Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 12th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
L4H there are laws that state it is a criminal offense if you willfully inflict pain or harm on a pet that is under your care and control. This is what people are pushing for. The reason animals have no rights in this country is because of all the people who just sit back say "Oh, why bother. Nothing's going to be done. No one is going to held accountable. All they will get is a slap on the wrist." If people aren't willing to stand up and fight for what they believe, then sorry... they shouldn't be complaining about anything.

Just my
But it's the "intent to inflict pain or harm", all this guy has to say I didn't mean to do it, I wanted a clean, quick kill and using a gun would be proof that he tried to do a quick kill. The burden of proof is on the prosecutor, not the defense.

I am not saying I agree with what happened, because I don't. I was absolutely disgusted. It was horrifying and morally wrong . I blame the fact that a business was allowed to keep 300 dogs . No business should be able to do so, it only leads to poorly kept dogs and killings such as what did happen.

I absolutely agree that the laws will only change if people are screaming at the government, and I mean a lot, because there is going to be hunters and farmers that will also be screaming at the gov't to not change them. What I read of this petition was to charge the person who did the killing, not change the Canadian animal cruelty laws.

I just think to waste energy on getting angry at the prosecutor for not charging (I am sure they are looking into the law and trying to come up with an argument that may win their case) this man when in fact, he may not be able to, the energy needs to go into changing the law.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 12th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

They are actually looking at criminal charges. I don't know if you have read the official WBC document, but what he claims to have done is horrific! He also posted on a web forum and those posts will be included in the evidence against. He knew what he was doing was wrong, and cruel. But he stated he had no other choice. People ALWAYS have a choice. That's what set us apart, and make us even more despicable as a race... we tend to make the wrong choices the majority of the time. But back to the criminal charges. What will make it possible is the fact the he knew what he was doing, he knew he was killing the dogs in front of each other, causing them stress and actually causing one to attack him. He shot half of one of the dogs (Suzie, the mother of his family dog) face off. He said her scream was the most awful sound and it caused him to drop her leash. She ran from him screaming, with her eye hanging out of the socket, another dog. When he tried to approach her to finish the job, the other dog attacked him. He knew after dog #15 that he was torturing them, yet he continued, killing another 85.

But it's the "intent to inflict pain or harm", all this guy has to say I didn't mean to do it, I wanted a clean, quick kill and using a gun would be proof that he tried to do a quick kill. The burden of proof is on the prosecutor, not the defense.
He didn't mean to do it... 100 times?? He won't be able to use that as a defense. If it were only one dog, he could say that. Maybe even 10. But he stated himself that the other dogs knew what he was doing, stressed out, attacked him, tried to run etc. At one point he said he would shoot them and when they didn't die he would slit their throats. He knew the kills were quick or clean, and that's why he had a knife as a backup.

I personally think that anyone who loves animals and wants better laws in place to protect them should read those documents. It will bring you to tears and make you angry. Hopefully, angry enough to stand up and make some noise. I pray that he greatly exaggerated to get the PTSD paid, but I don't really think he did. Even if he did exaggerate, the fact that he killed all those dogs is true. They have found the mass grave and the dogs (what is left) will be recovered as evidence.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 12th, 2011, 02:40 PM
-

Here is his WSIB claim....at first it was denied then a review was carried out, consequently it was then approved.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Iv2ibED&pli=1#

Proving "intent" is not as easy as it seems on the surface. Regardless that it is 1 dog or 1000 dogs, if the "intent" to cause pain and suffering is not there it makes it that much more difficult to bring any charges....sigh.
Old February 12th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Here is his WSIB claim....at first it was denied then a review was carried out, consequently it was then approved.

Proving "intent" is not as easy as it seems on the surface. Regardless that it is 1 dog or 1000 dogs, if the "intent" to cause pain and suffering is not there it makes it that much more difficult to bring any charges....sigh.
That is true, but that will never change unless people speak up. You have to fight. If people are not willing to do that, nothing will change and this will continue to be viewed as acceptable behavior in the eyes of the law. Maybe the petitions, walks, marches etc. won't be enough to hold anyone accountable, but it CAN be enough to change the laws so this doesn't happen again. But, as I said, unless people are willing to come out of their cocoons, comfort zones, etc and start doing something to help, it will continue. There are people from all over the world rallying. There are memorials being held as far away as South Africa and Italy. If there's enough support from the world community, and those of us who live here in Canada and say enough... something WILL get done.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 12th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

It was approved because his lawyer stated that the stress was sudden, even though he had "euthanized" (his words, not mine. Mine would be slaughtered) over 1000 dogs and puppies in the past few yrs. His lawyer claimed that he had never had to kill so many at one time, so it was a sudden incident (which is what it takes to be able to claim under post traumatic stress disorder). What needs to be changed here is the fact that you can collect even if you are the one who brought on the event that caused you stress. If you "choose" to do something that stresses you out, you should be on your own.

