Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old December 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM

Making Patties

I am getting a new pup in a few days, a Great Dane, and I have decided to feed him barf. In preparation, I was going to begin making up some patties and freezing them; however, I have a problem:

If I use a mix of roughly 1/2 ground meat and 1/2 vegetable/fruit mush (what is suggested in the Dr. Billinghurst books), the mix comes out way too soft to form patties from it.

Do you just feed the soft meat and veggie goop, or do you do something to thicken the mix up enough to form the patties?

Thanks for the help.
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to our Forum Fjällklättrare,I have no clue,just answered because I see you are in Norway.
We have tons of knowledgable people here,who feed raw,so stick around,you'll get answers soon.
Oh and we love Great Danes.so if you can post pics,please do..
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjellklatrer View Post
I am getting a new pup in a few days, a Great Dane, and I have decided to feed him barf. In preparation, I was going to begin making up some patties and freezing them; however, I have a problem:

If I use a mix of roughly 1/2 ground meat and 1/2 vegetable/fruit mush (what is suggested in the Dr. Billinghurst books), the mix comes out way too soft to form patties from it.

Do you just feed the soft meat and veggie goop, or do you do something to thicken the mix up enough to form the patties?

Thanks for the help.
Welcome to pets.ca Fjellklatrer .

Dr. Billinghurst recommends 60% rmbs (raw meaty bones) and 40% vegetables, with some organs as well. Does your ground meat include bone and organs? Please don't forget to add these two as they are essential in your puppy's diet.
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:55 AM

My meat does not include bone, but it does include organs. I have not yet found a place that will make the ground meat with the bones in it. Per 1kg of meat and vegetables, I added 100g of liver.

I thought the 60/40 rule was RMB/pattie mix. According to the books, the patties should be 50/50 to 40/60 meat/veggies or fruit. I started with 50/50 just to keep it simple.

Thanks.
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:44 AM

The meat/organ/ vege patty mix should be about 40% if you are following Billinghurst. Then the other 60% should be RMB( chicken necks, turkey wings or legs, lamb riblets, pork riblets) basically anything that has relitively soft bone, non weight bearing bones are best, and has an approx 50/50 meat to bone ratio. Ahh too many ratios!

When you make the patties I find it helpful to drain some of the water out of the veges first so they stick together better.

Good luck with the puppy!
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com