting better and now knows that he isn't aloud to chew on Candace's stuff animals. (Candace is my daughter) Only that ones that I give him. We cage him only when we are sleeping or go out. Sometime if charlie get really mad at Tubby, then I will put him in the cage, just to get him to settle down.

I can't believe that Tubby can chew thru a dog toy in 5 minutes. I got him a Tennis ball on a rope. He had is gone before I could start to play with him with it. He's quick...... charlie never played. I couldn't never get him to want to. He would just drop the toy and rather want to be patted....

He is a really great huger and loves kisses... The bad things is Tubby is all Black and Charlie is White with tan ears.... So when they go out an play in the backyard,... Charlie comes in Black too.... I don;t like it... It took Jazz about 4 years to turn into a great dog.... I didn't think that I would be dealing with Puppies over again.

Now my friend that got one of Jazzand Charlie's puppy from there second litter. Can keep her. Her name is Bella. She looks just like Jazzmin. I can't get over it. I have found great house for all my puppies... I know that I need to keep there guys.
As Tubby was the first pup:: born. Right on my pillow. Then Bella was from the second litter and she looks so much like Jazz. It is like I look right in her eyes and see her mother. I will post some pics of my newest members of our Family. I don't like not having my Jazz but these puphelp me more then any body would know.

Mommy to
Dogs
Deanta R.I.P April 2000 - July 10, 2002
Jazzmin R.I.P May 13, 2002 - March 27, 2009
Charlie D.O.B Aug 2007
Jazz and Charlie Pups
Tubby Feb 21, 2008
Bella September 3, 2008
Catz
fritz feb 1999
Chub chub June 2004
Teddy 2007