Old February 12th, 2011, 03:07 PM
-

I agree with you Rguerts

As the law stands today it is hard to prove "intent"......believe it or not the current law is an improvement on the old one ....Canda refuses to recognize animals as anything more than "property".

Ontario has the strongest Animal Cruelty Laws in Canada and it much easier to guarantee some sort of prosecution even though once it reaches the Courts the penalties are almost laughable.

Judges are given the power to give harsher penalties but rarely does that happen....sigh
Old February 12th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I agree with you Rguerts

As the law stands today it is hard to prove "intent"......believe it or not the current law is an improvement on the old one ....Canda refuses to recognize animals as anything more than "property".

Ontario has the strongest Animal Cruelty Laws in Canada and it much easier to guarantee some sort of prosecution even though once it reaches the Courts the penalties are almost laughable.

Judges are given the power to give harsher penalties but rarely does that happen....sigh
I know, it's pretty sad
I don't know if all the media attention in the world will help in getting anyone held accountable for what's already happened because of the way the laws are worded, but it can be enough to have those laws rewritten and/or updated. I have a very busy life, and a lot to deal with already, but if my voice will help in anyway, I'll be there

Old February 12th, 2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
And btw... is it REALLY necessary for you to always be so argumentative and rude to people? Debate, or disagreeing is one thing... but to be so blantantly ignorant isn't called for.
I agree with you Rgeurts. Soundy, you are more than welcome here and feel free to state your opinion on whatever you wish, but you may find that most of us on this board are very passionate about our pets and tend to get "emotional" (what human that cared about animals wouldn't in this case?) when such a horrific tragedy occurs, such as this. I understand your points on this issue, but I think there are more tactful ways to go about presenting your case.

I think we can all be respectful to each other without being rude, no?

The vibe I have got from the time I've been on pets is that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all. I know for myself, if I can't offer input on an issue without being respectful to others here, I don't post... it's just that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
Public demonstrations would be awesome, afterall look what the Egyptians managed to achieve thru public demonstrations, the sad thing tho, is Canadians from time to time voice displeasure, but it's short lived and never loud enough to make a real difference. Perhaps if we had the determination that the Egyptians have demonstrated we really could change the laws of the land.
Unfortunately there will always be those that claim we are emotionally charged, rumormongers, brainless and silly. And of course there will always be those that will say animals die get over it.
It's those attitudes that make me love animals even more.
LMPG, your my hero... you took the words out of my mouth.

Quote:
That is true, but that will never change unless people speak up. You have to fight. If people are not willing to do that, nothing will change and this will continue to be viewed as acceptable behavior in the eyes of the law. If there's enough support from the world community, and those of us who live here in Canada and say enough... something WILL get done.
I agree 110%! The squeakiest wheal gets the grease... no matter what, petitions such as these can only cause good IMO.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old February 12th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Like I said the people that owned the dogs, the company that made a buck off their pulling sleds, and the man that slit and shot the dogs, all deserve to burn in hell for an eternity. Whether they do or not is unfortunately not my decision to make but I will be screaming, I will be protesting, I will be writing and calling members of parliment.
And if I can I would like to organize a rally in Calgary, not just for dog guardians but animals of every type guardians.
The laws need to change.
And I do hope those involved all burn in hell I make no apologies for my anger and disgust.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
And if I can I would like to organize a rally in Calgary, not just for dog guardians but animals of every type guardians.
LMPG there is a rally set for tomorrow in Calgary. This is the FB link:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php...43960132332295

Here is the info in case you don't have FB:

Calgary, AB - Memorial walk for the 100 Slaughtered Sled Dogs

Time
Sunday, February 13 · 2:00pm - 4:00pm
Location Pathway in front of edworth park 5050 spruce Dr Sw North side (facing Shaganappi trail/16th ave) Calgary, AB
Created By
Boycotting Outdoor Adventures in BC, Whistler
More Info:
People across BC are doing Memorial walks to remember the 100 Slaughtered dogs.
I plan on meeting on the pathway in front of Edworthy park, and we will walk down that pathway for as long as people feel they can go. Please feel free to bring your dogs if you have.
I plan on bringing and holding a picture of a Husky (Sled Dogs) please feel free to do the same.
Please join me in remembering these poor beautiful dogs that were slaughtered so unnecessarily.

