Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 21st, 2011, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Toronto bans the sale of pets in pet stores

what a wonderful day!!! Now we only hope Cornwall follows suit.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...-in-pet-stores

Toronto city council voted Wednesday to ban the sales of dogs and cats in pet stores.

“You can no longer buy dogs in a pet store,” Coun. Glenn De Baeremaeker told reporters.

De Baeremaeker had proposed the bylaw back in May, arguing that many of the animals come from puppy mills.

“Animal cruelty has to stop,” De Baeremaeker added.

Earlier this year, council voted to restrict pet stores to selling dogs and cats that only come from shelters, humane societies and certified breeders.

Now, no dogs or cats will be sold in pet stores – no matter where they come from.

For one Toronto shop, that’s been their policy all along.

“We choose not to sell cats or dogs,” Caleb Gallagher, dog and cat manager at Menagerie Pet Shop on Parliament Street, told CityNews.

“We don’t believe that a pet store is a healthy environment for puppies and kittens. They need to get out and walk, they need exercise.”

“A lot of the dogs that come into pet stores, they come from puppy mills,” Gallagher added.

Council ruled that pet store owners will now be able to take in shelter or rescue dogs and adopt them out, much like local humane societies.

Opponents of the bylaw say that if customers can’t get what they want at a Toronto pet store, they’ll go to Mississauga or other cities in the GTA to find a dog or cat.

Toronto is the second Canadian city to restrict the sale of animals in pet shops. Richmond, B.C. decided to ban the sale of dogs in pet stores in 2010.
Old September 21st, 2011, 05:36 PM
Mickey, my angel

Fantastic.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old September 21st, 2011, 07:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

This is good news, but it's a little confusing to me. These two snippets don't make sense:

Quote:
Earlier this year, council voted to restrict pet stores to selling dogs and cats that only come from shelters, humane societies and certified breeders.

Now, no dogs or cats will be sold in pet stores – no matter where they come from.
and

Quote:
Council ruled that pet store owners will now be able to take in shelter or rescue dogs and adopt them out, much like local humane societies.
Is 'adopt them out' defined differently than selling? And will the pet stores be required to properly screen homes? Or will they be acting as agents for the shelters who will be doing the screening? And what about cats? Will they be able to adopt out cats as well?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 21st, 2011, 07:50 PM

All very good questions Hazel!
Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor

ITS ABOUT TIME !!!!!!
Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
This is good news, but it's a little confusing to me. These two snippets don't make sense:

and

Is 'adopt them out' defined differently than selling? And will the pet stores be required to properly screen homes? Or will they be acting as agents for the shelters who will be doing the screening? And what about cats? Will they be able to adopt out cats as well?
Hazel, what this means that that the rescues and shelters are invited to adopt out their animals at the locations. The animals are brought in that day, and people are encouraged to see all available animals. It is the responsibility of the rescues or shelters to screen potential adopters. In some cases, qualified store personnel are also able to adopt out the cats if there is an agreement to leave the cats in the stores. There is no profit made by the stores themselves. All proceeds go to the respective shelter or rescue.

Usually during these adoption events, the animals that are not adopted (dogs mainly) leave with the rescues or shelter. Sometimes if there is a two day event, the store may hold until the next day. It depends of course on their space and also their policies.

There is no 'sale' of animals. The store simply hosts the shelters and rescues to show their animals. From my experience with this, it is a win-win situation for the store and the rescues/shelters. It is a great opportunity to educate the public as you would be surprised how many people still do not know about rescue groups or about shelters and what gorgeous animals they actually have.

Again, the adoption fee is minimal and goes directly to the organization that adopts out these animals.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

the store doesn't make money Hazel, but the plus side for them by doing this is because who ever adopts the animal will also have to stock up on supplies.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
the store doesn't make money Hazel, but the plus side for them by doing this is because who ever adopts the animal will also have to stock up on supplies.
Exactly!. Win-win which makes it profitable for the store and a home to an animal that really needs that second chance.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Hazel, what this means that that the rescues and shelters are invited to adopt out their animals at the locations. The animals are brought in that day, and people are encouraged to see all available animals. It is the responsibility of the rescues or shelters to screen potential adopters. In some cases, qualified store personnel are also able to adopt out the cats if there is an agreement to leave the cats in the stores. There is no profit made by the stores themselves. All proceeds go to the respective shelter or rescue.

