Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Closed Thread

Old June 4th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Golden Owner

Argument on Switching Dog Foods

Can someone please settle an intense argument that my girlfriend and I are having about my dog's food?

Background info:
I started out this journey not knowing anything about food and have researched in great detail to educate myself as to what's best for my dog. In that learning process, I've made several food changes.

8 weeks: Purina puppy chow to Blue Buffalo. Even not knowing anything, I knew that the puppy chow had to go.
3 months: Blue Buffalo to Royal Canin (Non-Large Breed.) Didn't seem to like the Blue so I switched to what his sister was on.
4 1/2 months/present: Royal Canin to Solid Gold WolfCub. Research and consulting my vet prooved that I should be feeding a large breed food. Also I wanted to get him on the WolfCub after researching their website along with recommendations from this forum. This transition is still taking place.

During all this, the food transitions were gradual but Sampson has had spells of loose stool. No doubt this is my doing because of switching his food. Now, however, I know that I will be staying on the WolfCub as it appears to be a great food.

The argument: I'm hurting the dog by changing his food too much.

Her stance: It's too much for him and you're going to "mess him up."

My stance: The dog is growing normally and is absolutely 100% healthy. The switches, although many, are justified.

I hate to bring my troubles into the forum but I need help on this one. This really has nothing to do with who's right or wrong but rather what is best for the health of Sampson. If I'm indeed hurting him by these changes, I have to know. As I value all of your opinions, I'd love to hear what you think about this topic. Thanks in advance.
Old June 4th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Double post: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27399
Thread closed to avoid confusion.
Closed Thread