Old February 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I absolutely agree that the laws will only change if people are screaming at the government, and I mean a lot
Quote:
That is true, but that will never change unless people speak up. You have to fight. If people are not willing to do that, nothing will change and this will continue to be viewed as acceptable behavior in the eyes of the law. Maybe the petitions, walks, marches etc. won't be enough to hold anyone accountable, but it CAN be enough to change the laws so this doesn't happen again. But, as I said, unless people are willing to come out of their cocoons, comfort zones, etc and start doing something to help, it will continue. There are people from all over the world rallying. There are memorials being held as far away as South Africa and Italy. If there's enough support from the world community, and those of us who live here in Canada and say enough... something WILL get done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiek View Post
I agree 110%! The squeakiest wheal gets the grease... no matter what, petitions such as these can only cause good IMO.
Quote:
Whether they do or not is unfortunately not my decision to make but I will be screaming, I will be protesting, I will be writing and calling members of parliment.
The laws need to change.
I started another thread with a website to send a letter to the PM, your MP, the Justice Minister and Opposition Critic regarding the need to change Canada's Animal Cruelty Laws if anyone is interested ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75254
Old February 13th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

Time
Location Pathway in front of edworth park 5050 spruce Dr Sw North side (facing Shaganappi trail/16th ave) Calgary, AB
Created By
More Info:
I plan on meeting on the pathway in front of Edworthy park, and we will walk down that pathway for as long as people feel they can go. Please feel free to bring your dogs if you have.
I plan on bringing and holding a picture of a Husky (Sled Dogs) please feel free to do the same.
Please join me in remembering these poor beautiful dogs that were slaughtered so unnecessarily.
Thank you for that info!
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old February 13th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I started another thread with a website to send a letter to the PM, your MP, the Justice Minister and Opposition Critic regarding the need to change Canada's Animal Cruelty Laws if anyone is interested ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75254
Thanks Rainbow.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 13th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

Time
Created By
More Info:
Regurts, hubby and I will be there. I was supposed to finalize an adoption for today, but she hasn't returned my call so we are coming to the rally. We will be bringing Kato our Rotti and Jersey one of our Pitgirls, afterall NO dog deserves that fate.
Cya there!
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old February 13th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor

LMPG, were won't be going to the walk in Calgary, unfortunately
It's a 6 hour drive total. We are going to the candle light memorial in Innisfail this eve, it's only a 3 hour drive round trip

If I had known about the Calgary event yesterday (one yesterday and one today), we would have made that trip, but it's hard on Sunday as all 3 of us work early tomorrow. Take a lot of pics for me!!

And thank you for showing your support!! Every body counts

Old February 13th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
LMPG, were won't be going to the walk in Calgary, unfortunately
It's a 6 hour drive total. We are going to the candle light memorial in Innisfail this eve, it's only a 3 hour drive round trip

If I had known about the Calgary event yesterday (one yesterday and one today), we would have made that trip, but it's hard on Sunday as all 3 of us work early tomorrow. Take a lot of pics for me!!

And thank you for showing your support!! Every body counts
OHhh too bad. OK well, that's too bad, would've been nice to meet ya.
I didn't know about the one yesterday, do you know if there are any others being planned in Calgary? I'll go to as many as I can.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old February 13th, 2011, 01:21 PM

Hope and I will be there.
Old February 13th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
OHhh too bad. OK well, that's too bad, would've been nice to meet ya.
I didn't know about the one yesterday, do you know if there are any others being planned in Calgary? I'll go to as many as I can.

Maybe this summer we can get together! I don't mind the drive on a Friday (I only work Monday-Thursday) or Saturday. It's just a little too long on a Sunday having to work Monday lol. I posted another thread with a FB link to an organization that is doing some wonderful work keeping this in the public eye. They are linking all the rallies/walks on their page in the events section.

This is the link to the post:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75256

There is a candle light vigil set for April 23 (anniversary date) and places all over the world will be joining in. I'm organizing the event for Edmonton, and I think there is already one for Calgary

Old February 13th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitona View Post
Hope and I will be there.
Thank you Kitona!! All support is very much appreciated

Old February 13th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I went, and the turn out was good! Of course I wish there were more but I was impressed with how many showed up.
The first half was amazing, ppl honking in support. However the last half, was not so great. More like a wilderness walk along a sometimes very treacherous path. But I'm glad I did the entire loop.
Kato, made friends with a big majestic sled dog named Louie, and Jersey made buds with a little Yorkie.
There were lots and lots and lots of dogs.
I made some quick signs for hubby and I and a lady took pics of them to post on the boycott OA site.
I got to meet a lovely lady with the Daisy Foundation at the end, and I put my name in to volunteer for them as well.
My legs hurt, but it was worth every second.
Hubby took camera but forgot it in the car, so he ran to get it at the end and managed to take a pic of me plopped on my butt on the snow and ice cuz I couldn't stand anymore when we finally arrived full circle.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old February 13th, 2011, 09:20 PM
owned by Tucker

signed but don't know if it will help any, and its too late for those poor puppies
Old February 13th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy lover View Post
signed but don't know if it will help any, and its too late for those poor puppies
It is too late for those poor puppies, but it isn't too late for the ones that are left (200). And it certainly isn't too late to change the laws so if something like this happens again, they can be held accountable! Thank you for signing!