Usually during these adoption events, the animals that are not adopted (dogs mainly) leave with the rescues or shelter. Sometimes if there is a two day event, the store may hold until the next day. It depends of course on their space and also their policies.

There is no 'sale' of animals. The store simply hosts the shelters and rescues to show their animals. From my experience with this, it is a win-win situation for the store and the rescues/shelters. It is a great opportunity to educate the public as you would be surprised how many people still do not know about rescue groups or about shelters and what gorgeous animals they actually have.

Again, the adoption fee is minimal and goes directly to the organization that adopts out these animals.
I've seen such events in the past organized by stores that don't sell pets, but are you sure this is how this law is meant to be interpreted? I thought they were suggesting that the store would house the dogs from rescues, etc the same way that puppies were.

In any case, I think there were only about 7 stores in all of Toronto licensed to sell puppies. This will be a nice preventative though and it's a great start to get the ball rolling in other cities and municipalities.

This will truly have an impact if the same type of law can be passed province wide.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I read in another article somewhere that this law will also apply to the sale of dogs at flea markets.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochi View Post
I've seen such events in the past organized by stores that don't sell pets, but are you sure this is how this law is meant to be interpreted? I thought they were suggesting that the store would house the dogs from rescues, etc the same way that puppies were.
This is not what I have experienced at all. Each store will have their own policies I suppose. I do know however for cats this is exactly what is happening in some stores. There is an agreement with these establishments and the shelters to keep some of the adoptable cats within their facility. I have not heard of one rescue however that has agreed to this.

I guess time will tell to see what each establishments will be doing and what agreements are made with the respective shelters and/or rescues.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Halo was adopted at a pet store from the SPCA, eleven years ago in Richmond, BC. The store had a pet room where they had dogs and another room with cats. They were all SPCA animals, and they stayed at the store. When I applied to adopt her they said I had to wait 24 hours before I could take her home, but I argued with them and they let me take her. Nobody from the SPCA interviewed me.

This for Toronto may be a small step, but it's huge overall and hopefully will just be the tip of the iceburg to start it all over. Good on them.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:38 PM
owned by Tucker

Sugarcatmom I was just wondering that cause I would guess that would be the next place that would be bombarded with puppies from mills. I know already they sell them there but I bet it would be taken over. I just wonder what is gonna happen to all the doggies in the pet mills
Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

BEWARE "flea markets"
Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Senior Contributor

its actually illegal to sell "planned" litters at a flea market and if you see one spilled water dish, one cage in the sun, report them, I do each time I go and stay there to watch them get fined and they are usually removed, they do come back, but after so many times they will at some point give up
Old September 22nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Thx, BenMax and Melinda. We have pet stores here that act as adoption centers, totally run by the shelters/rescues that put them to good use, and the arrangement is a win-win all around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I guess time will tell to see what each establishments will be doing and what agreements are made with the respective shelters and/or rescues.
This was the part that worries me, because I've heard of pet stores that act as 'brokers'. That's usually not a good arrangement for the animals, which is why I asked. If the arrangements are as you posted a few posts above, though, that would be great! Is that written into the law somewhere do you know?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 22nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
owned by Tucker

My daughter just adopted a kitten from a pet store they keep the animals there for the OSPCA but you have to go through the shelter for the adoption the pet store has nothing to do with it.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Many years ago,I knew of 3 families who bred their female cats and supplied a pet-store we used to have with kittens.
But that ended about 20yrs ago,now Pet-Smart is the only place where you can get kittens and they all come from rescues,of Course HS also has cats/kittens,dogs/puppies.
It's one giant step in the right direction and should be implemented in all of Canada!
Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I don't think there is any place left in Kingston that sells cats and dogs . Every pet store I know adopts out on behave of the two local HS.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey