Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old November 24th, 2007, 07:20 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

New and in need of some info!

Hi Folks:

I am the proud owner of 2 dogs (a toy and a lab mix), 2 lovebirds, fishies, and am owned by 14 or so feral kitties. I hate to introduce myself this way but I am looking for a vet who is willing to give a greatly reduced rate for fixing the kitties and their mommies (and daddies if I can find them). We have built a 1/4 acre fenced in area with a line of trees and an insulated, fully carpeted (walls, floor and ceiling) shed for the kittens. At the moment I have 14 in there and have 2 more running I want to get in. I am afraid they won't survive the winter. The mommies would have to be live trapped and taken into vet that way. The kitties are ok with me but don't like strangers. They range in age from 8 months down to 3 months. I am willing to max my cards to get them fixed but dang, that won't take long. I live about 15 minutes outside of Hamilton and would be willing to travel a fair distance if I could get a good rate.
I appreciate and and all suggestions except for taking them to a shelter. I will not do that! They are happy and well looked after here and I don't like the alternative.
Thanks in advance for any help.
This looks like a terrific site! I can't wait to meet new people!
Old November 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Doggie Wench

Welcome to the forum . Great job you're doing saving all those kitties .

I won't suggest you leave them at a shelter if you're willing to care for them but would you consider calling a shelter, explain what you're doing and see if their vets can do the spay/neutering? Or perhaps you can call a local cat rescue and ask to use their vet. Chances are that these are the lowest prices you'll find.
Old November 24th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Doggie Wench

Just thought of the veterinary College in Guelph...perhaps they can refer you to low cost spay/neuter clinics.

Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1
(519) 824-4120 ext. 54401
Old November 24th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

14+kitties! Have you ever heard of Queensway Veterinary in Simcoe? I know it would be a big drive but they are the cheapest around here that I know of..Last I heard it was 75.00 for neuter and 100.00 for a spay but I would honestly think with that large of a crew they would be willing to help out..I also heard there are places that capture ferels and re release them bit I dont know the names??

Good Luck and welcome ! there is alot of great info here!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 24th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

where eaxcatly do you live???? brenda and the pins.
Old November 24th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Brenda..Grimsby is not far from Hamilton, Ontario...maybe 15 minutes or so?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:59 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Wow!!!
Thank you very much for the prompt replies!!! I thought I would check back in before I headed for bed on the off chance. Didn't think I would have any replies yet. This really is a terrific site!!!!!!!!
First of all....... thank you luckypenny and Cindy for your answers. I have phoned many many vets but they don't want to give any more than about 5% off the regular price and wanted to make sure the kittens had rabies shots as well which put price right back up. Once the big surgeries are over I will gladly get the shots for them but can't do both things at once. Cindy, Queensway gave me a price of $80/males, $110/females + shots. We had actually phoned them on Friday. I will keep them in mind. I will most definetely phone the vet college in Guelph, luckypenny. I phoned a few shelters but no luck. I guess their vets are busy too.
The moms that come back here to have their litters have all had 2 litters each this year. I guess that is the norm now with global warming.
Brenda, I am sorry I forgot to put Ontario on my location secton. Bad me.
One more thing...does anyone feel like giving a quick lesson on posting pics with profile? I have some of the babies I would love to share. They are so sweet.
Thank you again for the fantastic replies!!!
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh a kittythank you soo much for beeing such a wonderful person
I hope you find a friendly vet to give you whole-sale price
I don't know much about Guelph Veterinary College,but it is possible they could do it cheaper,worth a phonecall.
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:01 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thank you for that. Don't know about being an . I just know they were put here for a reason and I will do my best to look after them. They are so sweet and defenseless against this cruel world.
I love all domesticated fluffs. The barking ones too. Presently have 2. Was trying to talk hubby into adopting a 3rd but no go. Guess pet food bill is high enough for him.
I am phoning the college asap tomorrow morn. Hope to hear some good news. I have 5 kitties that need done very soon.
I love this site. People are so friendly and helpful
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:04 PM
150% PRO S/N

Chico, your kitty in the picture looks identical to one I had the pleasure of being slave to for almost 19 years! He has been gone for a long time but I have tons of fond memories.
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes.I agree everyone here is great and 100% animal-lovers +several wonderful rescue-people.
Please let us know what happens and more pics,please