Old February 13th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I went, and the turn out was good! Of course I wish there were more but I was impressed with how many showed up.
The first half was amazing, ppl honking in support. However the last half, was not so great. More like a wilderness walk along a sometimes very treacherous path. But I'm glad I did the entire loop.
Kato, made friends with a big majestic sled dog named Louie, and Jersey made buds with a little Yorkie.
There were lots and lots and lots of dogs.
I made some quick signs for hubby and I and a lady took pics of them to post on the boycott OA site.
I got to meet a lovely lady with the Daisy Foundation at the end, and I put my name in to volunteer for them as well.
My legs hurt, but it was worth every second.
Hubby took camera but forgot it in the car, so he ran to get it at the end and managed to take a pic of me plopped on my butt on the snow and ice cuz I couldn't stand anymore when we finally arrived full circle.

That's awesome!!! There was a great turnout in Innisfail too, for as small as it is. I expected maybe 10, but there was close to 50! Beautiful dogs, alot of Huskies and Mals, and many other breeds large and small! I took some pics and will submit them to BOA. I'll be heading to the one in Red Deer next Saturday. We met some wonderful people

Post your pics
I'll post mine as soon as I get a chance!

Old February 13th, 2011, 10:55 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
L4H there are laws that state it is a criminal offense if you willfully inflict pain or harm on a pet that is under your care and control.
If in fact those are the words in what the laws state those very words may get him off. These were not pets. They were business assets. That's it, that's all. Business assets so therefore disposable.

The whole thing sickens me. What is wrong with our world that we value life so little?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 13th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
If in fact those are the words in what the laws state those very words may get him off. These were not pets. They were business assets. That's it, that's all. Business assets so therefore disposable.

The whole thing sickens me. What is wrong with our world that we value life so little?
I believe the actual law states "Animal". What will get him off the charges is a loophole. The law states "willfully causes or allows", but you can't prove willful intent
That's what people are trying to change, the wording. A bill did pass that allows for stiffer penalties, but it doesn't do any good to have stiffer penalties for a crime you can't convict due to loopholes

I read something today that was SO true regarding the stiffer penalty law:

It's like doing a brake job on a car who's engine won't start.... pointless.

Old February 16th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Chris was kind enough to share this link with me. I it will shed a little more light on what really happened and possibly allow for criminal charges to be made. YAY for the courts!! This alone is progress, even if it is due to public pressure!! http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

‎Outside the court, SPCA lawyer Chris Rhone told CTV News that he was happy with the decision.

"The court found that the investigation into the potential criminal acts outweighs the interest of the worker to be protected," he said. "I'm pleased with it."

YES! Scumbag 's like that shouldn't have rights to begin with IMO

Old February 16th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Chris was kind enough to share this link with me. I it will shed a little more light on what really happened and possibly allow for criminal charges to be made. YAY for the courts!! This alone is progress, even if it is due to public pressure!! http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

‎Outside the court, SPCA lawyer Chris Rhone told CTV News that he was happy with the decision.

"The court found that the investigation into the potential criminal acts outweighs the interest of the worker to be protected," he said. "I'm pleased with it."

YES! Scumbag 's like that shouldn't have rights to begin with IMO
Amen rgeurts! With that decision will he lose his WCB payments?
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old February 16th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Amen rgeurts! With that decision will he lose his WCB payments?
That's what I'm hoping for!!! I still don't see how he got them to begin with. Work related PTSD should NOT be paid if YOU are the one who created the stress

It just blows my mind! So technically, I could do something completely stupid, and even possible criminal, go to the doctor and say I can't sleep, eat etc... that I stressed myself out so bad I can't function and then I can sit at home, on my ass and collect EI. WAIT ... that's not a bad idea!!!

Old February 16th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Senior Contributor

AND... for the first time (at least that I have ever heard of), animals rights are taking precedence over human rights!! What is the world coming to?

It's gotta be the peer pressure, at least in part

Old February 17th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
AND... for the first time (at least that I have ever heard of), animals rights are taking precedence over human rights!! What is the world coming to?
It's gotta be the peer pressure, at least in part
Shocking I love it. And make the scum give back the money he has already gotten.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog